A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

The Reformed Smoker Challenge

Old December 27th 17, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default The Reformed Smoker Challenge

With all the talk on 13.5m electric stuff, new class of "soaring competition" etc... A challenge for anyone currently flying only gliders with some sort of "method of propulsion":

Fly a season in pure glider to get your chops and credibility back up.

You don't have to buy a new glider, either swap with a friend for a year, or just remove key components from your MOP.
It's been 7 or 8 years since selling the ASH26E. The declared/completed 1000k in the ASW27 felt a better accomplishment than the longer one, landing with a cold engine, in the 26.
Jim
Old December 27th 17, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

My first 30 years and all my diamonds were flown in pure sailplanes.Â*
Now I have an engine for take off and for flying to other destinations
for soaring.Â* To date, I've flown my Stemme to Minden, Nephi, Logan, and
Montrose (CO).Â* Don't need no steenking tow plane no more.

On 12/27/2017 9:47 AM, JS wrote:
With all the talk on 13.5m electric stuff, new class of "soaring competition" etc... A challenge for anyone currently flying only gliders with some sort of "method of propulsion":

You don't have to buy a new glider, either swap with a friend for a year, or just remove key components from your MOP.
It's been 7 or 8 years since selling the ASH26E. The declared/completed 1000k in the ASW27 felt a better accomplishment than the longer one, landing with a cold engine, in the 26.
Jim

--
Dan, 5J

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Old December 27th 17, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 8:47:30 AM UTC-8, JS wrote:

Jim

Feeling fractious and opinionated? I'd say you aren't a 'real' soaring pilot when you fly glass. Get in a 1-26 and fly a 1000K, then talk about your cred.

Old December 27th 17, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Jfitch, I agree whole heartedly! 1000k has been done a few times in a 1-26 as have just under 50 people who have gotten their diamond badge exclusively in the 1-26. These little machines seperate the men from the boys. I've had glass, sold em and got into redoing all my badges in the 1-26. I'm having a ball and relearning how to soar xc where all that gets you down the road is your witts. Miss a thermal and your looking for a landing spot. Making low saves become a non issue as are outlandings. That becomes half the fun.. You can keep the engine, if the tow plane isn't available, my truck, a teenager, and 2000 ft of rope always is. Launching is never a problem.
Old December 28th 17, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Giaco
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 6:27:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Jfitch, I agree whole heartedly! 1000k has been done a few times in a 1-26 as have just under 50 people who have gotten their diamond badge exclusively in the 1-26. These little machines seperate the men from the boys. I've had glass, sold em and got into redoing all my badges in the 1-26. I'm having a ball and relearning how to soar xc where all that gets you down the road is your witts. Miss a thermal and your looking for a landing spot. Making low saves become a non issue as are outlandings. That becomes half the fun. You can keep the engine, if the tow plane isn't available, my truck, a teenager, and 2000 ft of rope always is. Launching is never a problem.

By a few... you mean once? And it only took 63 years of dedicated discipleship for it to happen!
Old December 28th 17, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Twice. Both Daniel Shazam and Ron Schwartz have achieved 1000km in 1-26's.
Old December 28th 17, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

By a few... you mean once? And it only took 63 years of dedicated discipleship for it to happen!

Twice.
https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2....Id=-1819677200
https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2....htId=274069465
Old December 28th 17, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Twice and other flights got close. Because something takes time for the right wx and the right skill/experience means that it is a worthy goal to shoot for. Or maybe you just aren't interested in learning to fly that well Gianco lol.
Old December 28th 17, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 3:27:43 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Jfitch, I agree whole heartedly! 1000k has been done a few times in a 1-26 as have just under 50 people who have gotten their diamond badge exclusively in the 1-26. These little machines seperate the men from the boys. I've had glass, sold em and got into redoing all my badges in the 1-26. I'm having a ball and relearning how to soar xc where all that gets you down the road is your witts. Miss a thermal and your looking for a landing spot. Making low saves become a non issue as are outlandings. That becomes half the fun. You can keep the engine, if the tow plane isn't available, my truck, a teenager, and 2000 ft of rope always is. Launching is never a problem.

The hang glider buys will laugh at you all!

Tom
Old December 28th 17, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Hell Tom, we laugh at ourselves half the time flying these low performance tin cans lol. Kinda similar to racing lawn mowers. Why do we do it? Cause its a fun challenge lol.
Dan