One-man rigging aids - is the electric up/down control worth it?

Old June 6th 19, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default One-man rigging aids - is the electric up/down control worth it?

On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 1:35:52 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Herb, I think Evan asked a valid question, seems like you gave a valid answer. I see no need to "remove gears" to test a geartrain failure issue.
If a fine pitch (as you indicated), likely basically no issue.
Thick grease may negate an issue on a coarser pitch.

Unless, of course, a major earthquake that rattles bits around......then, what a wing rigger when it fails is doing is likely a moot point.... ;-)

I've seen wing stands that would do more damage in failure mode, and nobody cares.
Jim
Old June 6th 19, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 8:26:38 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 1:35:52 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Herb, I think Evan asked a valid question, seems like you gave a valid answer. I see no need to "remove gears" to test a geartrain failure issue.
If a fine pitch (as you indicated), likely basically no issue.
Thick grease may negate an issue on a coarser pitch.

Unless, of course, a major earthquake that rattles bits around......then, what a wing rigger when it fails is doing is likely a moot point.... ;-)

I've seen wing stands that would do more damage in failure mode, and nobody cares.
Jim

You can care before you have a problem, or after. It's less aggravation to care beforehand.

Herb: right -- would simply like to confirm that the thread pitch is something reasonable, no more than 3mm or so.

T8
Old June 6th 19, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan Foster

On Sunday, June 2, 2019 at 8:44:34 AM UTC-6, Paul Kaye wrote:
My new club seems to have a culture of rig in April and derig in October! Personally I prefer to rig and derig for each flight, unless I know that there is a run of several days good weather and I'm available to fly. I have covers (Cloud-dancers) but I really don't think they offer the protection against UV that is needed for leaving it outdoors for long periods.

Anyhow, as a consequence, it's not always easy to get help to rig/de-rig so I'm thinking of getting a on-man rigging aid. It seems that I can get one from IMI for about €900 that is manually-adjustable for height and sideways alignment, or I could pay around €1500 for an electrically-adjustable version. I'm happy to pay for the more expensive one, if it's worth it. So, if any of you have any experiences/opinions, I'd be happy to hear them!

Thanks in advance.

I bought a used electric Cobra Rigger and I have to say it has been great. I can now put my glider together and disassemble without help. In all honesty, I now actually prefer rigging without help.

Originally I was going to make one of Herb's rigger's but between family activities, civic duties, and flying I realized I simply didn't have time. Herb is a wealth of knowledge and I used his plans/advice to modify my rigger to be wirelessly operated. I can now make fine adjustments without running all over the place.

The relay module I used is the Sonoff 4CH Pro R2 Smart Switch. It has options to use a 433mhz remote or even an app on your phone if you lose the remote (like I have several times). The bonus is the sonoff with remote was only $40.

If you get an electric rigger and want to convert it to wireless operation here is a link to the Amazon page: https://amzn.to/2I02OKT
Old June 6th 19, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Lotta discussion about solo rigging. When I started doing it (with my LS-3) in 1981, I was usually the only pilot there with it. "Why?" was the puzzled question, "There's always someone around to help." Today, it seems the majority of pilots have some kind of self-rigging wingstand even though they don't always use it.

I had people around, too, but they weren't always thrilled about my 175 lbs.. LS-3 wings. Nor did my crews then (my younger sister and mother) stand up well to a nationals. I built a much refined version (called the "WingMate", which I sold for a few years until I ran out of time--maybe someday I'll pick it up again). I've been using it for my ASW-24 to solo rig since 1992.

As with any other decision, it helps to define what you want, including:

1. Do you want to be independent, or just take the load off your crewperson? (truly independent for me; I'm crewless at contests)
2. Can you keep the rigging equipment assembled, or do you have to store it in the trailer and set it up each time (each time for me, which is why mine folds in about 10 sec.)
3. Will you be rigging on a smooth, flat surface each time? (for me, often on uneven grass, almost never in the same spot, and even derigging in plowed fields occasionally, which is why mine doesn't really roll)
4. Is the goal to eliminate heavy lifting (spars) or just to allow solo rigging? (the latter for me; I don't have a problem lifting the spar end of the '24 wing. Mine isn't what many pilots want: i.e., a way to avoid picking up the spar. I do, however, have a problem lifting the early Cobra solo rigger when it's assembled--which is often the case since there are some clevis pins and safety pins required; I took one in trade on a WingMate and hurt my back lifting it out of my van)
5. Is it often windy when you rig/derig? (mine is a bit vulnerable to gusty winds so I will ask someone to stand by it just in case if the wind is up near 15 or 20 knots)
6. Do you have a typical Cobra/Komet-style trailer with a fuselage jack and spar butts that roll out on dollies? (as many have noted, adjusting the fuselage up/down eliminates much, though not all, of the fiddling to get the wingtip height correct)
7. Is speed of assembly a factor? (you can solo rig pretty well with some simple supports, including a foam roller and some wingstands; it just takes a longer. Setting up some of the complex riggers can take almost as long as it take me to self rig)
8. Do you really need it all the time, or is this just for the occasional "last pilot down" or "assembling first thing in the morning" situation? (I normally use mine every time because it's easier and doesn't usually take any longer)
9. Do you really need it at all? If you have an active club and/or a dedicated crew, you may not need/want to add the complexity.

Etc. The "powered vs. unpowered" argument is only relevant for a few of these requirements, including the requirement to show up with the most complex, innovative gadgets, whether or not they actually work.

Once you have your requirements fairly well defined, and some "edge cases" (e.g., you want to be able to hitch a ride back to the airport, then drive your trailer out to the plowed field and self retrieve yourself--which I've done), then you're ready to design/build/modify or buy a wingstand. Until then, you're just comparing gadgets and gee-whiz features. Make sure you know what you need. I see a lot of expensive solo wingstands that never seem to get used.

Chip Bearden
JB
Old June 6th 19, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, June 2, 2019 at 3:44:34 PM UTC+1, Paul Kaye wrote:
My new club seems to have a culture of rig in April and derig in October! Personally I prefer to rig and derig for each flight, unless I know that there is a run of several days good weather and I'm available to fly. I have covers (Cloud-dancers) but I really don't think they offer the protection against UV that is needed for leaving it outdoors for long periods.

Anyhow, as a consequence, it's not always easy to get help to rig/de-rig so I'm thinking of getting a on-man rigging aid. It seems that I can get one from IMI for about €900 that is manually-adjustable for height and sideways alignment, or I could pay around €1500 for an electrically-adjustable version. I'm happy to pay for the more expensive one, if it's worth it. So, if any of you have any experiences/opinions, I'd be happy to hear them!

Thanks in advance.

With a Cobra-style trailer a one man rigger can make the difference between being able to solo rig safely or not. Adding electrically adjustment simply takes a few minutes off the time taken and saves a few yards of walking. I would say that your first 900 euros buys at least 90% of the functionality and the additional 600 euros for the electrics would only add 10% at most.

The major variable in my rigging times are figuring out when, how much and in what direction to raise or lower the wing tips to get the pin/s in and not the actual doing of it. Also, it may well be the other wing that will need adjusted rather than the one with the electric rigger on it.
Old June 6th 19, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Kaye

Thank you to everyone for all your replies! I appreciate the time you've all taken.

I'm leaning towards the cheaper non-electric version. Not only is it cheaper, but it's lighter, simpler and less likely to fail on me at the wrong time.
Old June 7th 19, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 2:49:16 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Chip, not sure why you trash the powered wingriggers without any knowledge how much time, effort, bending over etc. they save? Just keep your quiet and and let people choose for themselves. I for one wouldn't want to go back to the old style and manual adjustments. As they say, to each his own and your mileage may vary.
Think positive, flaps negative! Herb
Old June 9th 19, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Chip, not sure why you trash the powered wingriggers without any knowledge how much time, effort, bending over etc. they save? Just keep your quiet and and let people choose for themselves. I for one wouldn't want to go back to the old style and manual adjustments. As they say, to each his own and your mileage may vary.
Think positive, flaps negative! Herb

Herb, Herb, it was a joke. Just like your referring to those of us who aren't gaga over electric wing riggers as "girly luddites." You were joking, right?

I just wanted to encourage people to examine what they wanted to accomplish with a solo wingstand--and then buy/build what they need, not necessarily the most complex gadget out there. I designed my first solo rigger in 1982 and have assembled/disassembled nearly every time I've flow since then. I don't have my logbooks handy but I suspect that's around 1200 times. I've seen most of the riggers out there, including some of the powered ones. I even watched your YouTube film debut. Very nice, but let me know if you want to race for pink slips for real: i.e., drive up to wings and tail on. I regularly do that in 10 minutes, including the set up time for my wingstand (10 seconds).

But my wingstand isn't for everyone, just like yours isn't, because pilots have different requirements. Mine have changed over the years as I've used mine, as the glider changed (from an LS-3 to an ASW 24), and as I've aged. Again, that was the point of my posting: know what you hope to accomplish and then make your decision.

Frankly, another device with motors, batteries, and remote controllers is the last thing I want to add to my soaring kit these days. But as you say, to each his (or her) own. Even us girly Luddites.

Chip Bearden
Old June 9th 19, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 9:19:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Yes, I missed the irony in your post, sorry about that, Chip. Also, I had never used 'girly luddites' in a note before and although it has a sexist streak, I thought it's too good to pass up. To each his own, as you say.

Soaring Aids Variometer Tony Condon[_2_] Soaring 4 July 4th 09 11:24 AM
Soaring Aids Variometer Tony Condon[_2_] Soaring 0 July 2nd 09 04:00 PM
Hearing Aids Casey Wilson Piloting 9 February 20th 06 02:40 AM
Yet another case of AIDS jsmith Piloting 12 March 18th 05 02:20 AM
MT Props w/Electric Pitch Control x Home Built 6 April 1st 04 02:44 PM