UNITED AIR LINES TO LAY OFF 950 PILOTS

Old June 29th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default UNITED AIR LINES TO LAY OFF 950 PILOTS

writes:

Like I said, it would help if you knew what "utilization of assets" means.

Does it include sales of mineral water?
Old June 29th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Nomen Nescio writes:

Not that I expect you to understand any of this.

Why do you write things that you don't expect me to understand?
Old June 29th 08, 07:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
terry

On Jun 29, 6:36*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
Pretty well, which is why it is a goal for most companies, not just
airlines.

Fewer flights increases utilization of assets? *Examples?

Economics 101 fixed costs and variable costs. fuel use per pax per
mile ( the main variable cost in running an airline ) decreasses
significantly for any aircraft as no of pax increases. so its pretty
obvious that flying airliners with MT seats becomes less sensible as
fuel prices rise.
Old June 29th 08, 08:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
terry

On Jun 29, 2:38*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Larry Dighera writes:
I expect to see a lot more of this sort of thing occurring as the
economy worsens:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel...ot-memo-june23...
* * Today we announced initial details concerning the first wave of
* * pilot furloughs resulting from our plans to take 100 aircraft from
* * our mainline fleet due to record high oil prices and a softening
* * U.S. economy. The first notices to furlough approximately 100
* * pilots for the flying month of September will be issued in
* * mid-July.

* * By the end of 2009, when we expect to complete the full reduction
* * of our 94 B737 aircraft and six B747s (see June 4 NewsReal), we
* * anticipate the need to furlough approximately 950 active pilots..
* * This process is one of the difficult but necessary steps we need
* * to take to size our business appropriately to reflect the current
* * market reality....

Companies that try to reduce costs rather than increase revenue eventually
tend to fold, because you can only reduce costs to zero (and you'll go out of
business long before that), whereas you can increase revenue indefinitely..
Cost-cutting is easy for even the stupidest corporate officers to understand,
but it's a poor, short-term, emergency measure, not a competent way to manage
a company.- Hide quoted text -

increase revenue indefinately hah, do you want to give us a list of
companies that have done that? and just out of interest which
companies have you managed? or perhaps you are simulating company
management?
Old June 29th 08, 11:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

terry writes:

Economics 101 fixed costs and variable costs. fuel use per pax per
mile ( the main variable cost in running an airline ) decreasses
significantly for any aircraft as no of pax increases. so its pretty
obvious that flying airliners with MT seats becomes less sensible as
fuel prices rise.

But pax numbers were not mentioned. All else being equal, fewer flights
equals less utilization of assets. If pax numbers per flight are also
changed, that has to be specified.
Old June 29th 08, 11:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

terry writes:

increase revenue indefinately hah, do you want to give us a list of
companies that have done that?

Microsoft, Amazon, Google, General Electric ... virtually all large companies.
They did not become large by cutting costs.

Power Lines.. Dan Piloting 16 August 22nd 06 06:15 PM
JOHN CHIPMAN OWNER OF CHIPMAN RELOCATIONS UNITED VAN LINES MAYFLOWER CATON MOVING & STORAGE likes to make many harassing/harassment phone calls are we having fun yet we Piloting 3 April 11th 06 01:36 PM
LINDA WEST of Chipman Moving & Storage/CHIPMAN UNITED VAN LINES likes to commit Fraud & Forgery likes to commit Fraud & Forgery capaliwoda Piloting 0 October 13th 05 04:08 PM
BEWARE OF Linda West (925) 876-7441 of CHIPMAN UNITED VAN LINES/Caton Mayflower Moving & Storage paupering Soaring 0 October 10th 05 07:54 AM