The Reformed Smoker Challenge

Old December 27th 17, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default The Reformed Smoker Challenge

With all the talk on 13.5m electric stuff, new class of "soaring competition" etc... A challenge for anyone currently flying only gliders with some sort of "method of propulsion":

Fly a season in pure glider to get your chops and credibility back up.

You don't have to buy a new glider, either swap with a friend for a year, or just remove key components from your MOP.
It's been 7 or 8 years since selling the ASH26E. The declared/completed 1000k in the ASW27 felt a better accomplishment than the longer one, landing with a cold engine, in the 26.
Jim
Old December 27th 17, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

My first 30 years and all my diamonds were flown in pure sailplanes.Â*
Now I have an engine for take off and for flying to other destinations
for soaring.Â* To date, I've flown my Stemme to Minden, Nephi, Logan, and
Montrose (CO).Â* Don't need no steenking tow plane no more.

--
Dan, 5J

---

Old December 27th 17, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 8:47:30 AM UTC-8, JS wrote:
With all the talk on 13.5m electric stuff, new class of "soaring competition" etc... A challenge for anyone currently flying only gliders with some sort of "method of propulsion":

Fly a season in pure glider to get your chops and credibility back up.

You don't have to buy a new glider, either swap with a friend for a year, or just remove key components from your MOP.
It's been 7 or 8 years since selling the ASH26E. The declared/completed 1000k in the ASW27 felt a better accomplishment than the longer one, landing with a cold engine, in the 26.
Jim

Feeling fractious and opinionated? I'd say you aren't a 'real' soaring pilot when you fly glass. Get in a 1-26 and fly a 1000K, then talk about your cred.

Old December 27th 17, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jfitch, I agree whole heartedly! 1000k has been done a few times in a 1-26 as have just under 50 people who have gotten their diamond badge exclusively in the 1-26. These little machines seperate the men from the boys. I've had glass, sold em and got into redoing all my badges in the 1-26. I'm having a ball and relearning how to soar xc where all that gets you down the road is your witts. Miss a thermal and your looking for a landing spot. Making low saves become a non issue as are outlandings. That becomes half the fun.. You can keep the engine, if the tow plane isn't available, my truck, a teenager, and 2000 ft of rope always is. Launching is never a problem.
Old December 28th 17, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Giaco

On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 6:27:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Jfitch, I agree whole heartedly! 1000k has been done a few times in a 1-26 as have just under 50 people who have gotten their diamond badge exclusively in the 1-26. These little machines seperate the men from the boys. I've had glass, sold em and got into redoing all my badges in the 1-26. I'm having a ball and relearning how to soar xc where all that gets you down the road is your witts. Miss a thermal and your looking for a landing spot. Making low saves become a non issue as are outlandings. That becomes half the fun. You can keep the engine, if the tow plane isn't available, my truck, a teenager, and 2000 ft of rope always is. Launching is never a problem.

By a few... you mean once? And it only took 63 years of dedicated discipleship for it to happen!
Old December 28th 17, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Twice. Both Daniel Shazam and Ron Schwartz have achieved 1000km in 1-26's.
Old December 28th 17, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

By a few... you mean once? And it only took 63 years of dedicated discipleship for it to happen!

Twice.
https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2....Id=-1819677200
https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2....htId=274069465
Old December 28th 17, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Twice and other flights got close. Because something takes time for the right wx and the right skill/experience means that it is a worthy goal to shoot for. Or maybe you just aren't interested in learning to fly that well Gianco lol.
Old December 28th 17, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 3:27:43 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Jfitch, I agree whole heartedly! 1000k has been done a few times in a 1-26 as have just under 50 people who have gotten their diamond badge exclusively in the 1-26. These little machines seperate the men from the boys. I've had glass, sold em and got into redoing all my badges in the 1-26. I'm having a ball and relearning how to soar xc where all that gets you down the road is your witts. Miss a thermal and your looking for a landing spot. Making low saves become a non issue as are outlandings. That becomes half the fun. You can keep the engine, if the tow plane isn't available, my truck, a teenager, and 2000 ft of rope always is. Launching is never a problem.

The hang glider buys will laugh at you all!

Tom
Old December 28th 17, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hell Tom, we laugh at ourselves half the time flying these low performance tin cans lol. Kinda similar to racing lawn mowers. Why do we do it? Cause its a fun challenge lol.
Dan

challenge me[_4_] Aviation Photos 0 August 5th 07 01:35 PM
Challenge: MI8 (0/1) Dave LaCourse Aviation Photos 0 August 4th 07 01:47 PM
Challenge (1/1) Dave LaCourse Aviation Photos 0 August 4th 07 01:36 PM
Challenge (0/1) Dave LaCourse Aviation Photos 0 August 4th 07 01:36 PM
The Challenge My F-4 James R. Jones Aviation Photos 3 August 4th 07 12:27 AM