What is it? - mystery.jpg (1/1) [27K]

Old May 24th 10, 11:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Netko

Default What is it? - mystery.jpg (1/1) [27K]

Anyone care to test their aircraft recognition skills on this?

I know the what, where and when of it but only because I came across the
published photograph. I'll be extremely surprised (and impressed) if anyone
can identify it though some of you might come close.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mystery.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	42646
Old May 25th 10, 05:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

Default What is it? - mystery.jpg [27K]

it is an F-9 Panther made up for a movie.
Old May 25th 10, 10:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mike Mackenzie

Netko wrote (in part):

Anyone care to test their aircraft recognition skills on this?

I know the what, where and when of it but only because I came across the
published photograph. I'll be extremely surprised (and impressed) if anyone
can identify it though some of you might come close.

I don't think it's this one ;-)

Aircraft: SCHEIBE SF-28A TANDEM-FALKE (Glider, Category: Land, Seats:
2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: AMA/EXPR UNKNOWN ENG
(Reciprocating)
N-Number: 12HS , Serial Number: 5757, Year manufactured: 1974,
Airworthiness Date: 04/19/1979
Registrant (Individual): Colin Lamb, 29830 Ne Mountain Top Rd,
Newberg, OR 97132

--
Mike Mackenzie (AVCOM Services)
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
Old May 25th 10, 12:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Peter Twydell[_2_]

In message , Mike Mackenzie
writes
Netko wrote (in part):

Anyone care to test their aircraft recognition skills on this?

I know the what, where and when of it but only because I came across the
published photograph. I'll be extremely surprised (and impressed) if anyone
can identify it though some of you might come close.

I don't think it's this one ;-)

Aircraft: SCHEIBE SF-28A TANDEM-FALKE (Glider, Category: Land, Seats:
2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: AMA/EXPR UNKNOWN ENG
(Reciprocating)
N-Number: 12HS , Serial Number: 5757, Year manufactured: 1974,
Airworthiness Date: 04/19/1979
Registrant (Individual): Colin Lamb, 29830 Ne Mountain Top Rd,
Newberg, OR 97132

It's not that one either!

That's what comes of Googling for the code letters and not thinking
about the result. What you've found is one of these:
http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=863951

Patricia's answer seems sensible. It certainly looks like an F9F.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Old May 25th 10, 01:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Netko

On Tue, 25 May 2010 12:16:34 +0100, Peter Twydell wrote
(in article ):

Patricia's answer seems sensible. It certainly looks like an F9F.

Sensible - but wrong.

Not an F9F; not a movie prop.

Old May 25th 10, 06:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
D. St-Sanvain

Netko a écrit dans
ex.com :
On Tue, 25 May 2010 12:16:34 +0100, Peter Twydell wrote
(in article ):

Patricia's answer seems sensible. It certainly looks like an F9F.

Sensible - but wrong.

Not an F9F; not a movie prop.

A joke, with a Vampire ?
Twin-tailed, it helps ; and the shape of the engine, behind the
cockpit.

12HS could be a fake registration, based upon a French codification
system ?
HS = Hors-service (FR) = Unserviceable

May be a dark navy-blue scheme ? A SNCASE Aquilon, perhaps, but no wing
fences, not sure...

I "give my tongue to the cat"

--
Bye,

--
D520
Light aviation : http://tagazous.free.fr

Old May 25th 10, 10:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
GillesK

Netko wrote:

Not an F9F; not a movie prop.

Inflatable decoy ?

Old May 25th 10, 10:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jacques[_2_]

You are all wrong . . .

it's a . . .

wait for it . . .

GIZMO with water wings!

Jacques

x.com...

Old May 27th 10, 09:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Netko

On Tue, 25 May 2010 18:07:09 +0100, D. St-Sanvain wrote
(in article ):

A joke, with a Vampire ?
Twin-tailed, it helps ; and the shape of the engine, behind the
cockpit.

12HS could be a fake registration, based upon a French codification
system ?
HS = Hors-service (FR) = Unserviceable

May be a dark navy-blue scheme ? A SNCASE Aquilon, perhaps, but no wing
fences, not sure...

Not a Vampire, not an Aquilon.

I "give my tongue to the cat"

Ah, you were so close, so very close - and then you gave up.

It was, as you say, a joke.

The 'aircraft' was shown at an open day at Royal Naval Air Station Abbotsinch
(near Glasgow) in 1961 where it was described as the Royal Navy's "new secret
weapon".

It combined the front end and modified wings of a Sea Venom (so not really an
Aquilon) with the tail of two Gannets, together with various other parts
which were lying around.

RNAS Abbotsinch was, at the time, used as an aircraft storage facility so
there would have been plenty of spare parts to play with.

I like the HS theory - I suppose it's possible Aquilons were sent to
Abbotsinch for disposal. It's also possible the HS comes from HMS
Sanderling, the name given to the RNAS base.

So very close...

Old May 27th 10, 07:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
D. St-Sanvain

Netko a écrit :
[...]

But not so far

with the tail of two Gannets,

I missed this one :/

together with various other parts
which were lying around.

RNAS Abbotsinch was, at the time, used as an aircraft storage facility so
there would have been plenty of spare parts to play with.

I like the HS theory - I suppose it's possible Aquilons were sent to
Abbotsinch for disposal. It's also possible the HS comes from HMS
Sanderling, the name given to the RNAS base.

So very close...

Nice post, however

--
Bye,

--
D520
Light aviation : http://tagazous.free.fr
Roundels of the World :
http://cocardes.monde.online.fr/v2html/en/accueil.html

ASW-20 Mystery Instrument jcarlyle Soaring 2 March 28th 10 08:57 PM
IO-540 mystery Paul Tomblin Owning 27 August 31st 07 08:59 PM
Mystery Airport - help ID please Steve Piloting 2 September 3rd 05 11:44 PM
GPS Mystery tony roberts Owning 5 February 3rd 04 12:54 AM
Pan AM 747 mystery solved! Alan White Simulators 1 July 18th 03 06:29 PM