More CFIG's (USA)

Old December 25th 04, 11:22 PM
Burt Compton

Default More CFIG's (USA)

More SSA members / More CFIG's. It's kinda like the chicken and the egg.

If your club (or Commercial Soaring Operation) needs more CFIG's - consider
sponsoring a couple of candidates to attend a Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF)
Flight Instructor Clinic (FIRC). Non-CFIG's are invited to register for these
two-day seminars - even though they are primarily for current CFI's to renew
their certificates (every 24 months). A new addition to the FIRC's is a
half-day program developed specifically for the potential CFI applicants. So
learn "Everything you wanted to know about being a CFIG" through the Soaring
Safety Foundation FIRC seminars.

FIRC's are held all around the USA, and at the SSA Conventions. If you want a
FIRC in your town, contact us and we'll send the SSF team. Attendees must
register in advance. Read about the SSF Flight Instructor Clinics in the
December 2004 and February 2005 "Soaring" magazines, or see the new info now at
www.soaringsafety.org

By golly, if you attend the SSF Seminars, soaring WILL have more GOOD CFIG's!
To paraphrase the FAA, "We are here to help." And if you don't ASK for our
help, well, we are still here to help. Go to www.soaringsafety.org and get
started.

In addition, I know that some clubs are sponsoring their members to upgrade to
Commercial and CFIG by providing financial assistance. One club reimburses a
candidate up to $500. for each rating. (I know because they have visited me in
Marfa, TX.) That's a darn good investment for the club's future!

Burt Compton
Soaring Safety Foundation
www.soaringsafety.org
Old December 26th 04, 05:32 AM
Mark James Boyd

Burt Compton wrote:

In addition, I know that some clubs are sponsoring their members to upgrade to
Commercial and CFIG by providing financial assistance. One club reimburses a
candidate up to $500. for each rating. (I know because they have visited me in
Marfa, TX.) That's a darn good investment for the club's future!

I've told a few members with some X-C and some enthusiasm that if the CFI
is a big bite, then becoming an Advanced Ground Instructor is a smaller bite
first. Just a couple of written tests (no practical test).

I think it's a great way to gently ease into the instructor community.
I encourage all of my commercial students to do AGI with the commercial,
because they so often end up as CFIs anyway later.

So maybe reimburse for half of the AGI tests (two at approx $80 each).
Once they're involved a little in instructing, some will really
like it and move on to CFI with a bit more experience...

Cheers!

P.S. January is historically a big influx of students (power and
glider). I dunno why (tax refunds ? but it seems good to be prepared
with a few extra instructors around, even if only for ground...
--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old December 27th 04, 04:11 PM
Terry

Burt Compton wrote:
More SSA members / More CFIG's. It's kinda like the chicken and the

egg.

Burt Compton
Soaring Safety Foundation
www.soaringsafety.org

================================================== ================================
In addition to the training and study necessary to pass the 2 FAA
knowledge tests, in the USA you need a soaring site with instructors
that meet the requirements of 14cfr 61.195(h). Your training area must
also have a FAA inspector with the ability and inclination to conduct
initial CFI exams or have FAA Designated Pilot Examiners with the
authority to issue initial or additional CFI ratings.

In Arizona there are 5 such examiners, 3 of which are also authorized
to conduct initial CFI. Come on out.
Terry Claussen
DPE SDL Arizona USA

Old December 27th 04, 05:00 PM
Mark James Boyd

What's interesting to me is that the part 61.181 to 61.201 "Subpart H -
Flight Instructors Other Than Flight Instructors with a Sport
Pilot Rating"

doesn't apply to Sport Pilots. No requirement for 15 hours of cat/class
before becoming an SP-glider instructor. No requirement for
61.195(h) experience to train SP-CFI-glider instructors.
No 61.183(i) spin proficiency requirement.

So the sport pilot CFI transition to SP-CFI-gliders seems significantly
different than for the full CFIG. Unless the SP-PTS makes
"additions" to this, as I suspect it will...

================================================= =================================

Old December 27th 04, 05:18 PM
Jack

On 27 Dec 2004 08:12:37 -0800, "Terry" wrote:

Burt Compton wrote:
More SSA members / More CFIG's. It's kinda like the chicken and the

egg.

Burt Compton
Soaring Safety Foundation
www.soaringsafety.org

================================================= =================================
In addition to the training and study necessary to pass the 2 FAA
knowledge tests, in the USA you need a soaring site with instructors
that meet the requirements of 14cfr 61.195(h).

For those of you like me who have not memorized all the FAR's here is
what 14cfr 61.195(h) says:

(h) Qualifications of the flight instructor for training first-time
flight instructor applicants. (1) The ground training provided to an
initial applicant for a flight instructor certificate must be given by
an authorized instructor who --

(i) Holds a current ground or flight instructor certificate with the
appropriate rating, has held that certificate for at least 24 months,
and has given at least 40 hours of ground training; or

(ii) Holds a current ground or flight instructor certificate with the
appropriate rating, and has given at least 100 hours of ground
training in an FAA-approved course.