New student pilot apprehensions

Old April 29th 09, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TonyV[_2_]

Default New student pilot apprehensions

Shameless plug for my instructor's technique, but try taping a wooden
paint stirring stick to the top of the panel. Helps in visualizing the
bank angle.

Ah, flat land flyer :-). Or, you can use the instrument mounting screws
- pick any instrument, if the lower left and upper right screws are
parallel with the horizon, you're in as 45 degree right bank.

Tony
Old April 29th 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Roche-Kelly

Or possibly inverted!
Best wishes

JohnR-K
Old April 29th 09, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Roche-Kelly

Or possibly inverted!
Best wishes

JohnR-K
Old April 29th 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael[_7_]

On Apr 28, 12:24*pm, wrote:
Hear ye, oh hear ye, the towing mantra:

"Wings, Wheels"

(Wings parallel, wheels on the horizon)

Repeat every 2 seconds and maintain this position until release.

That's basically what one of my instructors did for me. He broke it
down into a vertical and horizontal movement. When he talked about it
that way, the entire chaotic tow began to seem manageable.

--Michael
Old May 3rd 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vic

To be honest - As an instructor I think it's a bit unfair to give you the
controls during the tow so early ... The key success factor (at the
beginning) is: DO NOT try to follw the tug. Just keep the same bank as the
tug, the rope will (very progressively) align you. As soon as you try to
follow the tug, you are in trouble.

Vic

"Michael" wrote in message
Hi all,

I’m a new student glider pilot. I have a grand total of 77 minutes
flying time in six flights. The challenge of all of this has been
immensely satisfying.

I’m hoping yall can help me out with some “okay, that was a little
different than I expected” items.

First, when I am flying straight and level, the glider does not follow
a direct path, but rather is buffeted about a little bit. The nose
will go a little left and right and also up and down and I have to
make small adjustments with the stick. My instructor noticed I tend
to way over correct. In my youth, I played those very primitive
flight simulators (Apple II SimLogic anyone?) in which the flight was
ice-smooth, just like an arrow, I suppose. “Real life” isn’t like
that in gliders, apparently?

The tow rope keeps me up at night. Aerotow freaks me out. With my
inexperience in coordinated flight, I am terrified that these
oscillations I get into will upset the tow plane (and pilot). I feel
I’m doing this left bank, right bank, over correct, left, right, left
right…. I know my instructor is back there. This stuff does get
easier doesn’t it? I mean 14 year-olds do this…. (I’m 33.) My last
instructor (I’m in a gliding club in which we have a different
instructor each week), demonstrated boxing the wake and I was sure the
rope was going to break….but it didn’t, even going through the prop
wash of the tow plane.

And speaking of the tow rope. I need to get more confidence in it.
When that rope gets taught, I freeze up. I am terrified of it
breaking. However, I recently ran across a video (It’s on the SSA
site) of a real rope break. It really was no big deal. The rope
broke, the glider had a momentary shudder, the pilot muttered
something, then calmly landed the glider. It was no big deal. I
need more confidence in the rope!

I’ve been grounded for two weeks due to the flu, but I can’t wait to
get back up in the air!

--Michael

New student pilot Richard Carpenter Piloting 23 September 12th 07 01:41 AM
Yet another student pilot blog [email protected] Piloting 0 March 24th 05 04:26 PM
Student Pilot at 50 TF Piloting 31 March 16th 04 12:58 AM
Another Frustrated Student Pilot OutofRudder Piloting 13 January 24th 04 02:20 AM
Student Pilot Patrick Piloting 1 August 7th 03 05:38 AM