Constant speed propeller angle of attack and thrust?

Old August 18th 09, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
coriolis

Default Constant speed propeller angle of attack and thrust?

I find the aerodynamics of fixed pitch props relatively easy to understand -
the angle of attack varies with both forward speed and RPM.

However, something puzzles me about constant speed prop thrust. I realise
that the blades twist to give a different pitch, and therefore when you
increase MP to maintain the same RPM the blades will be at a higher helix
angle. However, won't the angle of attack (calculated by the relative wind)
by the same? Isn't that the idea? If the prop is at the same angle of
attack, why is the thrust higher? Once again, I know the pitch is higher,
but isn't the angle of attack the important thing in generating lift (which
is what thrust is) rather than simply the pitch angle? I've seen texts that
say you get a bigger bite, but that doesn't seem to explain why that matters
since lift is predicated on angle of attack.

Anyone have a good explanation?

TIA

Old August 19th 09, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 18, 3:03*pm, "coriolis" wrote:
[...]

If you increase MP you will increase the prop's angle of
attack. The governor is set by the prop control, and if it senses any
RPM increase as power is increased it will increase the pitch of the
blades. AoA therefore increases, thrust increases, speed increases; as
speed increases the AoA drops back some but not to the former value,
since the higher aircraft drag at the higher speed needs more thrust
to maintain and so the prop's AoA will need to be higher to create
that thrust. If it didn't change, the higher power (torque) would
increase the prop RPM, as with a fixed-pitch prop.

AoA on a prop can vary a lot. Common wisdom is that useful AoA will be
at least 2 degrees, varying with RPM and speed up to the stall angle
of the prop blade, which might be 15 to 18 degrees or so.

Dan
Old August 19th 09, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_8_]

"coriolis" wrote in message ...
[...]

http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182082-1.html

Best one I've seen.

Matt

Old August 19th 09, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article , "coriolis" wrote:

[...]

On a fixed-pitch prop AOA reduces as airspeed increases. RPM has to
increase in order to maintain a constant AOA until it reaches redline.

Essentially, the variable-pitch propeller increases angle-of-attack
(AOA) as speed or RPM decreases and MP remains the same.

Those propellers are also a set of compromises, since their twist is set
up to give maximum efficiency at a given airspeed/RPM. Deviations from
those conditions reduce efficiency.

You can make a simple program to map airspeed, RPM, AOA at various
stations along the prop span.

Old August 19th 09, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gpsman

On Aug 18, 5:03*pm, "coriolis" wrote:
isn't the angle of attack the important thing in generating lift (which
is what thrust is)

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/forces.html
-----

- gpsman
Old August 19th 09, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
coriolis

If you increase MP you will increase the prop's angle of
attack.

Ok, this is where I was going wrong. Most probably by my misreading of some
texts, I was under the impression that the blade would seek one particular
AoA (regardless of the pitch) throughout its operating range until it hit
the stops.

Thanks to all who replied.

Old August 19th 09, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:03:55 +1000, "coriolis"
wrote:

I find the aerodynamics of fixed pitch props relatively easy to understand -
the angle of attack varies with both forward speed and RPM.

However, something puzzles me about constant speed prop thrust. I realise
that the blades twist to give a different pitch, and therefore when you
increase MP to maintain the same RPM the blades will be at a higher helix
angle.

you are one confused puppy. let me correct some of that text.

the blade is twisted to give the same pitch at different radiuseseses.
the twist is something fixed in the shape of the prop blade, for
aluminium, during the forging process used to make the blade.
the pitch angle is a function of the circumfrence of the circle
prescribed by the radius point and the forward advance in one
revolution. the pitch angle = arctan(pitch advance/circumference)
typically the units are in feet. if you have the same pitch along the
blade then you have a helical twist in the blade.

in an inflight adjustable prop the blades rotate in the hub to change
the pitch as the hub is spun through the air by the engine.

you'll find it a lot easier to undersand if you use words more
precisely.

However, won't the angle of attack (calculated by the relative wind)
by the same? Isn't that the idea? If the prop is at the same angle of
attack, why is the thrust higher? Once again, I know the pitch is higher,
but isn't the angle of attack the important thing in generating lift (which
is what thrust is) rather than simply the pitch angle? I've seen texts that
say you get a bigger bite, but that doesn't seem to explain why that matters
since lift is predicated on angle of attack.

now, what dan said in another post.

Stealth Pilot

Old August 19th 09, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

coriolis wrote:
[...]

I'll give this a shot:
Fixed Pitch Prop:
prop AoA inversely proportional to IAS
prop AoA proportional to prop RPM

Const Speed Prop:
prop AoA inversely proportional to IAS
prop AoA proportional to throttle setting
& therefor shaft HP

Brian W
Old August 19th 09, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Franklin[_7_]

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:03:55 +1000, coriolis wrote:

Once again, I know the pitch is higher,
but isn't the angle of attack the important thing in generating lift (which
is what thrust is)

Thrust isn't lift. Lift is opposite weight. The forces are not with you.
Old August 19th 09, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Franklin[_7_]

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 15:24:04 GMT, Stealth Pilot wrote:

you are one confused puppy. let me correct some of that text.

the blade is twisted to give the same pitch at different radiuseseses.

He may be confused but *he* is not a misspelling moron.

Max RPM for constant speed Paul kgyy Owning 27 November 4th 05 09:06 PM
Constant speed props GE Piloting 68 July 3rd 04 04:08 AM
Rotax 914 / Constant Speed? Richard Riley Home Built 4 February 26th 04 03:01 PM
Constant Angle Non-Precision Approaches (CANPA) John Bell Instrument Flight Rules 0 October 24th 03 09:31 PM
Constant speed or constant attitude? Jim Soaring 37 September 3rd 03 12:41 PM