Oops

Old June 7th 19, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default Oops

On 6/7/19 9:47 AM, Michael Opitz wrote:
At 14:31 07 June 2019, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 6:03:32 AM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:

Crash site is 2.7 miles from runway intersection at Danbury. "In

the
patt=
ern" doesn't make sense to me. =20
=20
T8

Agree with the "not funny" comment, but also agree with Evan.

2.7 miles
NE=
of the airport and down to a couple of hundred feet does not

sound like
"i=
n the pattern". Poked in the east side of the roof and the top part

of
the=
chimney is broken off. Plane looks to have been nearly straight

down,
bel=
ly to the southwest when it went into the house. Pictures of the

removal.

https://www.newstimes.com/local/arti...family-awaits-

removal-of-pl=
ane-from-their-13938862.php?

fbclid=3DIwAR0Fltiu0ZnuFRXpGXWx2ZT79fbbLs-KULd3=
tRc-d--qsNXoz8pBaFUkbr0#photo-17612062

People are not perfect. We make mistakes. I am leaning toward

Ramy's
comm=
ent on tunnel vision. I have had it while flying. In the pattern. It

is
=
not fun.

Steve Leonard

I'd like to see a GPS flight log if one becomes available. I live in CT
and never heard of this guy. I'm betting that he's a power pilot
conversion type who was trying to fly the pattern like a SEL type
(power-on, dragged in final) in order to try and fit in with their
tower traffic. Those things might take off as a self launcher, but
should be landed as a glider. Some folks just don't get that.

RO

If you look at Google Earth, he's not lined up with either runway. I'm
thinking he was trying to do a low final glide and got hit with sink,
rather than being on final in a landing pattern.
Old June 7th 19, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

Another news story
https://m.newstimes.com/local/articl...photo-17611397
Old June 7th 19, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 10:15:14 AM UTC-7, danlj wrote:
Another news story
https://m.newstimes.com/local/articl...photo-17611397

And the homeowner complaints sounds like a mental anguish lawsuit is brewing.... Sigh.
Old June 7th 19, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

I agree with 5Z. From the first reporting from the scene, I detected that drift.

I hope I'm wrong.

Lou
Old June 8th 19, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

In situations like this, I always want to hear from whoever sign this guy off. People that are new to our sport depend on those with experience to tell them what they need to know about outlanding, patterns, stalls and spins, and such. We don't do anybody any good teaching to the minimums. Motorgliders are not power planes! Where did he get his training? What is his flight history? Soartech, do you have anymore input for us?

Boggs
Old June 8th 19, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Fri, 07 Jun 2019 10:15:11 -0700, danlj wrote:

Another news story
https://m.newstimes.com/local/articl...ts-removal-of-

plane-from-their-13938862.php#photo-17611397

If you look at the other side of the roof, i.e. the side without the
glider sticking out, there would appear to be a lot of shingles(?)
missing. I'm not familiar with that type of roofing, but that looks like
somewhat older damage. Am I right about that, or would the shingles have
been blown off when the glider went through the other side of the roof?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old June 8th 19, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul B[_2_]

"One of the aircraft’s wings fell on the other side of the house"

There could be a clue why the shingles were missing.

Cheers

Paul
Old June 8th 19, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sat, 08 Jun 2019 11:58:19 -0700, Paul B wrote:

"One of the aircraft’s wings fell on the other side of the house"

There could be a clue why the shingles were missing.

It looks as if the wing was snapped off by hitting the chimney: given
that I'd expect it to have taken out the shingles along a line from the
chimney to where the outer end of the wing lies on the grass, not several
rows of shingles running so far along the roof parallel to the roof ridge
and guttering.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old June 9th 19, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

It must be pre planned then. They needed a new roof, so looked for a glider to crash through their roof so they can make an insurance claim. Common fraud ;-)

:-)

Ramy