The Clunk

Old November 3rd 03, 03:07 PM
JJ Sinclair

Mark wrote.
The best off the shelf connector between removable battery and
the glider I have seen is a male/female "electric lighter"

What I really learned was to mount the rather heavy plug to the battery, so
that it didn't have any way to move around and start clunking. This makes it
easy to plug in with just one hand, which is a problem in the Genesis. The
battery is located way back in the fuselage (for CG purposes) and one must rest
ones head on the top of the fuselage while trying to get both hands way back
inside to plug in, or un-plug the thing.
All this is done while standing with a leg on each side of the fuselage and
facing forward, head resting on fuselage, both hands inside, fishing, fiddling
and cursing.
So, now I have "No Clunk" and one hand "Plug-In", Life is GOOD.

JJ Sinclair
Old November 3rd 03, 03:31 PM
Wallace Berry

In article ,
"Marry Daniel or David Grah" wrote:

My Libelle has developed a clunk. Seems like something big moving around.
I appreciate the leads on where you looked for yours.

David Grah
Bishop

Fore and aft play in the wings will produce "clunks" on a Libelle. Check
your wing "spigots" (the metal stubs that fit into the wing roots).
These usually have shims on them to control the fore and aft play in the
wings. These shims have a habit of falling off inside the trailer or
onto the ground during disassembly of the ship. I don't remember what
the clearances are supposed to be, but get yourself some thin shims or
shim stock and try shimming the wing. You can tell when you have too
much shim when the holes through the spars for the wing pin won't line
up.

As always, you can contact Striefeneder for more info and I'm pretty
sure he sells shims too.

All the best,

Wallace
H301 N301BW
Old November 3rd 03, 08:55 PM
Bruce Hoult

In article ,
Martin Gregorie wrote:

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 01:04:03 +1300, Bruce Hoult
wrote:

In article ,
(JJ Sinclair) wrote:

Lets see now, I'm about here, so how far to home? Should have put
some of those "old-fashioned" distance circles on this
"old-fashioned" map. OK, at 1000 feet per 15 statute miles

What are you flying that has a 80+:1 glide angle? Surely you can't
count on making up that much in arbitrary air just by dolphining, even
in a 60:1 supership?

100 ft per km is really easy, so that's what I generally use. That's
33:1.

Looks like a good, conservative figure to me. It was suggested that I
used 100ft per 6 miles as baseline when I first started taking the
club Pegasus cross country. The Peg. is fitted with an old Cambridge
Mk 4 vario and doesn't have a glide computer. 1000/6 miles is pretty
close to 100 ft/km. Now I fly with my own (removable) GPS, configured
to use metric units, so 1000ft / 10 km is a no-brainer to estimate.

It's conservative in the Janus (or even Twin Astir), which is good
because I don't really want to have to derig and rig them.

It's not so conservative in the PW5! But it's more like reality
(especially if you can eke out a little bit better than still air).
There have been several times when I've made final glides from cloudbase
in the last proper thermal of the day ten or fifteen km before the last
turn point (say 40 - 50 km total) and made it right on the numbers, or
even gained a few hundred feet. And if I don't make it its no problem
because the PeeWee is easy to put down anywhere, and the wings aren't
too heavy for my GF to lift.

Hmm ... come to think of it, although I've landed out just short of the
airfield, I think so far that's only been on flights when I knew from
the outset that I didn't have enough, and there just plain wasn't any
more to be had!

-- Bruce
Old November 4th 03, 05:19 AM
BTIZ

when you are shimming the wing.. make sure to make the proper nose to wing
tip measurements to keep the wings aligned and in trim..

BT

Old November 4th 03, 03:44 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 17:14:35 +0000, Robert Ehrlich
wrote:

Martin Gregorie wrote:
Now I fly with my own (removable) GPS, configured
to use metric units, so 1000ft / 10 km is a no-brainer to estimate.
^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^

Didn't know ft is a metric unit (femto teslas ? :-)

My GPS is configurable, the altimeter is not unless I prize the glass
off and repaint the dial. Hence the mixed unit salad ;-)

Oh, yeah, and the 'compass rose' page, which I use going xc doesn't
show altitude, so no meters anywhere in sight in my cockpit.....

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old November 4th 03, 09:10 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 18:44:14 +0000 (UTC), "tango4"
wrote:

Plenty of meters visible in your cockpit possibly fewer metres though!

Put that down to a mid-Atlantic spell checker on this 'ere news
reader.

.. .

Old November 4th 03, 09:42 PM
Chris OCallaghan

While we were at Montague last summer, I noticed that whenever you
leaned back to survey the sky (in your official capacity as an
advisor), something on, in, or near you went "klunk!" I thought it
indelicate to mention it on the ramp. I'm glad, though, to see you got
it sorted out.

Cheers,

OC