CFII instructor as passenger (FAA)

Old July 12th 05, 02:41 PM
Dave S

Default CFII instructor as passenger (FAA)

It IS possible for an instructor to give dual instruction without
logging (or being) PIC.

In one instance, I did some instrument training in my aero-club's
Grumman Tiger. The instrument instructor I used was not yet checked out
in the aircraft type in the club. So, from a club insurance point of
view, he was unable to be insured as PIC in that aircraft at that time.

I HAD been checked out by another instructor, and on his suggestion, we
agreed that I was the PIC for the entire flight, and that he was
providing instrument instruction.

Dave

wrote:
Hello,

I can't find a reference for this in the FAR/AIM.

The question, in the context of FAA IR training, is whether

a) I (assume I am legally PIC in the airspace in question) can carry a
CFII as a mere passenger, and

b) can the instructor take over as an instructor at an agreed point in
the flight

c) can the instructor revert to being a passenger at an agreed point
after the training took place

I am sure the answer to a) must be yes - it would be silly otherwise.
It's b) and c) I am not sure about.

Any response would be very interesting - with references please if
anyone feels this is illegal.

Old July 12th 05, 03:04 PM
Jim Burns

There is nothing in the FAR's that says an instructional flight or flight
instruction must begin and or end on the ground.

If you are legal to operate as PIC and current to carry passengers, your
CFII can obviously just be a passenger. At some time he can also pull out
the foggles and say "here, put these on and we'll do a little IFR "training"
on the way." Then you can pull them off and say "that's enough". Or he may
say, "just leave them on and I'll be your safety pilot, no more grilling and
harping on you." Or any number of scenarios.... "fly me to the practice area
and we'll work on maneuvers"... Just because an instructor is in an
airplane doesn't mean he is acting as an instructor, he may be acting as a
passenger, or as a safety pilot, switching roles as needed. I do believe
that as a professional CFII, he should be alert and ever conscious of the
progress and safety of the flight, willing and able to assist the "student"
if needed.

Jim

Old July 12th 05, 03:57 PM
Steve Foley

I once had a ten-second instruction. Nobody logged it.

I was flying around in circles, and the airport owner (CFI) asked if I could
fly him 4.2 miles to another airport. I said sure.

As we were flying over, I thought to myself that this was the first time I
had flown with an instructor, but wasn't receiving instruction.

As I was on the downwind, about to turn base, Gregg reached over and pulled
the power. He said "You just lost your engine - where are you going to
land".

I replied "In those trees - just short of the runway", as I pushed the power
back in.

Old July 12th 05, 04:12 PM
Mark Hansen

On 7/12/2005 07:57, Steve Foley wrote:

I once had a ten-second instruction. Nobody logged it.

I was flying around in circles, and the airport owner (CFI) asked if I could
fly him 4.2 miles to another airport. I said sure.

As we were flying over, I thought to myself that this was the first time I
had flown with an instructor, but wasn't receiving instruction.

As I was on the downwind, about to turn base, Gregg reached over and pulled
the power. He said "You just lost your engine - where are you going to
land".

I replied "In those trees - just short of the runway", as I pushed the power
back in.

You should have added "But I'll probably be able to make the runway
once I lighten the load (by pushing him out the door) ;-)
Old July 12th 05, 04:43 PM
Denny

I replied "In those trees - just short of the runway", as I pushed the
power
back in.
************************************************** ************************

My kind of pilot!

denny

Old July 12th 05, 04:53 PM
Robert M. Gary

The CFI can be giving instruction at one point and not at another
point. I assume you will remain PIC. Its not clear what you want to
accomplish though.
On a practical note, if something goes wrong in that flight, the FAA is
going to come after the CFII regardless of who is PIC.

-Robert, CFI

Old July 12th 05, 05:50 PM
Doug

OK. I'm not with the FAA, nor do I have references for all of these
questions, but I'm going to throw my answers out anyway. (I am a CFI,
commercial land and sea rated pilot who owns an amphibian).

Can a CFII give instrument instruction in a tailwheel aircraft if the
CFII does not have a tailwheel rating?
Answer is yes. And he can even log it. But you can't go on a filed IFR
cross country flight unless one of you has an IFR rating.

Can a CFI give instruction in a Seaplane if he is not Seaplane rated?
Answer, I THINK, is yes, so long as the instruction does not involve
landing on water.
(This one is weirder than you might first think, because an Seaplane
can be considered in a seperate Class seperate from land plane).

Can a pilot who has a complex rating be PIC in an Amphibian if he does
not have a Seaplane rating. (Almost all amphibians are complex).
Yes, so long as he does not land on water.

Can a pilot who owns an amphibian that is no longer capable of landing
on the water get a flight review in the amphibian?
Yes, but it will not include privileges of flight in on water.

Is a pilot who flies an amphibian current for carrying passengers if he
does three landings in his amphibian on a ground runway?
Yes, but he is not current for carrying passengers if it involves water
landings.

Can an CFI instruct without a medical?
Yes, but he cannot be PIC.

Not SURE all my answers are correct and not sure anyone really knows
the answers, but they should be food for thought.

Old July 12th 05, 06:11 PM
Robert M. Gary

I CFI who is not commercial sea rated cannot give any instruction of
any kind in a sea plane. If you took that all the way, you could argue
that an airplane CFII could give instrument instruction in a helicopter
even though he's never been in one before.

-Robert, CFI (land and sea)