(OT) MS Simmers

Old April 28th 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default (OT) MS Simmers

"Dan544" dan544p@hotmail wrote in message

Dudley.. Have seen you many times in the other NG.

I promise you folks with the little knowledge I have, I will not question
you.. Just here for the learning experience.

Dan

You are more than welcome as far as I'm concerned, and from what you are
saying, I'm sure other pilots here will feel the same way.
Think out your questions as completely as you can ; be as explicit as you
can, and post here. I don't see any problem at all for you on this group. In
fact, for the most part, I think you will find these pilots on the whole to
be a very nice bunch of people eager to see you enjoy the simulator.
Contrary to what you might think, most pilots thoroughly enjoy sharing their
knowledge and experience with others.
So good luck; just enter the fray quietly and get to know some of the pilots
here. I think you'll do all right.
Dudley Henriques

Old April 28th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_2_]

"Dan544" dan544p@hotmail wrote in message
I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a
negative look at simmers.

You added an extra s at the end of that sentence. There is only one simmer
who bothered me.
He doesn't live in my world anymore. I do see the occasional post about him,
but nothing written by him,
or any responses to him. Once he pollutes a thread, my computer hides it
from me.

I have always loved aviation. For me, because of physical limitations and
age, I will never be able to fly a real airplane alone.

Just don't write yourself off too quickly. Find out if your physical
limitations will really
prevent you from flying.

I understand that it will never compare to rt experiences, and I also
understand that idiots like mxmaniac do not represent us simmers. It is a
game, but it does give us some little feel about flying.

I have nothing against sims, but sims don't like me. I can't land a sim
plane without crashing. I've
landed hundereds of times in a real plane without doing any damage.

I have a friend who flies for Continental on 737's from Newark,, He is
impressed with simming and says it is a good way to learn the basics, but
not a substitute for RT.

I enjoy listening and learning from you folks and I know we might post
stupid questions at times. Maybe we are jealous of you. I am. So please
bear with the ignorance.

Ask away. You'll probably get plenty of answers.

Dan

Old April 28th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Dan544 writes:

I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a
negative look at simmers.

I think some pilots are more interested in aviation as a means to
impress others than as an end in itself. Such pilots are irritated by
anyone who seems to be trespassing on their turf. Pilots who are
interested in aviation for its own sake logically would not be
bothered.

Nobody's bothered moron. You're just sport..

Bertie
Old April 28th 07, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

[...]

Although there might always be some people in any community as
specialized as a real world aviation newsgroup who might not
interface well with the flight simulator community, those who don't
interact well are in the minority by FAR.
On the other hand there are literally hundreds of pilots and aviation
enthusiasts out here from all over the world who not only interact
well with the sim community, but enjoy using the simulator
themselves. Some, like myself, even devote copious amounts of time
working not only with those who use the simulator, but also with
Microsoft and developers doing design work in the simulator program
itself. Please feel free to post here at any time you wish to
interact and/or ask a real world aviation question. If that question
is presented properly, I'm sure you will find the real world pilots
who frequent these groups to be friendly and responsive.
I believe that any simulator pilot posting to an actual aviation
newsgroup who approaches real life pilots in a pleasant and
respectful manner will have no problems along the lines you have
indicated. Dudley Henriques
Retired Professional Pilot
MVP Microsoft Flight Simulator

Dudley.. Have seen you many times in the other NG.

I promise you folks with the little knowledge I have, I will not
question
you.. Just here for the learning experience.

It's not ther questioning that's the problem.. It's usualy the
questioner.

Bertie

Old April 28th 07, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan544

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Dan544 writes:

Is an idiot anything like a cripple?

Sorry.. It is not my style to charactarize anyone like that..

You said "idiots like mxmaniac." I was wondering if you ridicule people
in
other equally cruel and thoughtless ways as well. You know, people who
have,
say, physical limitations, or age.

What is it that you do not understand the word Sorry?

Dan

Old April 28th 07, 11:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Apr 27, 7:03 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Dan544 writes:
I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a negative
look at simmers.

I think some pilots are more interested in aviation as a means to impress
others than as an end in itself. Such pilots are irritated by anyone who
seems to be trespassing on their turf.

There was a thread not too long ago about an article in some magazine
talking about the declining pilot population. Someone said, and I
agree with him on this point, that this could be in part due to pilots
no longer being seen as "heroes" by the general public. People like
Yeager and Lindberg were looked up to back in the day. People were
drawn to aviation because they wanted to be seen as "heroes" by
everyone else. The same thing goes for actors; a good majority of them
are only drawn to the profession because of the glamor of Hollywood.

People here expected to be fawned over because they have a pilot
certificate. MX doesn't fawn over anyone. He sees answers to his
question as just that; answers to questions. He sees people here as
human beings who happen to have a lot of knowledge pertaining to
aviation; not demigods who have blessed him with their presence. I had
college professors who thought highly of themselves who were the same
way. They'd give an unclear answer, and if you questioned them, you'd
get scoffed off.

When I was little I didn't idolize any aviators. I didn't have F-14
posters on my wall, nor did I care for anything else aviation related.
If I were to meet a Blue Angel, I would have just said "uhhh, hi". I
don't think I even had a toy airplane growing up. I actually did have
a friend when I was little who was into aviation big time. He could
tell you the engine thrust, takeoff weight, and everything else for
just about every single military plane ever made. I thought he was
just a big dweeb.

I guess I just kind of fell into aviation. I started because I like
the science of it. I like traveling. I like adventure. Even now my
relationship with aviation is very cold and distant. I don't sleep
with my POH's, but I do study them. I don't feel those warm fuzzy
feelings most pilots say they feel, but I do feel other feelings.
Those other feelings I guess only people like me can feel, not those
who see aviation completely differently...

I don't ever hope to pick up chicks with my striped epaulets, nor do I
ever expect people to fawn over me when I say those magic words "I'm a
pilot" at a cocktail party. Thats just now why I do it. If a non-pilot
asks me a question pertaining to aviation, and I give him an answer
that he thinks is wrong, I'm not going to be insulted. I'll use my
superior knowledge to defend my position, but I sure as hell won't get
emotional about it.

Doctors don't go off on their patients calling them morons when the
patient disagrees with the prognosis, why should pilots? It's just not
professional.

Honestly, this kind of behavior, seen on this newsgroup, and in real
life, has recently made me doubt wanting to continue my aviation
career. It's one of those things I've been trying to not think about,
because it always gets me down.

Sorry this post has been all over the place, but this topic has been
going through my mind for a few years now. It's not something I can
just condense into a few paragraphs.

Pilots who are interested in aviation
for its own sake logically would not be bothered.

Which is me. Some of the questions you post are pretty stupid, but I
just ignore those. They're just words on a computer screen. It's not
worth having an aneurysm over. Some of your questions are very good,
and if others would take them seriously could be even more interesting.

Old April 28th 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
The Old Bloke[_4_]

oups.com...
Dan544 writes:
[...]

..
First, let me say I am not a pilot. But I agree with your opinions. MX
doesn't impress me, He asks many questions and then questions the answers.
I agree entirely with your statement, "People here expected to be fawned
over because they have a pilot certificate. MX doesn't fawn over anyone."
Except I would say "some people". Whilst MX will argue the point he rarely
(if ever) is abusive. Not unlike his attackers, some of whom I am
embarrassed by. Sorry, but there is a killer pack mentality at work amongst
a small number of individuals, not just on this NG but others. Before I
retired I dealt with many people like MX. They can be trying, but we must
not try to destroy people! MX is intelligent.

Lastly, if you don't like MX, don't read his posts! If you don't like him,
but still read his posts and then attack, maybe you need to take a deep
breathe.

Our house expert Dudley H doesn't let these things upset him. Try and
learn from this distinguished pilot.

Old April 28th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
The Old Bloke[_4_]

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
"Dan544" dan544p@hotmail wrote in message
I do not understand why so many of you real time pilots take such a
negative look at simmers.

You added an extra s at the end of that sentence. There is only one simmer
who bothered me.
He doesn't live in my world anymore. I do see the occasional post about
him, but nothing written by him,
or any responses to him. Once he pollutes a thread, my computer hides it
from me.

I have always loved aviation. For me, because of physical limitations and
age, I will never be able to fly a real airplane alone.

Just don't write yourself off too quickly. Find out if your physical
limitations will really
prevent you from flying.

*****I can't speak for Dan, but I have had 3 strokes, and would not be able
to physically get into an aircraft.

Old April 28th 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS

"buttman" wrote...

People like
Yeager and Lindberg were looked up to back in the day.

Yes, but I don't think it was just because they were pilots. I think it had
more to do with what they accomplished, just as it does today.

People here expected to be fawned over because they have a pilot
certificate.

I really don't think that statement is true. The problems occur because
some people like to argue for arguement's sake. They are not really
interested in answers to questions.

Those other feelings I guess only people like me can feel, not those
who see aviation completely differently...

I'm not sure what you mean. For me powered flight is simply a means of
travel that also happens to be enjoyable and sometimes challenging. Like
every other activity in life, it also allows one to experience things that
can only be experienced through participation in the particular activity.
The unique experiences one can get through participation in aviation is what
makes it special to most of us.

I don't ever hope to pick up chicks with my striped epaulets, nor do I
ever expect people to fawn over me when I say those magic words "I'm a
pilot" at a cocktail party.

Good, 'cause it ain't gonna happen. Nobody really cares, and most of them
have no interest at all in flying.

Honestly, this kind of behavior, seen on this newsgroup, and in real
life, has recently made me doubt wanting to continue my aviation
career.

You've got to be kidding.

Which is me. Some of the questions you post are pretty stupid, but I
just ignore those. They're just words on a computer screen.

So true, but then why are you considering changing what you do for a living
just because of what you read on usenet?

BDS

Old April 28th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_2_]

"The Old Bloke" wrote in message

"Steve Foley" wrote in message

Just don't write yourself off too quickly. Find out if your physical
limitations will really
prevent you from flying.

*****I can't speak for Dan, but I have had 3 strokes, and would not be
able to physically get into an aircraft.

While I was training for my private, there was a guy in a wheelchair also
training. More than once I helped him in or out of the aircraft. There was
also the recent thread of the blind pilot. I would have assumed that neither
of these could fly. Don't assume anything.