Ventus performance comparison

Old July 16th 20, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Ventus performance comparison

What differences are found between the Ventus C 17.6 and the Ventus 2bx?
Old July 16th 20, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

That is kind of apples and oranges. Comparing the two in 15m is easier. The 15m’s are very similar in performance overall with less than 2% difference overall.

1. The V2 has a slightly softer, i.e. more flex and softer ride.

2. The V2 main performance difference is in the ability to climb slightly better.

3. I would say the V2 is slightly more stable in both the run and climb.

I enjoyed my Vb and flew it over 500 hours. For the money the Ventus a,b, and c are one of the best deals for a modern 3rd generation glider.

I have an other 1000 or more hours in the V2a.

The longer tips on the Vc are nice in weaker conditions to reduce the wing loading and and allow you to fly in weaker conditions. It improves the l/d in the mid speed ranges. If you can get winglets on the 17.6 tips it will improve the handling, especially in thermals. The tips are not optimized for high speed and there is usually a crossover in the 90 knot range where it is better to fly in 15m with the higher wing loading.

If I was choosing between the two I would get the V2 if you can afford it. The control harmony makes it more enjoyable to fly day in and out.
Old July 16th 20, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Easier to say what is the same: they have word ventus in the name. Everything else is different.
Old July 16th 20, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, July 16, 2020 at 12:23:48 PM UTC-4, krasw wrote:
Easier to say what is the same: they have word ventus in the name. Everything else is different.

Not interested in competition. Just XC around North Florida - mostly weaker thermals.
Old July 16th 20, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Al McNamara[_4_]

At 01:50 16 July 2020, wrote:
What differences are found between the Ventus C 17.6 and the

Ventus 2bx?

As others have said, very different gliders, so hard to make a like for
like comparison, but I'll try:

- Ventus C is a 15m/17.6m glider, and (provided you have the tips)
can fly in either configuration. The V2b is pure 15m. If comparing the
15m variants, the V2b is a big improvement.
- Ventus C is early generation glass, great in it's day, Ventus 2b, 2nd
generation which was better in many ways, particularly slow speed
handling
- Ventus C's stall/spin characteristics are less forgiving than the Ventus

2 (particularly with 15m tips on). I'm unaware of any such issues with
V2 variants
- Dry, in weak conditions, the 17.6m Ventus C may have better
performance than the 15m V2b. At speed, ballasted, in better
conditions, the V2b is probably better even with 5m less wing.
However, the V2b is still very good in weak conditions.

It has been a long time since I flew the Ventus C, and in it's day I loved

it. My recent experience is mainly in Ventus 2c, rather than the 15m
'2b' but I have enough time in the 2b to say that if I had the choice
between the two, at an affordable/similar price it would be the 2b
every time.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Al