Cool Viewing your flightpath in *3D* with Google Earth free version

Old January 21st 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mutts

Default Cool Viewing your flightpath in *3D* with Google Earth free version

This is effing cool.
I am doing this with Garmin stuff here.

Latest free Google Earth version.

Download your track data from your GPS unit with MapSource.
Save it to disk.

Convert it on this page here to a format that Google Earth can use for
altitude data.........

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map?form=googleearth

A fellow over at sci.geo.satellite-nav explains just how easy it
is....

"Leave everything on the complicated form exactly how it is and the
only thing you have to enter is the UPLOAD field for where your *.GPX
file is on your hard drive. The web site converts it directly to a
*.KML file. Save it then click on it and your Google Earth starts up
and it is in true 3D mode to view the track of the plane."

In Google Earth right click on the track, select "properties"

Go to the alittude tab and select "absolute".

Have fun playing around with this.
I find that changing the elevation exageration under options helps see
things a little better too. 1.5 works nice.

Old January 21st 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mutts

oh yeah, one more thing...

Since nearly everyone is using Google earth these days,
you should be able to email your passengers the converted track file
and they can re-live your flight with them and see just where they
were.

Old January 21st 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 12:17:57 -0800, Mutts wrote:

Since nearly everyone is using Google earth these days,

IBTD.

#m
--
I am not a terrorist. http://www.casualdisobedience.com/
Old January 21st 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Adam Schneider

Mutts wrote:

"Leave everything on the complicated form exactly how it is and the
only thing you have to enter is the UPLOAD field for where your *.GPX
file is on your hard drive. The web site converts it directly to a
*.KML file. Save it then click on it and your Google Earth starts up
and it is in true 3D mode to view the track of the plane."

In Google Earth right click on the track, select "properties"

Go to the alittude tab and select "absolute".

It's much easier to select "absolute" as the altitude mode in GPS
Visualizer's input form before submitting your file. (It's under
"Track options.") That way you don't have to mess around with anything
within the Google Earth application. Also, it allows you to take
advantage of colorization by speed or altitude.

Adam

Old January 22nd 07, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Frank[_8_]

"Mutts" schreef in bericht
I am doing this with Garmin stuff here.

Latest free Google Earth version.

Download your track data from your GPS unit with MapSource.
Save it to disk.

Convert it on this page here to a format that Google Earth can use for
altitude data.........

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map?form=googleearth

Thanks for the information.
But I am wondering: if I use the "View in Google Earth" option in Mapsource,
why don't I see the altitude of the flightpath in Google Earth? Is this a
bug?

Old January 22nd 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 1/21/2007 3:10:39 PM, Mutts wrote:

Download your track data from your GPS unit with MapSource.
Save it to disk.

Hey, Mutts, any chance you could post a couple of raw data lines from your
GPS's track data file that you upload to this site?

I would like to see the format in which this file is presented, then use the
data I retrieve from the track log from FlightAware.com and convert that
track log data into the format you use.

If there is a way to download track data history from my IFR-certified Garmin
GNS430 to use for this, I don't know the way. Thanks,

--
Peter
Old January 23rd 07, 09:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Peter,

I would like to see the format in which this file is presented, then use the
data I retrieve from the track log from FlightAware.com and convert that
track log data into the format you use.

For that, I'd recommend putting into the GPX format, which seems to become the
universal standard for storing GPS data.

If there is a way to download track data history from my IFR-certified Garmin
GNS430 to use for this, I don't know the way.

There isn't. Certification and all...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 24th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 1/23/2007 4:04:22 AM, Thomas Borchert wrote:

For that, I'd recommend putting into the GPX format, which seems to become the
universal standard for storing GPS data.

I'll give it a shot, Tom. Thanks.

--
Peter