FS: Libelle 201b

Old March 6th 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Hanke

Default FS: Libelle 201b

Posting for a friend:

Libelle 201b

1968, SN# 13, Standard Class, Experimental Airworthiness,
approximately 3700 hours TT, no damage history, top and bottom
spoilers, radio inoperative, mechanical Vario, electric vario, nice
fiberglass trailer repainted with polyurethane in 2006, canopy in good
condition (no cracks), exceptional internal sealed, Located in
Saratoga Springs, NY.

Photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kurtloz...7614279943015/

Asking : $16,900 OBO

Contact: Kurt Lozier
518-469-3291
E-mail:

Old March 13th 09, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_4_]

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 17:38:47 -0700, info wrote:

See ad at:
http://sites.google.com/site/soaring...me/usa-canada/

sailplanes-motorgliders

It certainly looks nice, but its NOT an H.201B. The top and bottom
spoilers and s/n 13 place it as an early H.201. At #13 all flying
surfaces will have balsa skins.

In case you're wondering, I own #82, which is also an H.201.

The upgrade to the B series was progressive, starting from #111 and
ending with #182. This involved replacing balsa with foam in the flying
surfaces, a revised tailplane and installing ballast bags as standard.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old March 23rd 09, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 13, 9:07*am, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 17:38:47 -0700, info wrote:
See ad at:
http://sites.google.com/site/soaring...me/usa-canada/

sailplanes-motorgliders

It certainly looks nice, but its NOT an H.201B. *The top and bottom
spoilers and s/n 13 place it as an early H.201. At #13 all flying
surfaces will have balsa skins.

In case you're wondering, I own #82, which is also an H.201.

The upgrade to the B series was progressive, starting from #111 and
ending with #182. This involved replacing balsa with foam in the flying
surfaces, a revised tailplane and installing ballast bags as standard.

--
martin@ * | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org * * * |

Martin,

You are correct. My family owned a 201 and a 201b. I can't recall the
details and the paperwork has long since passed to subsequent owners
but I know there was a factory-approved procedure for installing water
ballast bags in the 201. It's quite possible that the resulting
configuration was officially referred to as a 201b. Also, you
mentioned it in passing but the 201b had dive brakes on the top
surface of the wing only. I actually preferred the smaller horizontal
tail of the 201. With my weight and with water, I could circle up
inside most other gliders with the tail buffeting. Not sure whether it
was the tail stalling or just the turbulence from the wings/fuselage
spilling over it but the glider climbed like a shot. I kept up with
the 15M ships in our first 15M nationals in 1976 with this technique
even though they could outrun me. I also learned how to sideslip well
in this glider as the dive brakes were not as effective as today's.
Great little airplane and the first modern glider I ever flew. Lots of
good memories.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA
Old March 23rd 09, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_4_]

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 05:36:39 -0700, chip.bearden wrote:

You are correct. My family owned a 201 and a 201b. I can't recall the
details and the paperwork has long since passed to subsequent owners but
I know there was a factory-approved procedure for installing water
ballast bags in the 201.

I wasn't aware that fitting water bags was factory approved. Mine had a
set of bags from a Kestrel fitted between 1979 and 1983. As I heard that
leaking bags and porous inner skin had done for a few H.301s I was very
glad to know they'd only been there for four years.

It's quite possible that the resulting
configuration was officially referred to as a 201b.

As far as I know the 201b designation involved several items: foam skins,
new tailplane, revised brakes, ballast bags as standard and increased Vne
and Mtow limits.

Anybody who is interested can see exactly when these changes occurred
because all the TNs are available on Hansjörg Streifeneder's site,
http://www.streifly.de/

Also, you mentioned it in passing but the 201b had dive brakes on
the top surface of the wing only.

That's correct. Lower surface brakes is the easiest way to tell a 201
from a 201b. Everything else apart from the tailplane change are internal
and I, for one, can't walk up to a lone Libelle and tell which tailplane
it has.

I have a feeling, but can't prove it, that the brakes were revised to
minimize damage when landing in crops or long grass. I've seen a
recommendation that you whip the brakes in as the glider settles at the
end of a fully held off landing to prevent the crop from damaging the
lower surface brakes.

I'm told there's little or no difference in effectiveness between the
brakes on a 201 and a 201b, but as I've only flown a 201b once I'm not
the person to ask about that.

I also learned how to sideslip well in this glider as the
dive brakes were not as effective as today's.

Roger that!

Its a very controllable slip. It drops like a sack of anvils when
slipped, which was perfect for getting into Milfield over the small trees
and down the bank.

Great little airplane and the first modern glider I ever flew.
Lots of good memories.

Mine suits me better than anything else I've flown. My club's Pegase 90
would be its closest rival for that slot.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old March 24th 09, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete Smith[_3_]

As far as I know the 201b designation involved several items: foam skins,

new tailplane, revised brakes, ballast bags as standard and increased Vne

and Mtow limits.

Anybody who is interested can see exactly when these changes occurred
because all the TNs are available on Hansjörg Streifeneder's site,
http://www.streifly.de/

Also, you mentioned it in passing but the 201b had dive brakes on
the top surface of the wing only.

That's correct. Lower surface brakes is the easiest way to tell a 201
from a 201b. Everything else apart from the tailplane change are internal

and I, for one, can't walk up to a lone Libelle and tell which tailplane

it has.

201 has a sharp radius to the leading edge tip (15mm radius?) the 201b
tailplane has a much larger radius (50mm?)
Old March 24th 09, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

We have (6) privately owned Libelle's in our soaring club. There is a
huge difference between each horizontal stabilizer in sahpe and
thickness... They must have changed throughout the production series..

Old May 6th 09, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

OWNER IS CONSIDERING OFFERS.....

On Mar 12, 8:38*pm, wrote:
See ad at:http://sites.google.com/site/soaring...a-canada/sailp...

On Mar 6, 3:55*pm, Tim Hanke wrote:

Posting for a friend:

Libelle201b

1968, SN# 13, Standard Class, Experimental Airworthiness,
approximately 3700 hours TT, no damage history, top and bottom
spoilers, radio inoperative, mechanical Vario, electric vario, nice
fiberglass trailer repainted with polyurethane in 2006, canopy in good
condition (no cracks), exceptional internal sealed, Located in
Saratoga Springs, NY.

Photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kurtloz...7614279943015/

Asking : $16,900 OBO

Contact: Kurt Lozier
518-469-3291
E-mail: - Hide quoted text -

Wanted Libelle 201b Canopy Fish Soaring 2 June 1st 06 07:10 PM
1-35 or 201B Waduino Soaring 11 April 2nd 06 07:32 PM
Libelle 201B Manual Joris Vanderputten Soaring 1 May 8th 05 12:49 PM
Libelle 201B in SoCal... Pat Russette Soaring 0 April 9th 05 05:42 AM
Dual Tires on Libelle 201b Ray Lovinggood Soaring 11 September 9th 04 04:34 PM