PW5 control connection

Old April 26th 19, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PW5 control connection

I seem to have little difficulty connecting and detaching the sleeved connectors for the ailerons and right spoiler.
Left spoiler sleeve is a PIA. After connecting, I
notice that the locking sleeves have some fractional , minute, wobble except the left spoiler.
I have owned this ship for a year and have assembled around ten times.
Confident that this is the ship not the assembler.
Any comments?
Cary
Old April 27th 19, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I’d work those sleeves with a spray lube like WD-40 until they work free and easy.
Should help,
JJ
Old April 27th 19, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The sleeve connection has been well lined with
Teflon spray. In fact the sleeve moves freely when not connected.

The sleeve has zero movement when connected.
Old April 27th 19, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Please make sure that the "pop up button" us up on all 4 sleeves after connection. If not, they are not secure.

Loved my PW-5!

Lou
Old April 27th 19, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Just figured out what PIA means.............got to give us old guys some time! Your not trying to connect the spoilers with them locked, are you? Have you tried hooking up the left spoiler first? Sounds like some sort of mis-match between the spoilers..........need more info to diagnose the problem.
JJ
Old April 27th 19, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

In "web speak", it is normally "PITA"......pain in the arse......

My comment sorta goes with another comment.....if the shaft latching bits are tight, the lock won't be in the correct place for a locking sleeve to slide.
If the sleeve moves freely when in the trailer, figure out why not when assembling......duh.....
One of the few times WD-40 dissolves old crap....but NOT a lube.
Wipe the control balls down a few times of the year (WD-40 is fine here), use a lube on moving bits, exercise quite a bit....be happy....
Old April 28th 19, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Spoke with my A&P today about sleeve/hook
connector. He has dealt with this gripe before and suspects the hook may be bent
yet not bent
enough to a visual inspection due to ham
fisted assembly technique allowing the hook
to bash into the fuselage while inserting the spar.

Short of replacing the sleeve/hook assembly,
my A&P suggested the hook gap can be restored
with a jewelers file. Impossible to verify results by eye. Test fit. Possible multiple test fits. No Bending.

Thanks for replies. Will advise once I apply this
suggestion from my A&P
Old April 28th 19, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Start by unlocking the spoilers (they should be locked while in the trailer).

Pull one wing spoiler rod over the fuselage connection and secure. Repeat with other.

Once both spoiler rods are connected, check that they remain at equal height while the spoiler handle moves from max to locked.

If not, maintenance intervention is required.
Old May 1st 19, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, April 26, 2019 at 4:15:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I seem to have little difficulty connecting and detaching the sleeved connectors for the ailerons and right spoiler.
Left spoiler sleeve is a PIA. After connecting, I
notice that the locking sleeves have some fractional , minute, wobble except the left spoiler.
I have owned this ship for a year and have assembled around ten times.
Confident that this is the ship not the assembler.
Any comments?
Cary

This is a long shot but just wondering if you are in this AD serial number range for your PW-5 (Mine is not.) and that might be the cause? See about 3/4 down the document:

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...-pw-6u-gliders
Old May 3rd 19, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My A&P performed annual inspect last week.
No active ADs.

I did measure the hook distance,front to back.
Sure enough, left spoiler hook was 2/10 of MM shorter
than the aileron hook.

So I followed my A&P advice and used a jewelers round file to enlarge the inside of the
hook to the front. Apparent enlargement was
not apparent to the eye yet the sleeve showed
a slight wobble consistent with the other connections and the connections on my club mates pw5.
Attachment and de-tachment was trouble free.

Hope this solves my troubles with this connection.

Thank you soaring bros for posting