"Trying out" a different insturctor just to see - good idea? Badidea?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 5th 05, 06:06 AM
Euan Kilgour

GEG wrote:

I'm curious to know if it's a bad idea to "try" another
instructor for a flight, just to see.

Greg,

Well I had the best of both worlds. All of my pre-solo training was
undertaken with one instructor, and since then I've had a lesson with
all of the instructors in the club.

The good things about one instructor:

They get the best idea about your progress because all your flying is
with them and they can plan the lessons accordingly to build on your
strengths and iron out those weak parts.

You get more relaxed about flying with them so you don't stress out
with trying to dazzle them with your impressive flying skill. g

The good things about mulitple instructors:

From personal experience: each instructor will give you at least one

tip that will 'click' in your head and you'll become a better pilot
because of it.

Each different instructor may have a different solution to your
problem, one of these might be just the thing that you can get your
head around and use to fix your problem.

Its good practice flying with a stranger in the right seat for that PPL
checkride which is just around the corner.

What I do is fly most of my run of the mill lessons with the junior
instructors but for the cross countries try to get the Head CFI (our
one is quite the funny guy and thats the sort of person you want to sit
next to for a 3 hour flight).

But at the end of the day it comes down to this. Its your money,
choosing an instructor is your right so why not choose the one you
learn best with.