TIG welding video?

Old October 3rd 03, 08:26 PM
Russell Duffy

Default TIG welding video?

Greetings,

I've got a nice TIG machine, and everything I need to start using it. I've
been through the Miller CD of TIG basics, so I'm fairly familiar with the
process, and all the variables. What I really need now is a video, that
shows someone actually welding various bits of aluminum, and 4130. I've
played with both of these, and can manage to stick scrap pieces together,
but I really need to be able to see someone do it with the proper technique.
Can anyone recommend a TIG welding video, that shows someone actually
welding aluminum and 4130?

FWIW, I signed up for the Sportair workshop for Nov, but just found out that
it's full, and I'm not willing to wait until the next one in Feb. I'm
trying to avoid going the local school route, because I just don't care to
learn any more about the history of welding, and I don't want to spend a
bunch of time leaning about all the other methods.

Thanks for any suggestions that you can offer.

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3c at bellsouth dot net

Old October 3rd 03, 09:03 PM
Del Rawlins

On 03 Oct 2003 11:26 AM, Russell Duffy posted the following:
Greetings,

I've got a nice TIG machine, and everything I need to start using it.
I've been through the Miller CD of TIG basics, so I'm fairly familiar
with the process, and all the variables. What I really need now is a
video, that shows someone actually welding various bits of aluminum,
and 4130. I've played with both of these, and can manage to stick
scrap pieces together, but I really need to be able to see someone do
it with the proper technique. Can anyone recommend a TIG welding video,
that shows someone actually welding aluminum and 4130?

If you have experience with oxy-acetylene welding, the best thing you
can do is just get out and use the machine for a few hours. If you
don't have previous oxy-acetylene experience, you should probably get
some before trying your hand at the TIG. The video which came with my
Lincoln SWT175 showed welding of steel and aluminum. This past summer I
taught myself to weld aluminum with the machine and I found it to be
less of a challenge than I had been led to believe over the years.
There is just no substitute for practice.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old October 4th 03, 01:51 PM
Russell Duffy

This past summer I
taught myself to weld aluminum with the machine and I found it to be
less of a challenge than I had been led to believe over the years.
There is just no substitute for practice.

Del Rawlins-

Thanks for the comments. I don't really have much experience with OA, but I
don't think that's going to be a problem with learning TIG. So far, I've
had far better success than I imagined, but I'd still like to find a good
video for any tips that I could pick up.

Thanks,
Rusty

Old October 6th 03, 05:55 AM
Jim

Look he
news:sci.engr.joining.welding for all kinds of good tips.

Also check your local welding supply. Reps from both Miller and Lincoln
often have demonstrations at the stores for prospective customers. Sometimes
just watching a pro helps you to find the click. Just an example, I laid
1000 bricks once and not one was done right or well. I then went to a
jobsite where they were building a store and watched for 10 minutes. Then
went home and tried it. Several course laid perfectly in a lot less time
than before and every brick was right on. Welding is not as easy but it
works the same just to see what is happening.

just an opinion mindya
Jim

"Russell Duffy" wrote in message
. ..
This past summer I
taught myself to weld aluminum with the machine and I found it to be
less of a challenge than I had been led to believe over the years.
There is just no substitute for practice.

Del Rawlins-

Thanks for the comments. I don't really have much experience with OA, but

don't think that's going to be a problem with learning TIG. So far, I've
had far better success than I imagined, but I'd still like to find a good
video for any tips that I could pick up.

Thanks,
Rusty

New Aviation Website with aerobatic video clips [email protected] Aerobatics 1 November 17th 04 08:09 PM
New Aviation Website with aerobatic video clips [email protected] Aerobatics 1 November 17th 04 06:54 AM
turbo video Peter Holm Aerobatics 13 September 29th 04 11:31 PM
Welding techniques for 4130? Building The Perfect Beast Home Built 29 September 4th 03 08:52 PM
welding rod Del Rawlins Home Built 0 July 15th 03 11:21 AM