Is this B-52 photo real?

Old February 16th 04, 11:00 PM
James Hart

Marc Reeve wrote:
Kulvinder Singh Matharu wrote:
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:23:02 +0000, Kulvinder Singh Matharu
wrote:

Here's the real deal...

http://www.militaryaircraft.de/aviexpics11/F18sound.jpg

Of course, other photos and videos here....
http://www.globemaster.de/airextreme/jets.html

Including this one, which various l00ns have claimed represents a B-2
breaking the sound barrier:

http://www.militaryaircraft.de/aviexpics11/b2.jpg

You mean it's not a picture of it de-cloaking?

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk

Old February 16th 04, 11:09 PM
BUFDRVR

Besides Missouri has the home of the B-2, much more attractive to me.

Except if you actually like seeing things fly. One squadron (of 3) at Barksdale
puts up twice the amount of daily sorties as the whole 509th BW. You hit
Barksdale at the right time, you'll see more B-52s taking off, landing, in the
pattern or taxiing around than there are B-2s in existance.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old February 17th 04, 12:55 AM
John R Weiss

"BUFDRVR" wrote...

One squadron (of 3) at Barksdale
puts up twice the amount of daily sorties as the whole 509th BW. You hit
Barksdale at the right time, you'll see more B-52s taking off, landing, in the
pattern or taxiing around than there are B-2s in existance.

Last time I was in Barksdale was 1980 or so...

Trying to get out after a fuel stop, but the weather went below mins for the
A-4. A C-118 (IIRC) landed through the fog and spewed an ORI team. I watched
from Base Ops as they scrambled to get half of SAC in the air at one time.
Impressive show!

Better news was that all the heat from the Buffs taking off raised the vis just
enough for T/O mins for the A-4. As soon as they stood down the alert, I was
outta there!

Old February 17th 04, 01:47 AM
BUFDRVR

Better news was that all the heat from the Buffs taking off raised the vis
just
enough for T/O mins for the A-4.

See, BUFFs can even change the weather

I was #7 of a 12 ship MITO one morning as a young co-pilot. My aircraft
commander for the exercise was an experienced IP who decided, just prior to
engine start, that I would do the takeoff. He was unphased when I told him I
had never done a MITO from #2 let alone #7. I'll never forget him picking up
the "committed call" because a.) I didn't know what to do with the airspeed
indicator jumping from 120 to 160 and back and fourth and b.) was focusing
nearly 100% of my energy on keeping us tracking down the *center* of the
runway. We broke ground, turned to our "fan heading" and instantly hit "dirty"
air that caused an abrupt pitch up. The pitch up was so violent and happened so
quickly and we were so low (about 50-60 feet AGL) that both of us shoved the
yoke into the forward stops without the obligatory transfer of aircraft
control. After about three seconds of terror, we hit clear air, he got off the
controls and calmy began the "After Takeoff Climb" checklist. Out of sheer
necessity I maintained my outwardly "cool pilot" demeanor, but inside I was
still reeling from having nearly stalled a half million pound jet just seconds
after takeoff. The discussion at level off was, obviously, about our post-T/O
adventure, and I was amazed by the "ol' heads", who thought nothing of it. In
fact our RN had a worse MITO story than we had just lived through! Incidents
like that made me appreciate the "Cold War" guys, who may never have dropped a
weapon in anger, but damn sure had put their lives at risk in preparing for
"the Big One".

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old February 17th 04, 04:42 AM
Jim Baker

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
[...]

I won't go into detail about my many MITO stories like the one above, but
many times, just as number 3, I was at FULL cross controlls just a few feet
off the ground in a Buff trying to keep the wingtips from hitting the
ground. Additional joy, in a G model you didn't look ahead down the runway
during takeoff because you couldn't see it. A water assisted MITO created a
black curtain of smoke from the Buffs ahead of you...you just looked over
the nose at the white line to stay on the rwy.

A tragic memory I have was watching a Castle AFB Buff (CCTS sortie with 10
on board) as #2 in a MITO go in a mile off the rwy at Mather AFB (Dec '82).
Watched that from the alert pad as an off going crewmember.

Much, much easier doing the same thing in a Bone. The guy ahead would
accelerate so fast you couldn't keep up. The winds in TX had a lot to do
with sweeping the rwy too.

JB

Old February 17th 04, 12:20 PM
BUFDRVR

A tragic memory I have was watching a Castle AFB Buff (CCTS sortie with 10
on board) as #2 in a MITO go in a mile off the rwy at Mather AFB (Dec '82).
Watched that from the alert pad as an off going crewmember.

Was this the infameous H following a G MITO?

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old February 17th 04, 02:36 PM
Jim Baker

Actually, the other way around. The G was #2 and was flown by an IP that
had "99%" H time in his career. A water assisted G will out accelerate an H
for about 90 seconds and the speculation, or maybe it was an actual finding,
is that he was getting too close and pulled power. The water didn't cutout
as it was supposed to do but rather flooded out some number of engines and
they then didn't have the power then to make it. More factors than that to
it of course, but thats the exec summary.

JB

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
A tragic memory I have was watching a Castle AFB Buff (CCTS sortie with

10
on board) as #2 in a MITO go in a mile off the rwy at Mather AFB (Dec

'82).
Watched that from the alert pad as an off going crewmember.

Was this the infameous H following a G MITO?

BUFDRVR

"Stay on the bomb run boys, I'm gonna get those bomb doors open if it

harelips
everyone on Bear Creek"

Old February 17th 04, 02:52 PM
Bill and Susan Maddux

One I never ever considered Minot as being close to me when I was in
Minnesota, because it was a long drive from central Minnesota, through
rolling hills, and open spaces. Plus I had spent enough time there doing
quick turns from Fairchild. I have never seen Barksdale before and know my
old bird is there or she use to be 61-0017.

Never really cared much about the B-2s before until I found out the 325th
was now at Whitman AFB.

But you see I have a love for the buff that goes beyond just a crew chief
and his aircraft. I met my wife under the No. 4 engine of 61-0017 in July
1991 when my starter had failed to motor the engine. I helped her to change
it and we have been together ever since. How we found love that day I will
never know. I was wearing my BCGs and dirty green coveralls. had hydro fluid
in my hair from a leaking servicing cart. So you can say my old girl set me
up with my new one. funny and weird I know, but that is how I feel about it.

Old February 17th 04, 11:32 PM
BUFDRVR

Actually, the other way around. The G was #2 and was flown by an IP that
had "99%" H time in his career. A water assisted G will out accelerate an H
for about 90 seconds

OK, I'm straightened out now. Despite the fact we're an "all H" force now, the
FTU still puts great emphisis on co-pilots comparing takeoff data when planning
for a MITO and they site the Castle mishap as an example of what can happen if
one jet out performs another on departure.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old February 17th 04, 11:34 PM
BUFDRVR

my old bird is there or she use to be 61-0017.

She still is. Wearing a Gold tail from the 11th Bomb Squadron (B-52 FTU).

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"