WTB - ASW-27 Schleicher Factory Sized O2 Bottle

Old January 21st 18, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default WTB - ASW-27 Schleicher Factory Sized O2 Bottle

I am looking for an oxygen bottle to fit my ASW-27B. I cannot find a US bottle that fits the factory sleeve located at my right hip. I have determined that the circumference cannot be larger than 13-5/16" or 337mm.

Contact me via email at jhderosa at yahoo. Thanks.
Old January 21st 18, 07:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

I have a steel cylinder with that diameter from an ASW 27. What info do you need?
Old January 21st 18, 08:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Here is a link to an Aluminum cylinder that fits:
https://www.siebert.aero/products/Ka...-l-Inhalt.html

Old May 18th 19, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Discus 44[_2_]

On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 10:28:27 PM UTC-8, Duster wrote:
I have a steel cylinder with that diameter from an ASW 27. What info do you need?

By chance do you still have it for sale?

Tom
Old May 22nd 19, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 6:18:42 PM UTC-5, Discus 44 wrote:
On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 10:28:27 PM UTC-8, Duster wrote:
I have a steel cylinder with that diameter from an ASW 27. What info do you need?

By chance do you still have it for sale?

Tom

Tom,
Sorry, I had two bottles, both of which have now found a home.
Old May 22nd 19, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Best and cheapest program is go to your local O2 plant like NORCO in our area. The smaller steel bottles have pretty much been replaced by aluminum or fiberglass wrapped. The US sizes of those two will not fit in the ASW 27 or the ASG 29 spaces and most places will not refill the European bottles because they are not DOT approved. At the plant, there is usually a bottle grave yard, ask if they have any D size steel bottles. Over the years I was able to obtain 12 bottles, some for me and some for others. Arranged to get hydro tests, new valves and fills for about $45 each. Not sure you can get the same deal but bet you can do better than the $150 plus I have seen them listed for. You may have to do some fine sanding around the hole behind your seat and I removed the padding from the cup at the back of the hole to increase the space of the valve and handle from my seat back.
Tom Boise, ID

Old May 23rd 19, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 6:49:59 PM UTC-6, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
I am looking for an oxygen bottle to fit my ASW-27B. I cannot find a US bottle that fits the factory sleeve located at my right hip. I have determined that the circumference cannot be larger than 13-5/16" or 337mm.

Contact me via email at jhderosa at yahoo. Thanks.

The Luxfer m15A here, 4 inches diameter, 15 inches tall, not counting the valve
https://legacy.life-assist.com/Produ...-Cylinders/929
a fellow club member has an asg-29 and one of these luxfer M15A-5 fits, and is capable of 3000 psi. if you can find a supplier who can fill to that pressure.
Old May 29th 19, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 8:03:25 PM UTC-5, Scott Williams wrote:
On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 6:49:59 PM UTC-6, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
I am looking for an oxygen bottle to fit my ASW-27B. I cannot find a US bottle that fits the factory sleeve located at my right hip. I have determined that the circumference cannot be larger than 13-5/16" or 337mm.

Contact me via email at jhderosa at yahoo. Thanks.

The Luxfer m15A here, 4 inches diameter, 15 inches tall, not counting the valve
https://legacy.life-assist.com/Produ...-Cylinders/929
a fellow club member has an asg-29 and one of these luxfer M15A-5 fits, and is capable of 3000 psi. if you can find a supplier who can fill to that pressure.

Odd how often this same query comes up about O2 bottles for ASW-27. And this one started (by me) in January of 2018! Anyway here is what I have said previously about my (successful) search ...

After I bought my ASW-27 I had to do some major league searching to find a bottle that would fit my ship. Took more than a year to find one. Luckily a friend that owns an ASW-24 lent me his bottle for a western trip. Thanks, Geoff.

Bottom line is that the critical dimension is the diameter (no duh) which, to me, is rather difficult to measure accurately unless you have a particularly large caliper hanging around. Accurate measuring is especially dicey when you are asking a seller of unknown resources/capabilities to measure their bottle.

So, using my friend's bottle, I came up with the following CIRCUMFERENCE which is much easier to measure accurately. This I could then give to prospective bottle providers for them to measure what they have in stock before purchasing.

Here is what I came up with;

Circumference = 13-5/32" = 13.15625" = 334.2mm
QED Diameter = 4-3/16" = 4.1875 = 106.4mm

The question is then how to have someone else easily and accurately measure circumference? A carpenter's steel measuring tape will NOT wrap around a cylinder. A tailor's cloth tape is great but is much less likely to be found in the average pilot's tool box.

The easiest way I found is to have the seller wrap a (long narrow) piece of paper around the bottle, mark where the edges meet, lay the paper out flat on a table, and then accurately measure between the marks with a simple flat ruler - preferably in metric because +/- 1mm is ok but counting 16ths of a inch is more prone to error (ask me how I know).

Be prepared to suffer multiple disappointments in your search.

My overblown $0.02,
John OHM Ω
Old May 29th 19, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Some medical supply houses may still have steel D cylinders. Here's one.

https://www.boundtree.com/Oxygen-Equ...ize-D/p/020916

"This cylinder comes standard with a CGA870 medical post valve but can be fitted with a toggle valve, or a CGA540 valve."
Their prices are hidden unless you're logged in.

Another site charges $18 for the CGA540 option. But the spec'd volume on their D cylinder is odd.
https://www.emtmedicalco.com/MD-D-CY...70-K870MDS.htm

Jim
Old May 29th 19, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Tuesday, May 28, 2019 at 9:26:42 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
Some medical supply houses may still have steel D cylinders. Here's one.

https://www.boundtree.com/Oxygen-Equ...ize-D/p/020916

"This cylinder comes standard with a CGA870 medical post valve but can be fitted with a toggle valve, or a CGA540 valve."
Their prices are hidden unless you're logged in.

Another site charges $18 for the CGA540 option. But the spec'd volume on their D cylinder is odd.
https://www.emtmedicalco.com/MD-D-CY...70-K870MDS.htm

Jim

I recently bought 2 D size alum cylinders from Mountain High for $205 each. The fit perfectly into my new ASH31Mi with the factory supplied cylinder fittings. I also bought a M122 alum cylinder (3455 liters) from wtfarley.com for $299 and a CGA540 trans-fill adapter from ebay for $70:

https://www.wtfarley.com/M122-Alumin...-CGA-540-Valve

https://vod.ebay.com/vod/FetchOrderD...&ul_noapp=true

Everything has DOT stamps - no Euro crap. I got the M122 filled with aviator's O2 at the local Oxarc for $40 (aviator's O2 is regular O2 that has been tested for moisture). By way of comparison, filling a single D2 cylinder at the airport typically costs $40. This should cover me for an entire season of soaring and pay for the cost of the equipment. And I can fly from ANY airport, including those that don't have O2 service. Note: you can fill ANY cylinder you want from your own supply cylinder - no DOT stamp required!

Tom