2-33 trivia, what US states...

Old December 27th 04, 05:22 AM
Mark James Boyd

Default 2-33 trivia, what US states...

OK, for you guys that love 'em or hate 'em.

If you hate Schweizer 2-33s, go to Arkansas, North Dakota, or Louisiana.
There aren't any registered in these states.

If you love 'em, come to California, with
36 of them!

And for the "I'd love to hear THIS guy's story" drumroll

Tom Johnston of Anchorage, Alaska has SGS 2-33A N1200S

I'd REALLY like to know what kind of soaring is in
Anchorage...

Perhaps Santa uses it for currency?

Merry X-Box!

:PPPP
--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old December 28th 04, 01:44 AM
Greg Arnold

Mark James Boyd wrote:

And for the "I'd love to hear THIS guy's story" drumroll

Tom Johnston of Anchorage, Alaska has SGS 2-33A N1200S

I'd REALLY like to know what kind of soaring is in
Anchorage...

Actually, there are several active gliding pilots in Anchorage -- they
even have their own Yahoo Group.

In the winter, Anchorage isn't much colder than the northern
midwestern states of the USA. In the spring the snow melts, and a
typical summer day is quite pleasant. Probably lots of good soaring
around all those mountains.

Old December 28th 04, 02:05 AM
Tim Shea

Right you are! There is a CAP chapter that regularly flies back into the
Talkeetna Mts. and Wolf lake area. I believe they are flying an L13
and ASK 21 and 2-33 (and I think a 1-34 or 5). There are also a couple
motor gliders in the area too. It is spectacularly beautiful.
Tim

Old December 28th 04, 05:59 AM
Pete Brown

And for the "I'd love to hear THIS guy's story" drumroll

Tom Johnston of Anchorage, Alaska has SGS 2-33A N1200S

I'd REALLY like to know what kind of soaring is in
Anchorage...

Well..since you asked..my furst flight in this particular
glider was in 1991 out of Birchwood, Alaska with and my
latest was this fall out of Palmer, Alaska.

Actually, there are several active gliding pilots in Anchorage -- they
even have their own Yahoo Group.

In the winter, Anchorage isn't much colder than the northern midwestern
states of the USA. In the spring the snow melts, and a typical summer
day is quite pleasant. Probably lots of good soaring around all those
mountains.

Our season starts towards the end of March in a typical year
and ends up towards the end of October.

We have good thermals, especially in April and May. I have
been to 10K from a field elevation of 98 ft (Birchwood) and
wave to 14k. The wave goes much higher but we don't have O2 yet.

In addition to wave and thermal, we get shear zone lift that
we haven't yet really figured out yet and the mysterious
Eagle River vortex beckons.

Flying privately we have a 1-23g, a Pilatus B-4, a Jantar, A
Russia AC-5M, and a Stemme. The CAP has a fleet consisting
of a 1-34, 2 ASK-21s, an L-13, a 2-33, and an L-23.

As of the early fall, Alaska Wing CAP Glider program was
3rd most active in the nation in flights this year, behind
only CA and MN. Just to put that in perspective, CA (667
flts) has a population of 35 million, MN (906 flts) 5
million, and AK (567 flts) ~650,000.

Put another way, MN has nearly 8 times our population and
had only 1.6X our flts and CA nearly 54 times our population
and 1.2X. For our size, we are 5 times more active than Mn.

Of course Mn has a short season and some adverse weather,
perhaps accounting for their relatively poor showing.

Even worse, Minnesota has no mountains...how boring!

Yes, the mountains are spectacular and we have the pictures
to prove it on the yahoo site.

--

Peter D. Brown
http://home.gci.net/~pdb/

Old December 28th 04, 07:56 AM
Al Eddie

Alaska...

That would be where they've embarked on wholesale slaughter
of wolves for no other reason than 'sport'...!

Beautiful though the Alaskan wilderness is, it will
now be forever tarnished by the blood of the most endangered
mammal species on the planet. What is it you all want
to do, drive them to extinction...?

Shame on the Alaskans for allowing this to happen,
and shame on their governor, Frank Murkowski, who signed
the approval.

Disgusted Al...

Old December 28th 04, 09:42 AM
Al Eddie

At 09:00 28 December 2004, Chris Rollings wrote:

Why are there no wolves in Scotland, Al?

You're right, Chris - for exactly the same reasons.
Wolves were hunted to extinction by the late 19th century
and no, we cannot be proud of our forebears for that.

Now the Highlands, and ever increasing tracts of lowland
are swarming with uncontrollable numbers of deer. Re-forestation
of cleared land is practically impossible and, to make
things even worse, the Deer Commission is run by a
clique landowners who have no intention of behaving
responsibly.

Re-introduction of wolves is on the cards and I think
we'll see it within 10 years. The biggest problem is
habitat. By the time wolves were hunted to extinction,
so too had the Caledonian forests been almost totally
cleared by the uncontrolled lumber trade.

Practical solutions have been proven in other countries
and are endorsed by government agencies, such as Scottish
Natural Heritage. All that is left to do is educate,
and have the government listen to these agencies...!

I'd love to visit Alaska again to do some serious exploring,
and gliding of course, but not now. Not until Murkowski
u-turns and genuinely begins to influence responsible
behaviour.

Alas, only the people of Alaska are in a position to
apply pressure on him...

Old December 29th 04, 05:55 AM

How did a fine description of soaring in Alaska turn into a diatribe
about wolves? I don't think any respondent deserves an unprovoked
judgement on policies that he may not condone.

I'm sympathetic to your view, Al. I may agree with it, based on a
shared non-Alaskan perspective. But I hope if I post something about
the characteristics of Southern California soaring, I won't be slapped
with assumptions about my politics or how I might (or might not)
support California's law or cultural norms. That's not why I come to
this discussion group.

Respectfully,
Carl

Al Eddie wrote:
[...]

No US soldier should have 2 die for Israel 4 oil Ewe n0 who Military Aviation 1 April 9th 04 11:25 PM
No US soldier should have 2 die for Israel 4 oil Ewe n0 who Naval Aviation 0 April 7th 04 07:31 PM
Osama bin Laaden Big John Piloting 2 January 12th 04 04:05 AM
Two Years of War Stop Spam! Military Aviation 3 October 9th 03 11:05 AM
U.S. is losing the sympathy of the world John Mullen Military Aviation 149 September 22nd 03 03:42 PM