Oops

Old June 11th 19, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Oops

I work for a freight airline...

So, did she get two tickets or just freight labels?

Old June 11th 19, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 12:23:49 PM UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 12:05:01 PM UTC-7, 5Z wrote:
On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 10:15:14 AM UTC-7, danlj wrote:
Another news story
https://m.newstimes.com/local/articl...photo-17611397

And the homeowner complaints sounds like a mental anguish lawsuit is brewing.... Sigh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZUm2BYP_P4

Good lesson for anyone. Stress causes reactions others may not understand. Both the Dip **** pilot (doesn't he have ballistic chute, properly trained...) was shook up and stressed as was the family. I can understand why the pilot was only caring about his glasses, he was rattled and may have had his little brain slammed against his thick skull. Little kids are frightened by many things, so are big kids. So don't judge )

Some people can't understand what they read. Others don't pay attention to what they read. Others just don't bother to read. Earlier in the thread we have this bit of information:

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 5:15:41 PM UTC-6, Soartech wrote:
I know the pilot. We took off at separate airports but decided to meet in Vermont. We had just completed the flight to VT but a massive, dark, high cloud deck moved in rapidly making it nearly impossible to get back without him using lots of battery. This is a rare situation so he had no experience on the low end of the charge curve. He said the battery gauge had 18 minutes left. In the pattern he hit sink behind a ridge and needed more altitude. Attempted to power up but he said the motor made a strange sound as if the prop brake was ON. By then too low to use the ballistic chute. He attempted to put it into some trees but it fell out into the roof. The trees probably soaked up enough energy to save him from injury. No stall or spin. Not funny.

He states the pilot hit sink in the patter. That changes things a lot, depending on how much sink you hit. This was compounded by battery/power plant failure, as well as him being too low to use the ballistic chute. He then landed in trees, but fell out onto the roof. Sounds to me like the pilot did everything he could, and was very lucky to walk away from this. Could he have done things differently and had a better outcome? Possibly. But hindsight is 20-20. Don't be so quick to call him a "Dip **** pilot" having a "thick skull". Not cool.
Old June 11th 19, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Monday, June 10, 2019 at 9:00:16 PM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
Sounds to me like the pilot did everything he could

Hi John,

I disagree. I think this accident was 100% preventable.

What's the safe way to cross an urban area in a motor glider? Isn't it exactly the same way you cross an urban area safely in any non-motorized glider?

I pointed out earlier that the crash site is 2.7 miles from the runway intersection. He didn't even make it to what we would ordinarily describe as a (glider appropriate) landing pattern.

I agree that name calling isn't helpful... but I understand the aggravation of others. This one accident has generated more press coverage nationally than the entire balance of the sport for some years, all of it reflecting badly on us.

best,
Evan
Old June 11th 19, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Tuesday, June 11, 2019 at 8:43:12 AM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:

What's the safe way to cross an urban area in a motor glider? Isn't it exactly the same way you cross an urban area safely in any non-motorized glider?

Owners of self-launching electric motorgliders are feral. They don't need to affiliate with a gliding club that provides training and structure on top of the very light FAA requirements for PPL-glider-self_launch. That works fine if the pilot acquired the knowledge/experience that he needs on another path.

A PPL-ASEL includes XC training and experience that touches on weather, fuel reserves, and contingency planning. All factors deficient in this flight..
Old June 11th 19, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wyll Surf Air

Agreed @Even. Everyone makes mistakes, but I definitely an a bit confused as to what type of pattern he was flying that put him 2.7 miles away behind a ridge. Glad everyone survived but I hope it's a learning experience for all that sink happens in the pattern so flying a high sink rate approach is a must even in a FES equipped glider.

Wyll
Old June 11th 19, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Just picking this post to reply to.....not picking on the post.....

None of us were there.....
We were not making the decisions.....
I have limited info on the pilot......

I have some time in SEL power......yes....I have been number 8 in the pattern (Poughkeepsie, NY/Dutchess county airport...) in a C-150.,,.. believe VNE is like 130MPH?.
Flying a pattern at about 120MPH level flight (likely a bit less) and asked to speed up due to twin prop behind me......asked for a 360* orbit to allow a pass.....dude....I am maxed out on level flight in this ship.....let follower pass if OK....

Yes, I have also seen MANY power flights into our field over the decades......
Quite a few were flatter than I would do (with margins) in a lowly 2-33, let alone a powerplane.....roughly 22:1 vs. 7:1......

Yes, I have seen this incident (glider goes through house roof) pop up all over the Frikkin place.
Sorry for a broken ship.
Glad pilot basically walked away.
Glad ground peeps were physically fine.
Yes, ground damage done......hopefully insurance fixes it.

As mentioned.....maybe a bit more training of pilot would have helped....maybe.
High cause of bent/broken SEL ships.......run out of fuel or continued VFR flight into IFR....CFIT is likely next.....
This case sorta sounds like......"lack of fuel".

Yes, poop happens......
Name calling without knowing a lot more facts presented is.....well......poor...

Whatever,.....