LXNAV S100 calibration and firmware question

Old May 24th 19, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default LXNAV S100 calibration and firmware question

I've tried that and liked it, but there are a few things I need to do
that I can't seem to do with Ubuntu.* I'm sure there are ways, but I'm
and old dog and these new tricks take too much time to learn...

I have a cheap little windows laptop that I keep in the hangar and,
trying to improve its performance, I managed to turn it into a door
stop.* I only recovered it by installing Ubuntu first and then
downloading a windows iso file.

On 5/24/2019 8:54 AM, kinsell wrote:
Put a Linux like Ubuntu on your PC.* Fast, stable, secure, and free.

On 5/24/19 8:35 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Is there an Apple/Mac simulator that runs on a PC?

On 5/24/2019 6:19 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 12:03:44 AM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 8:09:32 PM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 2:55:12 PM UTC-7, jp wrote:
On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 1:15:26 PM UTC-7, vtcyclist wrote:
Ron.* Thanks for the suggestion.* At the top of Craggy’s LXNAV
page is the warning not to download LXNAV files with an Apple
product.* That solves the firmware problem.
Glad that worked for you.* I've downloaded LXNAV files to my
Apple MacBookPro many times and they always worked for me.*
Anyway, whatever works for you is what is important.
Almost every time some one calls about a firmware problem with
LXNAV & PowerFlarm it is because they tried to download with an
Apple Computer or and Apple computer with a Windows emulator.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
And the new PowerFLARM 6.60 firmware fixes that mac compatibility
issue, but the irony is folks are having trouble upgrading to that
using a Mac :-)

For now with a Mac you can manually remove the unneeded hidden
files that the Mac is putting on the USB stick, they are throwbacks
to old Mac compatibility resource fork crap. Deleting the hidden
files affects nothing, just makes the FLARM update work. Easiest
way is to use the Terminal.app on the Mac to find and remove any
._filename.ext hidden files (e.g. ls ._* to see them). If needed
find a kid who knows UNIX/linux to help you, take then for a glider
ride in return.
I am not as versed in electrons as most engineers on this site, so
what I am saying is more visceral.* I have been a Mac user since
1984, with just a few brief virus, trojan, and ransom filled forays
into the PC world.* When I got back into gliding after a 15 year
hiatus, the instruments and software had developed to the Piont I
now needed to access the data. Thought about using the Mac, but then
for with little research I purchased a Levono 900 used for $400.*
Macs are expensive and I didn't want to expose it to the desires and
diseases of the other side of the tracks

--
Dan, 5J
Old May 24th 19, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

I buy a Windoze laptop and set it up to dual boot Linux and Windoze. I
spend well under 1% of my time on Windoze doing stuff that has no
practical solution on Linux.

You can also use virtual machines to run both systems on one computer,
but those have some limitations.

Happened to just look at your May 4 flight on a free viewer that runs on
anything with Javascript. Showed an interesting excursion into Mexico
at 160K feet, along with many dozens of GPS altitude dropouts. So much
more info than what you get from the OLC thumbnail graphs.

https://alistairmgreen.github.io/jsigc/

-Dave

Old May 25th 19, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vtcyclist

This works, but I noticed as I deleted the hidden files, OSX (Sierra) puts back the .trash and .v100 files as you click “send to trash”. Oh well.

Old May 25th 19, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Yep, I saw that excursion on Skylines.aero.* I just hope TSA did not
notice... =-O* That and the FAA.* They might not have liked my climb to
FL1600, though I was well above Class A airspace!* Tell Perlan to give
it up.

Old May 25th 19, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 5/24/19 12:26 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:

Reviewing flight logs? I use GPLIGC, a Perl program, so should run on any
OS. It shows stats and 2D or 3D plots. It can also convert IGC logs into
a KML files, which can be reviewed and 'flown' using Google Earth.

Oh yuk. I just installed that on a fairly clean Ubuntu 18.04 system, it
was an endless parade of tracking down missing libraries and
executables. Linus is never going to make it big in the home if
programs like that can't be packaged as simple installs.
Old May 25th 19, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 12:59:43 PM UTC-7, vtcyclist wrote:
I have an S100. I want to calibrate it and have removed it from the glider. We’ve put it in the calibration chamber, but are not having any luck getting it to record a flight without the gps recognizing movement. Ideas?

Second. I’ve updated firmware before without issues. This time, the file is on the MicroSD, inserted into the slot, the S100 recognizes the update file and asks for “Update?”. I select with lower knob, and press/click to update. The screen goes dark and then stays off. When I restart the instrument, it asks if I want to update. Ideas?

Thanks.

Aside from the Mac issue, once that's solved, the lower "knob" is the wrong input. Try the lower of the three "buttons".
Old May 25th 19, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 12:59:43 PM UTC-7, vtcyclist wrote:
I have an S100. I want to calibrate it and have removed it from the glider. We’ve put it in the calibration chamber, but are not having any luck getting it to record a flight without the gps recognizing movement. Ideas?

Second. I’ve updated firmware before without issues. This time, the file is on the MicroSD, inserted into the slot, the S100 recognizes the update file and asks for “Update?”. I select with lower knob, and press/click to update. The screen goes dark and then stays off. When I restart the instrument, it asks if I want to update. Ideas?

Thanks.

Aside from the Mac issue, once that's solved, the lower "knob" is the wrong input. Try the lower of the three "buttons", usually used to "close" screen.
Old May 25th 19, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Fri, 24 May 2019 19:28:05 -0600, kinsell wrote:

On 5/24/19 12:26 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:

Reviewing flight logs? I use GPLIGC, a Perl program, so should run on
any OS. It shows stats and 2D or 3D plots. It can also convert IGC logs
into a KML files, which can be reviewed and 'flown' using Google Earth.

Oh yuk. I just installed that on a fairly clean Ubuntu 18.04 system, it
was an endless parade of tracking down missing libraries and
executables. Linus is never going to make it big in the home if
programs like that can't be packaged as simple installs.

That's odd - I've had it for quite a while and installed several versions
as they've appeared and don't remember any dependency issues. I might
well have had to play with Perl's CPAN library manager when I first
installed it: sorry, but I just don't remember whether that was the case,
but since then upgrades have all 'just worked'. One think I have noticed
is that RedHat's 'dnf' package installer seems to be much better than the
Debian 'apt' when it comes to dealing with dependencies - Fedora is my
default distro but I also have a RaspberryPi running Raspbian.

The one niggle I have with GPLIGC is that it doesn't plot the turnpoints
recorded in the flight log. Thats not a huge problem with FAI turn
sectors, but is annoying if you're using variable barrels. Consequently,
the next item, on my 'to do' list is to write an IGC to KML converter
that will either add turnpoints recorded in the log and/or read LK8000/
XCSoar task definitions and plot them using a different colour.

This will be written in Java and will have library dependencies.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old May 25th 19, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Kunz[_2_]

On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 5:09:34 PM UTC-7, vtcyclist wrote:
This works, but I noticed as I deleted the hidden files, OSX (Sierra) puts back the .trash and .v100 files as you click “send to trash”. Oh well.

Just select empty trash on your "Trash" icon in the dock and all you will have left is an empty trash folder on the usb or sd.

Air glide Vario family versus S100 LXNAV - Comments on Winds and Performance? WaltWX[_2_] Soaring 11 December 17th 18 11:01 AM
Anyone having trouble upgrading firmware in an LXNAV s80? Matt Herron Jr. Soaring 2 January 17th 18 04:56 AM
LX S100 Bryce Sammeter Soaring 2 November 1st 17 09:43 AM
LXNav S80 latest firmware ZP Soaring 0 November 20th 16 06:26 PM
LXNav S80 Vario Digital Input Wiring Question Gianni Isotope Soaring 1 July 14th 16 11:16 PM