Converting a Motorola Surveillance "headset" for aviation applications

Old November 4th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Drew

Default Converting a Motorola Surveillance "headset" for aviation applications

Hey fellow Pilots!

I just recently purchased a motorola surveillance mike (sorry I will
post the model number in shop), for use in aircraft. Accordingly, I
have two sets of cords one sennheiser cord with built in PTT (4 black
bands) and a standard set of headset cords with no PTT.

I just received the headset with the standard cord (no ptt built in the
cord), and the only way the mike works is if you press the PTT on both
the Motorola mike and yoke simultaneously.

I explained to the technician that he would more than likely have to
connect and test the sureillance headset wired (Motorola) with the
Sennheiser PTT cords so the the Motorola PTT can work independently
from the yoke or anywhere else in the cockpit.

I know that if have used headsets with buitl in PTT (on the earcup) in
any aircraft and would like the same functionality.

Can anyone help? Unfortunately, as far as I know I cannot send photos
of the device and wiring in question but will gladly send to anyone who
can help.

Safe Flying, Regards, Andrew............

Old November 5th 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

I cannot beLIEVE you cheap sons of bitches who will do anything to convert a
military/commercial/"surveillance" headset to aviation use.

Why in the hell do you suppose there are aviation headset manufacturers who
have taken these considerations into account to bring a product to the
market? Or do you want us to discuss our proprietary and ten$ of thou$and$
of dollars worth of research in making aviation headsets so that you can
save a buck or two?

Jim

ups.com...