A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Spot X

Old July 15th 20, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Default Spot X

I am aware of the reviews on Garmin vs Spot. But was wondering if anyone has real world experience soaring with the Spot X and what are their thoughts of the Spot X? Thank you
Old July 16th 20, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike
external usenet poster

Default Spot X

On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 1:15:09 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
I am aware of the reviews on Garmin vs Spot. But was wondering if anyone has real world experience soaring with the Spot X and what are their thoughts of the Spot X? Thank you

I have owned and flown with original SPOT, than Gen3 and now SPOT X (the older, no Bluetooth version). I find the Flex plan with the option to suspend it for non-flying months financially sensible. Technically, it seems to be quite reliable, and the recent software on PC is quite decent to say the least. Have not used the text-messaging feature in flight ('Don't text when driving') but I know it works. All in all, I'm quite satisfied with it and don't plan to change it for any other options at the moment. The Bluetooth version brings with it even more interesting features, I believe, like connecting with your cellphone for text communication.
Old July 17th 20, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Spot X

On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 2:15:09 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

Had the original spot currently use an inreach mini, Saw this the other day might be of interest. Review on a new tracker and mention of a second new one.
https://www.outsideonline.com/241479...nicator-review
Old July 17th 20, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RR
external usenet poster

Default Spot X

"Zoleo also omits location tracking" which is one of the biggest items for a pilot. Showing where you were before you were incapacitated, and with luck, still transmitting from the ground.

RR
Old July 18th 20, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

Default Spot X

On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 2:15:09 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

I know one glider pilot with Spot X. I don't often look at the SSA - Glideport Aero tracker, but the one time I looked at one of his traces on the tracker it exhibited the same drop out problem every Spot 1/2/3 user has experienced.

T8
Old July 18th 20, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

Default Spot X

Must be something wrong on the east coast. My Spot almost never misses any data points. Both 1 and 3 have been rock solid.
Old July 18th 20, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Default Spot X

On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 7:07:02 AM UTC-7, Tim Taylor wrote:
Must be something wrong on the east coast. My Spot almost never misses any data points. Both 1 and 3 have been rock solid.

I had a gen 3 and it never missed a beat. I donated it to my glider port for the young pilots to use.
Old July 19th 20, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

Default Spot X

On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 11:50:13 AM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 7:07:02 AM UTC-7, Tim Taylor wrote:

I had a gen 3 and it never missed a beat. I donated it to my glider port for the young pilots to use.

So which is more relevant here, the report of not quite rock solid reliability (thanks for the laugh, that's a good one) or the report of UNreliability?

It's a darned good thing that the folks that build our gliders are better engineers than some of the guys that fly 'em.

T8