ASW 27 wing tip wheels

Old August 22nd 18, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ASW 27 wing tip wheels

Does anyone have experience with wing tip wheels on an ASW 27 ?

I am thinking about installing wing tip wheels on my ASW 27 (actually about 6-9 inches inboard of the wing tip). I was wondering if anyone has done this and how did it work for them. Did it change the handling characteristics? I am willing to accept a small decrease in performance (I expect it to be too small to notice).
Old August 22nd 18, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 9:52:37 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Does anyone have experience with wing tip wheels on an ASW 27 ?

I am thinking about installing wing tip wheels on my ASW 27 (actually about 6-9 inches inboard of the wing tip). I was wondering if anyone has done this and how did it work for them. Did it change the handling characteristics? I am willing to accept a small decrease in performance (I expect it to be too small to notice).

I've seen some custom wheels built on to the existing tip skids, two varieties.
The "Walter Quitt" wheels that Rex Mayes put on my 29 are great. Don't seem to do anything to performance, but help with ground handling. Williams Soaring Center sell the kit for I think $175 a pair.
Just uploaded a photo to the "Miscellaneous" photo album of the ASW27 Yahoo group (group link below).
Jim

Old August 22nd 18, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hank Nixon installed wingtip wheels on my ASW 24 last winter when we refinished the wings. They're almost identical to the tip wheels on the 201 Libelles; i.e., small wheels half buried in the tips. UH made a mold for the sockets that get recessed in the wingtips so I would check with him. However I believe the 27 wing thickness is somewhat less than the 24, and the available depth within the tip was one of the constraints we had to work with.

They work very well on landing (and takeoff, I suspect, though I haven't dropped a tip this year) and when moving the ship around on the ground. They're exactly what I wanted when I posted here last winter about this idea.

When we eyeballed the faired-in wheels with the original rubber tip skids, it appeared that the wheels were no less aerodynamic, considering profile and cross-sectional area. The other type of tip wheel that is completely enclosed in a fairing that sits on top of the wing skin wouldn't be quite as slick, although I suspect the impact on performance would be minimal.

Chip Bearden
Old August 22nd 18, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 11:52:37 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Does anyone have experience with wing tip wheels on an ASW 27 ?

I am thinking about installing wing tip wheels on my ASW 27 (actually about 6-9 inches inboard of the wing tip). I was wondering if anyone has done this and how did it work for them. Did it change the handling characteristics? I am willing to accept a small decrease in performance (I expect it to be too small to notice).

I've made 3D printable tip skids that screw into the existing tips skids - once you've filed a flat spot on them and then screwed in a couple of nut inserts into the existing, flattened tip skid. They accept a rollerblade bearing as a wheel which can be replaced if they get worn. They are two-part so you can have the attach bolts be captive, requiring a smaller Allen wrench and smaller hole in the skid. They are also left and right handed - canted a few degrees outboard so the wheel rolls flat when the wing is tipped over to the ground.

Here's a link to a screen shot of the CAD drawing. These are presently installed on two ASW-27B's

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FS...Rt5nwGFtdzfEdl

Andy Blackburn
9B
Old August 23rd 18, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 12:25:21 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:

I've seen some custom wheels built on to the existing tip skids, two varieties.
The "Walter Quitt" wheels that Rex Mayes put on my 29 are great. Don't seem to do anything to performance, but help with ground handling. Williams Soaring Center sell the kit for I think $175 a pair.
Just uploaded a photo to the "Miscellaneous" photo album of the ASW27 Yahoo group (group link below).
Jim

The ASW27 Yahoo group is a great resource.

I installed the wheels made by Rex Mayes. Works well. I like that they are attached using double faced tape (I use a good thick 3M product) which can "break away" without worrying about taking a chunk of the wing with them. My $0.02.

John OHM Ω
Old August 23rd 18, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

That's a very good point.Â* When a friend landed out in his new V3 in
rough ground, he lost both wing tip wheels and a good bit of the skin of
the under sides of the wings.Â* We found the wheels with the skin
attached to the bolts and embedded nuts.Â* He promptly replaced his tip
wheels with a pair which were glued on with contact cement after the
wing tips were repaired, of course.

--
Dan, 5J
Old August 23rd 18, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

One other possibility is to use nylon bolts. They should shear away if a wing comes down on rough ground.

Old August 23rd 18, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 1:45:25 PM UTC-5, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 12:25:21 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:

I've seen some custom wheels built on to the existing tip skids, two varieties.
The "Walter Quitt" wheels that Rex Mayes put on my 29 are great. Don't seem to do anything to performance, but help with ground handling. Williams Soaring Center sell the kit for I think $175 a pair.
Just uploaded a photo to the "Miscellaneous" photo album of the ASW27 Yahoo group (group link below).
Jim

The ASW27 Yahoo group is a great resource.

I installed the wheels made by Rex Mayes. Works well. I like that they are attached using double faced tape (I use a good thick 3M product) which can "break away" without worrying about taking a chunk of the wing with them. My $0.02.

John OHM Ω

I've had a few requests for a printable file.

Because the design is in two parts that are screwed together with short 8-32 bolts, it ought to come apart before ripping the wing off. ;-) You can even use nylon bolts if you want a even lower break-away force. Here's an updated link that includes the .stl file for printing and a picture of one installed.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Vr...0ILPkMcdEJ8C63

PM me if you are making a set and need a hardware list to complete assembly..

This is being provided for free without any guarantees or warranty.

Andy Blackburn
9B
Old August 23rd 18, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 1:59:32 PM UTC-7, Andy Blackburn wrote:
[...]

Just found out about another supplier of tip wheels, this one in Australia.
www.gliderwheels.net
Jim
Old August 24th 18, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

[...]

I use Andy's wheels on my 27, and am quite happy with them. Clever design. I recommend printing the parts from Nylon as it is very tough.

Matt