ASW 27 vs ASW 27B

Old December 8th 16, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Thor

Default ASW 27 vs ASW 27B

I'm looking at buying a ASW 27. The ASW 27 are usually 15k less than a ASW 27B, WHY?
Does the ASW 27B have an performance advantage over a ASW 27?

Old December 8th 16, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 6:54:53 PM UTC-5, Thor wrote:
I'm looking at buying a ASW 27. The ASW 27 are usually 15k less than a ASW 27B, WHY?
Does the ASW 27B have an performance advantage over a ASW 27?

The B has wet wings which are a little more convenient to fill and may hold a few gallons more.Almost all have newer winglets, either by production, or retrofit.
Pricing has little to do with B or otherwise, and is mostly driven by condition and equipment. All other issues being equal, an early 27, with excellent finish condition, can easily be worth more than a B in poorer condition.
There is no difference in performance as they are geometrically the same.
Good luck
UH
Old December 9th 16, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 6:12:30 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote on 12/7/2016 4:28 PM:
On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 6:54:53 PM UTC-5, Thor wrote:
I'm looking at buying a ASW 27. The ASW 27 are usually 15k less
than a ASW 27B, WHY? Does the ASW 27B have an performance advantage
over a ASW 27?

The B has wet wings which are a little more convenient to fill and
may hold a few gallons more.Almost all have newer winglets, either by
production, or retrofit. Pricing has little to do with B or
otherwise, and is mostly driven by condition and equipment. All other
issues being equal, an early 27, with excellent finish condition, can
easily be worth more than a B in poorer condition. There is no
difference in performance as they are geometrically the same. Good
luck UH

Are the 27B wings treated differently than the earlier models, so they
are less likely to develop "spar dips" from spar shrinkage?

email me)

No- in fact the thicker gluing used on the B's for water protection makes them somewhat more shrink prone from my experience.
UH
Old December 9th 16, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 3:54:53 PM UTC-8, Thor wrote:
I'm looking at buying a ASW 27. The ASW 27 are usually 15k less than a ASW 27B, WHY?
Does the ASW 27B have an performance advantage over a ASW 27?

Not performance, but other changes:
The B model offered an optional tail ballast tank, unavailable on the original.
The water ballast dump handle was relocated on the B to a more easily reached and less likely to be elbowed position.
There is more Carbon in the B model fuselage layup, making positioning antennas such as FLARM or TXP more critical.
As Hank mentioned, Schleicher wing tanks are more likely to cause waviness of the wing skins than ballast bags. Or perhaps most other manufacturers' wing tanks?
Also noted previously, the newer winglets work better. There are still a couple of 27s left with the old stubby winglets, but low speed handling is improved by the Tech Note 4 Darlington or Maughmer mod, or Nixon, Nelson, etc. winglets.
If you have to do the Tech Note 4 mod, make the tip skids taller at the same time to keep the ailerons out of the dirt, and include tiedown points in the tip skids.
Jim
Old December 10th 16, 10:01 PM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 6:54:53 PM UTC-5, Thor wrote:
I'm looking at buying a ASW 27. The ASW 27 are usually 15k less than a ASW 27B, WHY?
Does the ASW 27B have an performance advantage over a ASW 27?

The B has wet wings which are a little more convenient to fill and may hold a few gallons more.Almost all have newer winglets, either by production, or retrofit.
Pricing has little to do with B or otherwise, and is mostly driven by condition and equipment. All other issues being equal, an early 27, with excellent finish condition, can easily be worth more than a B in poorer condition.
There is no difference in performance as they are geometrically the same.
Good luck
UH
I've had experience of a 27B having trouble with aileron and flap mixers rusting out with the bearings failing (a friends glider and I helped with the repair) and have heard of other Bs suffering the same problem. An older A model at my club hasn't had any problems

I suspect it maybe related to the tanks not being properly aired as per AS instructions.

Any one had a similar experience?

Colin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	452.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	83713
Old January 1st 17, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 3:54:53 PM UTC-8, Thor wrote:
I'm looking at buying a ASW 27. The ASW 27 are usually 15k less than a ASW 27B, WHY?
Does the ASW 27B have an performance advantage over a ASW 27?

Does the original ASW 27 have the ability to carry fuselage ballast of 35 liters like in the ASW 27B?
Old January 1st 17, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, January 1, 2017 at 12:08:55 AM UTC-5, EricF wrote:
On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 at 3:54:53 PM UTC-8, Thor wrote:
I'm looking at buying a ASW 27. The ASW 27 are usually 15k less than a ASW 27B, WHY?
Does the ASW 27B have an performance advantage over a ASW 27?

Does the original ASW 27 have the ability to carry fuselage ballast of 35 liters like in the ASW 27B?

Yes, if equipped with optional fuselage tank.
UH
Old January 2nd 17, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jacopo Romei

Hello Thor,

here you can find a side-by-side comparison of the two gliders.
http://www.gliderreview.com/comparin...eicher-asw-27b

For the rest of the gang: feel free to click on those gray stars to express your opinion and help readers understand those two gliders. No login required!

Ciao!

--
Jacopo
Old May 18th 19, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ripacheco1967

If one is thinking of a asw27b is there another make glider one should consider before pulling the trigger?