four course radio range video

Old April 11th 10, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Taggart

Default four course radio range video

Greetings:

Aircraft navigation in the 1940's

We just posted a Video on You Tube of a Four Course Radio Range
station in actual operation. We built a radio range station a few
months ago and put it on the air. You can see the You tube Video of
the radio range station.

When you are on You Tube ... in the search bar enter : Four Course
Radio Range you will see a picture & navigation in the 1940's

Please see the Video as this Range station is right out of Aviation
History We KNOW you will enjoy it! Please feel free to make any
comments about the Video on the You Tube comment area on the Radio
Range Video

Enjoy!!!
Old April 11th 10, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

Peter Taggart wrote
Aircraft navigation in the 1940's

What do you mean "1940's"? In 1959, I was a Naval Aviation Cadet in
Kingsville, TX completing my Radio Instrument Training in the Grumman
S-2F Tracker. Most of the Instrument Check flight was around the Alice
Radio Range and consisted of a "Range Orientation", "Tracking Inbound",
a "Two Engine Range Approach" followed by a "Single Engine Missed
Approach", a "Single Engine Range Approach", and then a "Manual Direction
Finding Approach" on one engine. The flight concluded back at NAS
Kingsville with a couple of "Single-Engine GCA's". There were no approaches
on the Check Ride using the relatively new "VOR" system as these were
considered "too easy".

Bob Moore
Naval Aviator V-15753
PanAm (retired)
Old April 11th 10, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Taggart

On Apr 11, 11:06*am, Bob Moore wrote:
Peter Taggart wrote

Aircraft navigation in the 1940's

What do you mean "1940's"? In 1959, I was a Naval Aviation Cadet in
Kingsville, TX completing my Radio Instrument Training in the Grumman
S-2F Tracker. Most of the Instrument Check flight was around the Alice
Radio Range and consisted of a "Range Orientation", "Tracking Inbound",
a "Two Engine Range Approach" followed by a "Single Engine Missed
Approach", a "Single Engine Range Approach", and then a "Manual Direction
Finding Approach" on one engine. The flight concluded back at NAS
Kingsville with a couple of "Single-Engine GCA's". There were no approaches
on the Check Ride using the relatively new "VOR" system as these were
considered "too easy".

Bob Moore
Naval Aviator V-15753
PanAm (retired)

Hi bob... Did you see the Video??? what did you think? I know the
range was used from 1928 to 1970 give or take few years We have
been having a BLAST with our 'range station at 41,000 feet we can
track it out to 300 NM!!! It is spot on! all four legs to boot!
let me know how you liked it!!

Dave
Old April 11th 10, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
VOR-DME[_3_]

I liked the video, and I particularly like the initiative. A more detailed
video, showing some use for on-course navigation and approaches (with a couple
of shots of sectionals from that time, showing the four courses) would have
been more informative to those unfamiliar. I sent the link to my former
instrument instructor who used to fly these in the Navy, but I had to
apologize for you for the poor title, as he is far to young to have been
flying in "the 1940's".

I liked the heroic music as the C-152 takes to the air, though I wonder if the
Captain really uses flaps on takeoff for this aircraft. I assume this is the
plane in which you are having "a blast" at 41,000 ft!

In article ,
says...

Old April 12th 10, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Taggart

On Apr 11, 12:23*pm, VOR-DME wrote:
[...]

We use Flaps all of the time! flaps 10 or flaps 20 this airplane is a
Cessna 150 with a 160 HP engine It is a mean short field airplane
with flaps 20 airborne in 350 feet with full fuel!