B-52 Re-engining?

Old September 25th 03, 12:57 PM
Anonymous

Tex Houston wrote in message ...

"The Raven" wrote in message

Agreed the engines are different but the point was that a small country

can
maintain 35 "obsolete" aircraft and produce all the necessessary engine
parts. The US B-52 fleet by comparison is massive so, one would assume

that
would be a more economically viable solution.
The Raven

I'd hardly call the 93 plane B-52 fleet vs 35 F-111s as 'massive'.

I'd hardly call Australia "a small country" !!

Cheers
Graeme

Old September 25th 03, 01:54 PM
The Raven

"The Raven" wrote in message

Agreed the engines are different but the point was that a small country

can
maintain 35 "obsolete" aircraft and produce all the necessessary engine
parts. The US B-52 fleet by comparison is massive so, one would assume

that
would be a more economically viable solution.
The Raven

I'd hardly call the 93 plane B-52 fleet vs 35 F-111s as 'massive'.

I'd hardly call Australia "a small country" !!

And the population is what compared to the US?

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3

Old September 25th 03, 02:09 PM
Anonymous

The Raven wrote in message ...
I'd hardly call Australia "a small country" !!

And the population is what compared to the US?

That's my point - Australia is a big country. It just doesn't have as many
people living in it as the US does.

nitpick mode off

Cheers
Graeme

Old September 25th 03, 02:16 PM
The Raven

"Anonymous" wrote in message

The Raven wrote in message ...
I'd hardly call Australia "a small country" !!

And the population is what compared to the US?

That's my point - Australia is a big country. It just doesn't have as

many
people living in it as the US does.

nitpick mode off

Fair enough, perhaps I should have clarified.......................but it's
not like a nation is going to have heaps of aircraft without a decent
population.

Old September 25th 03, 02:37 PM
Anonymous

The Raven wrote in message ...
Fair enough, perhaps I should have clarified.......................but it's
not like a nation is going to have heaps of aircraft without a decent
population.

Britain's got a fair size airforce, hasn't it ?

I'd have thought that Australia would have had more aircraft due to the size
of the territory they have to defend.

The fact that Australia is entirely surrounded by oceans means that it needs
to be able to guard its coastline.

Most of the population is coastal, and is concentrated in and around the
major cities, so I suppose that's where the airforce will be concentrated.

But they will still need to prevent any potential threats making a landing
on the coast in a secluded area and then setting up base on Australian soil.

Cheers
Graeme

Old September 25th 03, 03:32 PM
Steve Hix

In article ,
"The Raven" wrote:

"Anonymous" wrote in message

The Raven wrote in message ...
I'd hardly call Australia "a small country" !!

And the population is what compared to the US?

That's my point - Australia is a big country. It just doesn't have as

many
people living in it as the US does.

nitpick mode off

Fair enough, perhaps I should have clarified.......................but it's
not like a nation is going to have heaps of aircraft without a decent
population.

Could they have more with an indecent population?
Old September 25th 03, 03:45 PM
Anonymous

Steve Hix wrote in message ...
In article ,
"The Raven" wrote:

Fair enough, perhaps I should have clarified.......................but it's
not like a nation is going to have heaps of aircraft without a decent
population.

Could they have more with an indecent population?

They wouldn't need any if they were all indecent. No bugger would try and
invade !

NUDE AUSTRALIANS - the ultimate deterrant against invasion...

Cheers
Graeme

Old September 25th 03, 04:13 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Anonymous" wrote in message

The Raven wrote in message ...
I'd hardly call Australia "a small country" !!

And the population is what compared to the US?

That's my point - Australia is a big country. It just doesn't have as

many
people living in it as the US does.

Or even half as many people as California does.

Old September 25th 03, 06:31 PM
Harry Andreas

In article , "Anonymous" wrote:

Steve Hix wrote in message ...
In article ,
"The Raven" wrote:

Fair enough, perhaps I should have clarified.......................but it's
not like a nation is going to have heaps of aircraft without a decent
population.

Could they have more with an indecent population?

They wouldn't need any if they were all indecent. No bugger would try and
invade !

NUDE AUSTRALIANS - the ultimate deterrant against invasion...

Hmmm. Thinking of Elle MacPherson just now. There's at least one good
reason to invade. What about Nicole Kidman? Reason two...

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Old September 26th 03, 12:43 AM
BUFDRVR

Agreed the engines are different but the point was that a small country can
maintain 35 "obsolete" aircraft and produce all the necessessary engine
parts. The US B-52 fleet by comparison is massive so, one would assume that
would be a more economically viable solution.

Actually, that's why they're looking at putting new engines on the BUFF,
machining new parts is becoming increasingly more expensive every year. A few
years ago an "emergency contract" had to be awarded to a company to produce
constant speed drive shafts for our generators. We had used up the ones in the
boneyard and the B-52 CSD on the TF-33 differs slightly from the C-141 and E-3
TF-33. The company that had produced the CSD for the BUFF TF-33 was out of
buisness years earlier. The results were that a *very* expensive contract was
awarded to produce the new CSD shafts.

Every year the B-52 runs into similiar problems and every year the contracts
get greater in number and more expensive.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"