Cell phones in the air

Old March 10th 05, 06:35 AM
Roger Worden

Default Cell phones in the air

I've seen a couple of references to someone not wanting us to use cell
phones while gliding. I haven't seen the reason... what's the rationale?

Old March 10th 05, 10:35 AM
CindyASK

Roger Worden wrote:
I've seen a couple of references to someone not wanting us to use

cell
phones while gliding. I haven't seen the reason... what's the

rationale?

The FCC says it is illegal.
If they make a rule, and you break it, they can find you and
then fine you.

Try this link.
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/cel.../aircraft.html

Or you can dig through the regulation itself.
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...7cfr22.925.htm

If calling from altitude, you can "reach" several cell sites. You then
tie up more facilities than you really need. So I am told,
and have read on RAS in years past. That must make it true . . ..

Cindy B

Old March 10th 05, 11:17 AM
Slick

Also, don't forget about, "fly the airplane."
m...

Old March 10th 05, 01:21 PM
Stewart Kissel

At 11:30 10 March 2005, Slick wrote:
Also, don't forget about, 'fly the airplane.'

How true...one would not want to let a cellphone conversation
interfere with pushing buttons on their flight display
PDA

Old March 10th 05, 01:43 PM
COLIN LAMB

But, if your glider is hijacked, and you make a telephone call from the air,
the FCC will not enforce the provision. In an emergency, you can use it.
But, remember to fly first.

Colin

Old March 10th 05, 03:51 PM
rromanATfrontiernetDOTnet

Roger Worden wrote:
I've seen a couple of references to someone not wanting us to use

cell
phones while gliding. I haven't seen the reason... what's the

rationale?

In the US there are FCC regulations prohibiting the use any aircraft -
from a FCC web page: Section 22.925 of the Commission's rules, 47 CFR
Part 22, provides that cellular telephones installed in, or carried
aboard airplanes, balloons, or any other type of aircraft, must not be
operated while the aircraft is off the ground. The FCC concern is
interference they may cause.

Old March 10th 05, 03:58 PM
Malcolm Austin

Hi Roger,
I read with interest the other replies but have one other
point to make. The mobile phone frequency works only with "line of sight"
it is heavily attenuated by travelling across a ground with trees, buildings
etc. When in the air your maximum range is greatly enhanced so you could be
into a number of cells at the same time and strength. This would not help
the phone guys (but with the cost of their service who cares!!)

Regards, Malcolm... (UK radio ham as well as a poor K6 owner)

Old March 10th 05, 04:09 PM

You ever drive behind someone on a cell phone call? ;-)

Stand back.. there will be others... here they come....

The technical issue is if you hit multiple cells at one time you may
have your account shut donw for a bit, looks like the cell was cloned
to them. And it may be illegal in your country.

Old March 10th 05, 04:55 PM
Bert Willing

You very often hit multiple cells at the same time, even when standing on
the ground, and your cell phone will chose the strongest one (or the
strongest of your national provider if you are close to a national border.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"