ASW27B prices falling

Old August 9th 17, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ASW27B prices falling

I ended up selling an ASH-26 after my best friends untimely demise............ After checked the recent sales, I set a rather low price of $130K and put it on W&W site. No response, not even a nibble! After several months, I finally sold it to an Australian pilot for less. My take on the situation was that a buyer who could spend 130K for a used ship is probably more interested in the latest brand new, gee-wiz machine available.
JJ
Old August 9th 17, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

At the higher end, there's simply fewer people with the money.

As for people saying it's too much glider, it's easier to fly than just
about
anything else, but harder to fly well.

Old August 10th 17, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 7:57:26 PM UTC-5, Scott Williams wrote:
On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 6:00:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:
There are 3 nice ASW27's for sale, all at reduced prices in the Wings and Wheels website. We 3 owners are mystified at the seeming lack of interest in this ship. Two of us are no longer flying thanks to Father Time and we're throwing in lots of soaring related "goodies" with your purchase.

http://wingsandwheels.com/classifieds/?m=glider

While I can only be envious of guys with 80K worth of glider at their disposal,
What does it say when three out of four (75%) of the ASW 27B's on the FAA registry are currently up for sale at the same time?

Sorry if I offended anyone, Not my intention. My question is more of an economic one than a slight of any specific pilots or gliders.
BTW, of the 133 ASW 27's on the FAA registry, there are only Four Identified as B's. and all three listed on W&W are listed as B's.
As Ken Pointed out, the registry is 'Loose' on this Score.
Cheers,
Scott.
Old August 10th 17, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 7:45:01 PM UTC-6, Scott Williams wrote:

BTW, of the 133 ASW 27's on the FAA registry, there are only Four Identified as B's. and all three listed on W&W are listed as B's.

Some ASW 27B's are shown as straight 27's on the registry. Mine's a B, with wet wings and higher W/S, extra flap setting, etc. But shown as a straight 27 on the registry.

Gary Osoba

Old August 10th 17, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

W/S = wing span?

Sorry... engineering parlance for Wing Loading.

Gary

Old August 10th 17, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 2:00:06 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 7:45:01 PM UTC-6, Scott Williams wrote:

BTW, of the 133 ASW 27's on the FAA registry, there are only Four Identified as B's. and all three listed on W&W are listed as B's.

Some ASW 27B's are shown as straight 27's on the registry. Mine's a B, with wet wings and higher W/S, extra flap setting, etc. But shown as a straight 27 on the registry.

Gary Osoba

Does your '27 have a max gross of more than 1102 lb?
Curious.
UH
Old August 10th 17, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 1:10:27 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Does your '27 have a max gross of more than 1102 lb?
Curious.
UH

Hank, I would consider you to be much more knowledgable about these models than I am. As far as I know, both models were certified to 500kg = 1102.31 lbs. max mass, but some pilots of average size/mass in the straight 27 with water bags had reported having difficulty getting enough water in the wings to reach that. Large pilots or gliders heavy from repairs/excess equipment would not have that difficulty. The wet wings work very well and hold all the water they were designed for. Like you did on yours, mine has much bigger dump valves and plumbing installed which gives very good dump times.

Another straight 27- 27B difference is the taller factory winglets on the B model, giving slightly more effective span. Some have reported slightly better handling. I doubt I would be able to tell the difference, but possibly some can. As you know, the handling is absolutely superb on any of these- with or without full water.

Gary
Old August 10th 17, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

The new designs have not proven they are better than the 27. The JS-3 while very innovative, has very low wing area, which might prove a hindrance on weaker days, and the V3 has not competed in 15 meters. The 27 might very well be the equal of these newer gliders and priced right to get younger pilots into competitive ships, just one reporter's musings.

On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 3:00:07 PM UTC-7, Michael Opitz wrote:
At 17:04 09 August 2017, Tango Eight wrote:
The thing that's always driven willingness to throw down a lot of

money on
=
a glider is competition. $80K is, any way you slice it, a lot of money
for=
a 15+ year old glider (just ask any of our wives :-)). There are a
thousa=
nd reasons the 27 is a great glider. However, performance in

competition
i=
s the one that supported the market price of used 27s at roughly

"every
dim=
e I spent on it since new". =20

What's happening in the competition world? Connect the dots...

Evan Ludeman / T8

Speaking of the USA market, T8 is correct. That is how it has behaved
for the last ~35+ years. As soon as a ship is not at a top competitive
level, the resale value has dropped off rapidly. In Europe, clubs will
tend to buy up these gliders, which means that the market will support
higher prices for these types of birds. In the USA, the re-sale market is

(and has been, but is getting worse due to declining participation) too
thin, so now that the V3 and JS3 are coming out, the ASW-27 and V2
prices will fall. That is just the nature of the beast in the USA....
RO

Old August 10th 17, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

As I stated before in this thread, a well prepped ASW-20 (with winglets) is pretty much there. A well prepped -20B works well in "heavy conditions."

Take it from a cross country pilot with quite a few hours in a A and C. Sucks on a ridge day @9lbs watching others cruise by you at speed, I won based on knowing when to climb for gap jumps (Mifflin).

I still say, for 90%,nut behind the stick is more important than the glider.
Deep pockets?
Go for it.
More time and training is cheaper and better.

FS ASW27B HL Falbaum Soaring 3 December 20th 06 11:51 PM
ASW27B Ray Gimmey Soaring 1 November 4th 06 03:41 AM
Gas prices falling... Jay Honeck Piloting 41 August 27th 06 10:16 AM
The sky is falling! Jim Home Built 10 April 30th 04 04:40 AM
ASW27B polar Chip Fitzpatrick Soaring 2 March 1st 04 01:48 PM