Peschges VP3 Problems

Old November 23rd 03, 08:06 AM
Nick Gilbert

Default Peschges VP3 Problems

Hi There,

I have a VP3E that is giving nonsense characters on startup. Have flicked
all switches to no avail. Anyone seen this before? Is there anyone left that
can service Peschges stuff?

Nick.

Old November 24th 03, 06:18 AM
Veli-Matti Karppinen

Nick Gilbert wrote:

Hi There,

I have a VP3E that is giving nonsense characters on startup. Have flicked
all switches to no avail. Anyone seen this before? Is there anyone left
that can service Peschges stuff?

Nick.

Hi,

Could this be a problem with the LCD display contacts? Try cleaning the
rubbers, ours had a lot of dust etc. in between the glass and the rubber
contacts. You could perhaps also _very gently_ try to press the display
edges and see if it helps to get a proper contact...

BR Veli-Matti
Old November 24th 03, 10:30 AM
Chris Reed

I had this problem earlier this year - it turned out to be caused by a
faulty connection in the wiring to the battery.

The problem took ages to diagnose (because I thought the VP3 had just died
of old age or had something wrong internally and so didn't test the
circuitry). I finally discovered the problem because the connection
deteriorated so far that the radio stopped working.

This one is quick and cheap to check, so I'd try it early on.

Old November 27th 03, 12:54 AM
Nick Gilbert

Just an update.

The wiring & the screen appear to be fine. I completely dissassembled the
unit and found 2 watch type batteries, both dead flat, and both the original
batteries in a 12 year old instrument. 5 years seems to be their useful
life. I have a feeling that as a result the eproms contain no data!

Thanks for your help.

Nick.

Old November 27th 03, 06:39 PM
Robert Ehrlich

Nick Gilbert wrote:
I have a feeling that as a result the eproms contain no data!

So these things are not eproms!
Old November 27th 03, 09:58 PM
Nick Gilbert

egg-zachary.

Old December 1st 03, 07:42 PM
Mike Borgelt

Nick Gilbert wrote:
I have a feeling that as a result the eproms contain no data!

So these things are not eproms!

They may be battery backed static RAM but I think the program was in
EPROM in the Peschges instruments. The RAM probably holds data while
the program is running and the batteries provide memory retention in
the evnet of a ship's power interruption.

If the EPROMS are damaged you could always copy ones from another VP3.

Mike Borgelt
Old December 2nd 03, 04:12 AM
Nick Gilbert

Thanks Mike. In the event that I get it working, is it any better than one
of your old b24-b25 systems?

nick