1800km Sierra Wave XC Flight Today

Old March 29th 05, 12:38 AM
Jack Glendening

Anyone interested in plots showing model wave predictions for this day
for the northern half of Gordon's flight can check out the plan view
at 500 mb (around 18,000 ft MSL) for 1300 PST at

http://www.drjack.info/RASP/MINDEN/p500.1600lst.d2.png

and a corresponding vertical cross-section along the diagonal dashed
line in the above plot (parallel to the wind) at

http://www.drjack.info/RASP/MINDEN/b...1300lst.d2.png

These are for a horizontal resolution of 4km, about the largest
possible grid size to show such waves. Plots at other times, heights,
etc. -- including plots at 1.3km resolution over a smaller domain at
1300 PST -- can use links at

http://www.drjack.info/RASP/MINDEN/index.html

(BTW the "RAS" in the RASP acronym has nothing to do with this
newsgroup!)

Jack
Old March 29th 05, 02:31 AM
Bill Hoadley

Eric, we see the same thing out here at the Colorado Front range.
Having the ability to go higher would be a great help with some of the
weak patches and discontinuities in our ranges. For a long (crosswind)
flight in our location those gaps can be significant. Even being able
to go up to 20-22K would be a big help, and you would not incur a big
TAS penalty.
Speaking of downwind wave dashes, Dr. Joachim Kuettner is sponsoring a
new prize for the first person to complete a 2000km downwind wave
flight. I believe details on this prize will be coming soon from the
SSA.
Nice to see these long flights being done without logging frequent
flyer miles on
Aerolineas Aregentina.
Bill Hoadley

Old March 29th 05, 05:34 AM
Mike Koerner

What a fantastic flight!
Way to go Gordon!

Mike Koerner

Old March 29th 05, 05:43 AM
Andy Blackburn

At 00:00 29 March 2005, Jack Glendening wrote:
Anyone interested in plots showing model wave predictions
for this day
for the northern half of Gordon's flight can check
out the plan view
at 500 mb (around 18,000 ft MSL) for 1300 PST at

http://www.drjack.info/RASP/MINDEN/p500.1600lst.d2.png

and a corresponding vertical cross-section along the
diagonal dashed
line in the above plot (parallel to the wind) at

http://www.drjack.info/RASP/MINDEN/b...1300lst.d2.png

That is really cool!

9B

Old March 29th 05, 05:38 PM

Has he posted on OLC?

Kemp wrote:
Today Gordon Boettger flew his Kestrel on a 3TP flight of about

1800km
out of Minden, Nevada. A sunrise takeoff lead to the first turn near
Chilcoot, then South to near Inyokern, back North to Susanville, then
down to Palmdale. This flight handily beats my flight of last year

on
a similar route. Gordon had clearances to 23,000 and sometimes

28,000
feet and was mostly screaming along. Ah, just another day in the
Sierra Nevada wave.....

Congrats to Gordon, more details to come soon.

Kemp

Old March 29th 05, 06:31 PM

My friend Gordo doesn't fly often....but when he flies....he flies
GOOD!!

Before this, his previous flight was last year in the fall.....that was
the Hilton Cup winner.....few flights before that was the 2004
Barringer Trophy, then a couple of Nevada State Speed records...oh...
hum....

GREAT job Gordo!

Erik / XL

Old March 29th 05, 09:05 PM
Greg Arnold

On the OLC, Gordon made this comment:

"At 1615L near Owens Dry Lake, I was required by ATC to make an eastward
deviation of 10 miles due to opposing glider traffic operating under IFR
clearance like me. The trace shows a required departure from wave
conditions and a track southbound until clear of traffic. I then
proceeded westbound near Inyokern and in the process lost 16,000 feet
before contacting wave again and making a climb to FL280 for final glide."

I wonder what other glider was flying IFR, and why ATC made Gordon go so
far to the east?

Old March 29th 05, 10:27 PM
Kemp

More details:
- Gordon's flight is now on the OLC for March 27. Stated distance is
1824km or 1133sm, a new longest soaring flight in the US.
- The eastward deviation was to clear the IFR block allocated to the
Perlan project, with Steve Fossett and Einar in the 30-35K range. ATC
wouldn't allow two IFR flights to have intersecting airspace blocks, so
Gordon had to go around, regardless of the fact that both are gliders.
- Landing was at Fox Field, not at Palmdale as earlier stated.
- The winds had quite a southerly component, with the wave ending near
Inyokern. Although he had 28,000ft starting his final glide, the
headwind chewed into his glide such that by Fox Field he had only 1,500
AGL!
- Clearances were up to 31-32K, not 28K as stated earlier.
Bob Speilman was flying his 1-26 out of Minden that day and flew the
wave for a 300+km flight.

Kemp

Old March 29th 05, 11:08 PM

Good glider. Great flight. Interesting weather.

OC

Kansas Wave Flight Steve Soaring 0 May 4th 04 05:14 AM
1st Flight Today at 5:pm Fastglasair Home Built 8 February 13th 04 05:32 AM
A Vision 1st Flight Today! Scott VanderVeen Home Built 4 October 6th 03 02:02 AM