noise pollution from private planes

Old March 25th 05, 07:51 PM

Default noise pollution from private planes

I live in a relatively quiet city, until recently. A flight school
opened up across the bay from me, and all day long, all I can hear
outside are these private plane motor noises.

It is really awful. It is like having a gas powered lawn mower
above me all day long. As one plane leaves, another one takes
its place. I am grateful when the evening comes, or for a rainy
day, so I wont hear them anymore.

Let's get some noise control on these small planes before we all go
crazy.

Old March 25th 05, 07:58 PM
Bill Daniels

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in a relatively quiet city, until recently. A flight school
opened up across the bay from me, and all day long, all I can hear
outside are these private plane motor noises.

It is really awful. It is like having a gas powered lawn mower
above me all day long. As one plane leaves, another one takes
its place. I am grateful when the evening comes, or for a rainy
day, so I wont hear them anymore.

Let's get some noise control on these small planes before we all go
crazy.

Actually, $5 a gallon avgas will probably do that.

Bill Daniels

Old March 25th 05, 09:48 PM

Do you guys know what are you wishing for? Do you like to point fingers
at the other guys because you are flying a glider and using winch and
all the absurd related to it? Flight school problem? Lawnmowers?
Private plane? And you guys calling yourselves aviators and pilots?
Shame on you. And on everybody who is fuelling this type of nonsense.
You guys need to move to Europe and stay there.

Old March 26th 05, 01:39 AM
COLIN LAMB

I live on the top of a hill, near a VOR. Frankly, I love to hear the sound
of an aircraft flying overhead. My wife listens to music all day in the
house and that to me is noise pollution.

My friend lives near a migratory path for geese, and they are lounder than
most any airplane when they fly over.

But, I guess if you do not like airplanes, the noise will bother you. I
feel that way about rap music.

Colin

Old March 26th 05, 02:25 AM
M B

I'm assuming you are serious about this, so I will
give you what I believe is helpful advice.

White silicone earplugs have worked really well for
me for a lot of applications, from weedwhacking to
camping trips with snorers to wing running a glider
near noisy towplanes.

http://store.yahoo.com/earplugstore/swimandwatpr.html

but Long's drugs has these in the USA also. A white,
fairly clear putty. I always get the ones with the
red round case.

Beyond that, sets of double-paned windows work wonders
against noise pollution. There are limitations (can't
use the screen door anymore) but at least this helps
at night when the house is locked up.

I hope that is helpful.

At 20:00 25 March 2005, wrote:
I live in a relatively quiet city, until recently.
A flight school
opened up across the bay from me, and all day long,
all I can hear
outside are these private plane motor noises.

It is really awful. It is like having a gas powered
lawn mower
above me all day long. As one plane leaves, another
one takes
its place. I am grateful when the evening comes, or
for a rainy
day, so I wont hear them anymore.

Let's get some noise control on these small planes
before we all go
crazy.

Mark J. Boyd

Old March 26th 05, 02:50 AM
David Campbell

Let's get some noise control on these small planes before we all go
crazy.

It exists for Pawnee PA-25 B,C,D towplanes (with Lycoming O-540). Just
use the FAA approved "towplane prop" instead of the cropduster prop!

http://www.milehighgliding.com/color...ucts.htm#props

1 day STC retrofit, 1 month delivery ARO, taking orders for Spring now.

Mile High Gliding, Inc.
STC holder and a USA dealer for
Hoffmann Propeller GmbH & Co. KG

Old March 26th 05, 11:45 AM
Scott

Because he's a troll. Yes, complaining about the airport would be good.
They would just shut down another general aviation airport. Remember,
if the airport goes away, so does another landing spot for gliders. I
fly both powered and gliders. I'll bet the airport was there when
numbnuts bought his house (and he probably doesn't even live near an
airport) and he didn't have brain one to be able to think that maybe
someday, someone would actually fly a powered plane out of that airport.

Scott Littfin

André Somers wrote:

Why are you posting this to a soaring
related group? We're generally not the ones flying these noicy machines.

Regards,

André

Old March 26th 05, 01:37 PM
Bill Daniels

"Scott" wrote in message
Because he's a troll. Yes, complaining about the airport would be good.
They would just shut down another general aviation airport. Remember,
if the airport goes away, so does another landing spot for gliders. I
fly both powered and gliders. I'll bet the airport was there when
numbnuts bought his house (and he probably doesn't even live near an
airport) and he didn't have brain one to be able to think that maybe
someday, someone would actually fly a powered plane out of that airport.

Scott Littfin

That logic may win a battle but it will eventually lose the war to keep
small airports open. Once Chicago closed Miegs Field and got away with it,
the precedent is set for other airport closure battles.

The only long term solution is that airplanes have to get much quieter -
fortunately, there are engineering ways to do that. Retrofitting older
aircraft is possible but big gains have to be designed in.

Meanwhile, as our European friends have pointed out, winches rarely annoy
airport neighbors. Modern winches can now provide as much release height as
99% of air tows.

The reality is that fuel costs will drive us to winches which will have many
former general aviation airfields to operate from since the Cezzna drivers
won't be able to afford fuel prices.

Bill Daniels

Bill Daniels