3rd Party Flarm data for Situational awareness

Old March 12th 13, 11:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex Kemp

Default 3rd Party Flarm data for Situational awareness

Hi there,

I’m getting a bit confused about what is broadcast and what can be
done with the data provided.

The main question is:
• Can I (from a ground station equipped with a Flarm connected to a PC
via a serial link) see other gliders around/above me in real time, and
display these on my own digital map for collision avoidance purposes.

I had planned to use my known position on the ground and the relative
distances in the PFLAA sentence to work out where the aircraft is, but
I understand that that info is only published if the aircraft is a
threat, is this true?

If this cannot be done, what’s the point of the data port spec?

Many Thanks and apologies if this is in the wrong place
Old March 12th 13, 11:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Alex,

The traffic data is sent out of each unit all the time. A FLARM unit on the
ground can receive the traffic data from all nearby FLARM units and send the
traffic data out its serial port - whether the nearby traffic is a threat or
not.

In the air, I can see all the traffic in the area on my FLARM display -
whether the nearby traffic is a threat or not.

However, I don't know how much range you will have if your FLARM is on the
ground. Ground obstructions will likely limit the range quite a bit. But
it would be a neat way to keep track of all your club's gliders - at least
the ones that are nearby.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
____________________________

Old March 12th 13, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

"Alex Kemp" *wrote in message

Hi there,

I’m getting a bit confused about what is broadcast and what can be
done with the data provided.

The main question is:
• Can I (from a ground station equipped with a Flarm connected to a PC
via a serial link) see other gliders around/above me in real time, and
display these on my own digital map for collision avoidance purposes.

I had planned to use my known position on the ground and the relative
distances in the PFLAA sentence to work out where the aircraft is, but
I understand that that info is only published if the aircraft is a
threat, is this true?

If this cannot be done, what’s the point of the data port spec?

Many Thanks and apologies if this is in the wrong place

I guess I don't understand why you, at a PC on the ground, need a
digital map for collision avoidance purposes (sounds like ATC)...
However, at Uvalde before launch, we watched the progress of the
sniffer on PowerFLARM - including rate of climb - on the small
rectangular display of one of the competitors. You, of course, only
see other FLARM equipped gliders within your line-of-sight.

My PowerFLARM Brick is connected to an Android (dell streak 5) phone
running XC Soar (via an IOIO board), and I can see, on my moving map,
the flarm targets (assuming I have the settings correct and am on the
correct page). One of the other competitors in Uvalde had connected
his PowerFLARM directly to his LX9000 for a neater cockpit, and
another pilot I know uses the LX8000 as his PowerFLARM display. The
data port spec seems to work well.

Old March 12th 13, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:23:23 AM UTC-4, AK wrote:
Hi there, I’m getting a bit confused about what is broadcast and what can be done with the data provided. The main question is: • Can I (from a ground station equipped with a Flarm connected to a PC via a serial link) see other gliders around/above me in real time, and display these on my own digital map for collision avoidance purposes. I had planned to use my known position on the ground and the relative distances in the PFLAA sentence to work out where the aircraft is, but I understand that that info is only published if the aircraft is a threat, is this true? If this cannot be done, what’s the point of the data port spec? Many Thanks and apologies if this is in the wrong place

I'm curious as to what collisions you are trying to avoid while on the ground.
Care to enlighten us further?
UH
Old March 12th 13, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

I have used an earlier FLARM type in the car.
Put it as far forward on the dashboard as you can while you're towing the glider out to the launch. On the hood or antennas on the roof would be better.
Jim
Old March 12th 13, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:19:43 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm curious as to what collisions you are trying to avoid while on the ground.

Hank, have you ever seen these guy fly Condor ?
See ya, Dave
Old March 12th 13, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:38:13 PM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:19:43 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I'm curious as to what collisions you are trying to avoid while on the ground.

Hank, have you ever seen these guy fly Condor ?

See ya, Dave

This will only work for traffic pattern, as currently flarm is limiting to 500m altitude range. I believe earlier on the range was not limited due to a bug, but in current beta version it is. Although 500m is plenty for collision avoidance, it is not enough for any other use such as buddy flying and monitoring from the ground. I asked them to make it a configurable option just like PCAS and ADS-B and they are considering it, but apparently it is not so simple.

Ramy

Flarm data logger TMA Soaring 1 June 3rd 12 10:03 PM
Has anyone used FLARM data to log tows? JS Soaring 2 March 15th 10 08:52 PM
Last Call -- Pool Party Tomorrow; HOPS party on Wednesday in OSH Jay Honeck[_2_] Owning 4 August 7th 08 09:42 PM
Last Call -- Pool Party Tomorrow; HOPS party on Wednesday in OSH Jay Honeck[_2_] Piloting 3 August 5th 08 01:16 AM
Last Call -- Pool Party Tomorrow; HOPS party on Wednesday in OSH Jay Honeck[_2_] Home Built 3 August 5th 08 01:16 AM