You Know You're Old Dept.

Old December 29th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Juan Jimenez[_1_]

Default You Know You're Old Dept.

The only one in that list that I've flown is the T-28. The other day I was
in Charlotte and it turns out they have an aviation museum there. Of all
things, they have an H-46 helo from the last Marine squadron I worked at,
HMM-161. That was a weird feeling.

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message
Juan,

You may be correct. Now let me see where I fit. Definately not 90+;
however, SNJ, SMB, T-33, T2J, T-28, T-34, A3D, A6A, P2V, P5M, R4D. Oh my,
I must be getting old!!

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

"Juan Jimenez" wrote in message
.. .
Nah, when you know you're getting old is when you _start_ finding them in
the museum. By the time you can only find them in museums you already
know you're an old fart, and you're probably volunteering at the museum.

And I just got a flashback of a 90+ yr old volunteer at the Vintage
Flying Museum who flew B-17's in WWII and still gives tours, clambering
all over the airplane to teach people about the history of the airplane.
Everytime I think about that it reminds me what it feels like to see
"awesome" in person...

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message
I get the same type of a blank stare when I mention A3D.

You know you're old when ...the only place you can find an aircraft you
flew during your military career is a museums.

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

wrote in message
ups.com...
You know you're old when some kid posts a picture of a plane you've
flown in captioned: 'What the hell is THIS?'

(It's an AJ-2, son. A nice airplane and one of the largest to have
flown off an Essex-class carrier.)

-R.S.Hoover

Old December 29th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Harry K

flybynightkarmarepair wrote:
wrote:
You know you're old when some kid posts a picture of a plane you've
flown in captioned: 'What the hell is THIS?'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:AJ_Savage.jpg == not the posting
R.S. is referring to, but it will do in order to further the
discussion.

(It's an AJ-2, son. A nice airplane and one of the largest to have
flown off an Essex-class carrier.)

-R.S.Hoover

My version of You Know You're Old When: a class of ships,. where you
served on the "first of class", is decommissioned. All of them.

You know know you're old when every unit and base you were ever at no
longer exists. I was in for 21 years and only 1 unit out the many I
was at world wide is still in existance. That includes all the TDYs.

Harry K

Old December 29th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

ups.com...

wrote:
You know you're old when some kid posts a picture of a plane you've
flown in captioned: 'What the hell is THIS?'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:AJ_Savage.jpg == not the posting
R.S. is referring to, but it will do in order to further the
discussion.

(It's an AJ-2, son. A nice airplane and one of the largest to have
flown off an Essex-class carrier.)

-R.S.Hoover

My version of You Know You're Old When: a class of ships,. where you
served on the "first of class", is decommissioned. All of them.

You know know you're old when every unit and base you were ever at no
longer exists. I was in for 21 years and only 1 unit out the many I
was at world wide is still in existance. That includes all the TDYs.

Harry K

Harry,

I can't top that one.

Old December 29th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

NAW. You know when you are getting old when you forget to zip up.

You are really old when you forget to zip down.

--
Stuart Fields
Experimental Helo magazine

www.vkss.com
www.experimentalhelo.com

Old December 29th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Juan Jimenez[_1_]

"Wayne Paul" wrote in message

ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Neither can I. New River's still there, so is Cherry Point. But El Toro's
gone. And Tustin's done gone too... or rather, still there but the jarheads
are all gone.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...54245&t=k&om=1

Juan

Old December 30th 06, 11:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dave S

You know know you're old when every unit and base you were ever at no
longer exists. I was in for 21 years and only 1 unit out the many I
was at world wide is still in existance. That includes all the TDYs.

Harry K

Harry,

I can't top that one.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Even my late father would not be able to top that.. He was AF and USA...
Rucker is still there
Bragg
Shafter, Wheeler, Hickam

Dunno about his time in Europe..
Laredo AFB is off..
Da Nang is definitely off the list..
Oui-jom-bu or whatever, Korea.. Is the US still there in that town with
Helos?

He was so many places in 20 years.

Dave
Old December 30th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Harry K

Dave S wrote:

You know know you're old when every unit and base you were ever at no
longer exists. I was in for 21 years and only 1 unit out the many I
was at world wide is still in existance. That includes all the TDYs.

Harry K

Harry,

I can't top that one.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Even my late father would not be able to top that.. He was AF and USA...
Rucker is still there
Bragg
Shafter, Wheeler, Hickam

Dunno about his time in Europe..
Laredo AFB is off..
Da Nang is definitely off the list..
Oui-jom-bu or whatever, Korea.. Is the US still there in that town with
Helos?

He was so many places in 20 years.

Dave

After some cogitating I realized that I had not counted Lackland AFB
(basic training). I think that still exists. My specialty was Russian
Linguist with USAFSS (Security Service). I haven't kept track but I
think even that name has changed. We had a _lot_ of small bases around
the world, most that one wouldn't want to be at.

Harry K

Old December 31st 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger[_4_]

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 07:29:59 -0800, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields"
wrote:

NAW. You know when you are getting old when you forget to zip up.

You are really old when you forget to zip down.

You are tuely getting old when it's your back that's stiff when you
get up in the morning.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old December 31st 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Roger wrote:

You are tuely getting old when it's your back that's stiff when you
get up in the morning.

Hey, I resemble that remark... For me one of the signs of being over
the hill was going to the motorcycle dealership and asking for a part
for my XS11 and the guy behind the counter asks "what's an XS11.)

Tony