New Queer? for the fleet, EF-18G

Old December 31st 03, 08:41 AM
fudog50

ummmm yeah we can say EMI, and nothing will happen to the flight
controls when you jam. What, did VAQ-35 have experimental jammers that
jammed in the 60-400hz range? Remember? Jamming in the bandwidths and
freqs we jam in has nothing to do with onboard avionics and flight
control systems, otherwise every A/C in a current strike package would
be affected? Plus, extensive lab and flight testing is done before we
field a system,,,,,what exactly are you getting at elmshoot? Also,
without going into detail, you are forgetting that there is such a
thing as directional jamming? OBTW, glad you are perpetuating the myth
of Whidbey, I'll continue it,,,THE WEATHER THERE IS NASTY AND IT RAINS
300 DAYS OUT OF THE YEAR!!! So stay away, do your best to NOT get
stationed there!!

On 31 Dec 2003 05:20:23 GMT, (Elmshoot) wrote:

The next issue is why keep them at Whidbey (except for airspace and
whole lot of other reasons not the least of which is Elk hunting and
steelhead fishing) ;^

Ah I remember it well. The VAQ-35 Ops Rod and Gun club. The wind would be
howling snow flurries coming down at an 85 degree angle. These knuckel heads
would show up at work. Get the 75 minutes of work that they would spend all day
doing done in about 60 minutes. And then ask if they could go out and lay in a
freshly harvested corn field and wait for a duck to fly over.....
At least the squadron picknic later that month was interesting when the
bachelors would show up with a meat dish. The Wives Club girls from the big
city would be scarfing down huge quanities of duck or some other animal of the
wild until they learned the truth. I though one or two was going to puke on the
spot.

Back to the subject... What happens to the fly by wire jet when the master bad
is turned on? Can you say EMI?

Old December 31st 03, 08:55 AM
fudog50

First snowfall in 6 years???

It must have been a dream, the 3-4 inches (some places in Island
County got 6) of the white stuff that closed the base (except for
non-essentials) for 2 days in December 2001. Not nitpicking
Yofuri,,,but maybe you were deployed?

The Gold Plated Canopy required? for what? So the crew would feel
protected??? LOL, it sure never was "required" when it had delaminated
and there were no replacements back in 1999-2001!!! And the only way
you could get a replacement is if the delamination affected the pilots
vision, "safety of flight". (and/or if a Geekmos helmet had banged
away a Iarge percentage) I heard Jacksonville remedied this awful
situation and got more funding to start RFI'ng canopies about the end
of 2001. Then the first batches they put out were defective, but it
finally was fixed.

Yofuri, these comments may seem negative, sure hope you don't take
them that way, my perspective thats all, Happy New Year!!!

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:19:19 -0800, "Yofuri"
wrote:

Shucks, I had forgotten we had snow here at Whidbey. Today is the first
snowfall in six years, and it's melting tonight.

No big EMI problem. The isolated power systems for the main bangers largely
keep it away from the aircraft's internal circuitry. The RATS eat the EMI,
in other words. I'm sure the gold-plated canopy will still be required,
though.

Rick

Old December 31st 03, 09:01 AM
fudog50

The ranges in the cascades and olympics maybe??? Also, the
ALQ-99 support??? CVWP maybe??? You mentioned a "whole lot of other
reasons", which there are many. I think the biggest competition on the
west coast would be Lemoore of course, but I've heard about the noise
complaints and lack of hangar space there. Yes, there are noise issues
in Whidbey, I had to sign sort of a waiver when I bought my house
there 10 years ago that I knew I was in a certain noise area.. But I
know from experience here at the Lake and up at Whidbey, that the
400's are quieter than those 408 A/B's. It all depends which
politico's go for it the most I suppose.
I only hope from a logistics standpoint that they decide to
base it on both coasts. As a prior Prowler MMCO, it is very painful
and expensive to move 5 jets and 155 personnel plus all the support
items necessary cross country every deck cert, TESTA 1/2, TESTA 3/4,
COMPTUEX and JTFEX, just like the Tomcat guys have to do going east to
west. And very expensive.

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 19:45:34 -0500, Allen Epps
wrote:

In article , Andrew Toppan
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:31:01 -0800, "Yofuri" wrote:

Old news; already built and flying. Looking for a job?

EF-18G built and flying? According to who? The Navy apparently doesn't think
so, or they wouldn't have awarded a large contract to develop the aircraft.

F/A-18E/F is "built and flying". EF-18G has been under discussion and
preliminary development for some time, so the contract is no surprise.

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,

The F airframe has been fitted and flown with the the ALQ-99 pods which
will used as exiting as GFE or Government Furnished Equipment for the
project. The ESM pods on the wingtips have been flown and have gone
through extensive integration work. The simulator and avionics
integration work has been going on for at least 7 years as I flew the
sim in St Louis back in the 96 timeframe. It's evolved nicely and I
flew the more recent verion on a roadshow at Andrews last year. All in
all Boeing/Mcair as put a lot of their own money into this project
over the last little bit knowing the Navy would figure out the Prowler
was going to die much quicker than the projected. I would regard the
technology as low risk, the question will be more who gives up a slot
for E/F production if the Navy decides they want the airframes sooner
than 09.
The next issue is why keep them at Whidbey (except for airspace and
whole lot of other reasons not the least of which is Elk hunting and
steelhead fishing) ;^

Pugs

Old December 31st 03, 02:49 PM
Pechs1

many- EF-18G built and flying? According to who? BRBR

But what about tankers? What do current airwings, populated by a bunch of
'Bugs' use? Refueling packages on the wings of other Bugs??

Is the S-3 gone as a tanker?

Is there any plan to convert some of these to permanent KS-3s(A good idea,
IMO)?
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old December 31st 03, 03:51 PM
Mike Kanze

OBTW, glad you are perpetuating the myth of Whidbey, I'll continue it,,,THE
WEATHER THERE IS NASTY AND IT RAINS 300 DAYS OUT OF THE YEAR!!! So stay
away, do your best to NOT get stationed there!!

And then there's Rock Fever - a fatal disease. g

--
Mike Kanze

" . . . Greed powers the capitalist impulse as gasoline powers the
combustion engine, and, like gasoline, has noxious properties that must be
monitored."

- Julia Homer, Editor-in-Chief - CFO Magazine, December 2003

[rest snipped]

Old December 31st 03, 03:54 PM
Mike Kanze

Back in the early 1970s when the Prowler was hitting the fleet, the question
in FITRON Ready Rooms was, "How much gas can it give?"

Plus ça change!

--

"Pechs1" wrote in message
many- EF-18G built and flying? According to who? BRBR

But what about tankers? What do current airwings, populated by a bunch of
'Bugs' use? Refueling packages on the wings of other Bugs??

Is the S-3 gone as a tanker?

Is there any plan to convert some of these to permanent KS-3s(A good idea,
IMO)?
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer

Old December 31st 03, 04:33 PM
Allen Epps

In article , fudog50
wrote:

[...]

I think AlQ-99 support is pretty small potatos in the cost issue. None
of this will happen quickly so NUW will be around for awhile. I think
the issue will come down to training airspace. The Oly, Okanoagan and
Roosevelt MOA's and the Darrington Special Use airspace are simply not
available elswhere not to mention the IR and VR routes. If they don't
get used we will lose then and getting them back won't be an option.
The airspace at Fallon, Lemore, W-72, Key Weird and such are pretty
saturated let alone buildings, noise and all the other issues.

With regard to EMI and your comment about low band pods VAQ-35 did, in
fact, have two A/B band pods which went down into the low 200 MHZ range
and up to 1090MHZ IIRC. They were FIWC (aka FEWSG aka FTRG) assets and
were 0-3G limited and flared landings only. They were built on a low
band 99 pod and canoe and externally looked like every other low band
pod.

Pugs
Old December 31st 03, 04:53 PM
Elmshoot

Rick,
ummmm yeah we can say EMI, and nothing will happen to the flight
controls when you jam. What, did VAQ-35 have experimental jammers that
jammed in the 60-400hz range?

I will admitt that 35 had some interesting developmental pods. That might have
operated in that range. I will refrain from any further technical discussion
since I think we might be in a beadwindow situation or as Pugs might say he
doesn't know what he is talking about, either way enuf said.

Remember? Jamming in the bandwidths and
freqs we jam in has nothing to do with onboard avionics and flight
control systems, otherwise every A/C in a current strike package would
be affected?

Yes we used to fly in packages and set off other planes equipment.

Plus, extensive lab and flight testing is done before we
field a system,,,,,what exactly are you getting at elmshoot?

Do you remember when the USAF had some F-16's fly into the ground while in the
close proximity to high power radio antennas. They aren't called lawn darts for
nothing.

Also,
without going into detail, you are forgetting that there is such a
thing as directional jamming?

Yes, my point still stands

OBTW, glad you are perpetuating the myth
of Whidbey, I'll continue it,,,THE WEATHER THERE IS NASTY AND IT RAINS
300 DAYS OUT OF THE YEAR!!! So stay away, do your best to NOT get
stationed there!!

Whidbey has a very mild climate much nicer winters than in the midwest were I
live now.

Old December 31st 03, 08:01 PM
fudog50

Talk about beadwindow! The mild climate is one of the best kept
secrets about Whidbey!!! Shhhhhh!!!

On 31 Dec 2003 16:53:51 GMT, (Elmshoot) wrote:

Rick,
[...]