Schleicher directional air vents

Old June 10th 10, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

Default Schleicher directional air vents

On Jun 9, 4:41*pm, wrote:
On Jun 9, 1:42*pm, mattm wrote:

On Jun 9, 11:48*am, Andy wrote:

On Jun 9, 8:31*am, mattm wrote:

Hi, All,

my ASW-19 has three different air vents in the cockpit -- one in the
nose that's controlled
by a handle above the instrument panel, plus two holes in the
sidewalls. *

It sound like your glider is modified from the original
configuration. *As built, the air intakes are under each wing. *The
air goes though the fuselage canopy frame rails to the nose vent.
There are no vent holes in the side rails. (based on 19356)

I accepted that the ventilation in my 19b was poor and often flew with
canopy sliding window scoop open which was noisy. *After flying my 28
for several years I have come to appreciate the much better vents and
only ever use the sliding window scoop during the first part of the
tow. (Arizona 110 deg F plus).

If I had a 19 again I'd try to fit an adjustable/closable swivel ball
vent in one or both side rails. *The 28 ball vent works well but there
are probably similar vents available.

The side rails are structural so be careful about any mods.

Andy

OK, now I see where this came about. *The plane originally lived
in Florida, so the owner didn't mind the hurricane whirling around
the cockpit in the heat. *My first good flight this year was in
February, and the cloudbase was around 6000', so it got really
cold in there!

The vents in the links mostly look like they're too big to fit on the
rails. *The holes are about 1" diameter, and there's not a lot of
room around them to attach a flange. *I suppose I could cut one
down enough to fit. *Hmmmm......- Hide quoted text -

If they are the typical PVC tubing mod, just go to plumbing supply and
buy 2 caps and 2 45 degree elbow.
Then you can do kisser, crotch, pits, or nothing quite easily.
Not elegant, buy works pretty well.
UH- Hide quoted text -

check out the ASW-20 newsgroup
there are some photos of my PVC elbow vents in the files section
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ASW20owners/files/

Dan
Old June 14th 10, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

On Jun 9, 7:54*pm, Dan wrote:
On Jun 9, 4:41*pm, wrote:

On Jun 9, 1:42*pm, mattm wrote:

On Jun 9, 11:48*am, Andy wrote:

On Jun 9, 8:31*am, mattm wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all the pointers on the subject from everyone! One of the
two ASW-24's in the club
showed up to fly on Saturday so I got a good look at the vent. I also
noticed vestiges of hot
glue gun glue left around the hole in my cockpit. The PVC arrangement
will work out great
for the rest of the season, anyway. Maybe I'll tackle the fancy one
after the season is over.

-- Matt