Europe's GPS program in trouble.

Old May 9th 07, 10:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Default Europe's GPS program in trouble.

Robert,

Did we ever find out why they don't want to use the
U.S. system?

Well, the common sense answer is: All eggs in one basket might not be a
good idea for what is probably the most critical piece of global
infrastructure around these days. Especially when the basket is held by
people like Dubya.

The counterargument for this runs like this: GPS has become way too
much of a factor in common life and in the global economy that any US
president could ever afford to switch it off or degrade it much. An
Iranian nuke hitting the White House due to navigation signals provided
by an 80 dollar Etrex GPS might change that view in a hurry, however.

The EU real life answer does include the above, but also: pride and
jealousy, complaints by EADS and other high-tech companies that mostly
US companies are cashing in on the sat nav market and similar reasons.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 9th 07, 12:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Thomas and Martin:

What can you tell us about GPS usage in Europe.
How common is it in Europe to see gps displays in motor vehicles and
people walking around with handheld gps units?
Old May 9th 07, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

John,

How common is it in Europe to see gps displays in motor vehicles and
people walking around with handheld gps units?

The portable navigator market for cars has practically been invented in
Europe. TomTom is a company from the Netherlands. The US is still
lagging behind in market penetration for these devices.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 9th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Thomas Borchert posted:

John,

How common is it in Europe to see gps displays in motor vehicles and
people walking around with handheld gps units?

The portable navigator market for cars has practically been invented
in Europe. TomTom is a company from the Netherlands. The US is still
lagging behind in market penetration for these devices.

If this notion of market penetration is based on percentages that wouldn't
imply much.

Neil

Old May 9th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze

john smith schrieb:

Thomas and Martin:

What can you tell us about GPS usage in Europe.
How common is it in Europe to see gps displays in motor vehicles and

GPS displays are becoming more and more a standard equipment in (a
little bit higher priced) cars.

people walking around with handheld gps units?

Mostly (IMHO) one buys handhelds as an "upgrade" for car navigation (in
older cars). I have no insight in groups like mountain climbers and the
like.

Next thing coming is mobile phones with GPS chips and digital cameras
with GPS chips.

#m
--
I am not a terrorist http://www.casualdisobedience.com/
Old May 9th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Martin Hotze wrote:

Next thing coming is mobile phones with GPS chips and digital cameras
with GPS chips.

You're so behind the times Martin.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,11...1/article.html and that
article is from 2004.

Haven't seen the cameras with GPS Chips yet. Though I haven't looked either.

Old May 10th 07, 08:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze

Gig 601XL Builder schrieb:

Martin Hotze wrote:

Next thing coming is mobile phones with GPS chips and digital cameras
with GPS chips.

You're so behind the times Martin.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,11...1/article.html and that
article is from 2004.

Haven't seen the cameras with GPS Chips yet. Though I haven't looked either.

I know that they exist, but what I wanted to say is that these cameras
become readily available and a mass product.

#m
--
I am not a terrorist http://www.casualdisobedience.com/
Old May 10th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chris

"john smith" wrote in message
Thomas and Martin:

What can you tell us about GPS usage in Europe.
How common is it in Europe to see gps displays in motor vehicles and
people walking around with handheld gps units?

Most pilots I know have gps in the aircraft either a fixed installation or a
handheld.
gps has not been approved everywhere for navigation or approaches - Uk have
just decided to do it.

As far as cars go again either portable devices or fixed installations
depending on price are very common with Tom Tom and Garmin being main
suppliers.

Etrex types popular with walkers

So gps is prevalent.

They are talking about putting units in cars for road pricing purposed - pay
as you drive, with different tariffs for different roads and times of day.

Old May 19th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Robert M. Gary writes:

On May 8, 1:01 pm, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net

This is the system that the EU put together to compete with the U.S.
GPS system, right? Did we ever find out why they don't want to use the
U.S. system?

NIH syndrome

Old May 19th 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Tom L. writes:

It's not a competition but an addition. It will be compatible with GPS
(whatever that means), and, together with GPS, improve positioning
accuracy and reliability worldwide.

And unlike the GPS, it won't be free.

They do want to use it. They just don't want to depend on it.

They'd be better off depending on GPS than depending on something they cobbled
together themselves.

Posting Trouble Cody Dawg Piloting 3 November 29th 06 08:06 PM
Tie Down Trouble Dylan Smith Piloting 16 May 20th 06 09:47 PM
XM financial trouble [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 21 March 22nd 06 05:09 PM
Delta in trouble DrunkKlingon Piloting 1 April 22nd 05 07:21 PM
The Trouble With E-Ballots WalterM140 Military Aviation 0 June 26th 04 09:46 PM