History Question - 1983 Worlds in Hobbs

Old September 6th 16, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

Default History Question - 1983 Worlds in Hobbs

I'm hoping to update the historic record of my Nimbus 3 which was flown in the 1983 Worlds in Hobbs. The glider was owned by Lawrence Wood at the time. The flight hours were logged, but there's no mention of who flew it in the worlds.

Does anyone know which pilot flew Lawrence Wood's Nimbus 3 (7L - N3127Q) in the '83 Worlds in Hobbs? Any leads would be appreciated.

Cheers,
7Q
Old September 6th 16, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 16:32 06 September 2016, Craig Funston wrote:
I'm hoping to update the historic record of my Nimbus 3 which

was flown in
the 1983 Worlds in Hobbs. The glider was owned by Lawrence

Wood at the
time. The flight hours were logged, but there's no mention of who

flew it
in the worlds.

Does anyone know which pilot flew Lawrence Wood's Nimbus 3

(7L - N3127Q) in
the '83 Worlds in Hobbs? Any leads would be appreciated.

Cheers,
7Q

7Q,

The SSA on line archive has an article on the 1983 WGC by Doug
Lamont in the September 1983 issue:

http://ssa.org/Archive/ViewIssue.asp...=1983&month=09

It appears that nobody flying in the open class used 7L, which is
not to say that your glider didn't fly there. The pilot probably just
used a different contest number. It looks like Holger Back of
Germany flew a Ventus with the CN# 7L. My guess is that because
Holger had already reserved 7L, your glider's pilot had to modify the
contest number on your glider. The easiest modification from
looking at the score sheet would have been converting 7L to ZL with
some duct tape, etc. ZL was flown by Sweden's Ake Pettersson to
5th place. If the individual flights are logged, you might compare
speeds etc with the score sheet. David Innes of Guernsey flew #74
which is also a possibility for a modified 7L, but not as easy to do.

RO

Old September 6th 16, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 11:00:22 AM UTC-7, Michael Opitz wrote:
[...]

Thanks Michael,

I've been through the Soaring article as well and have the same suspicion that Ake is the pilot given that a few pieces of colored tape are the only barrier between "7L" and "ZL". There aren't any speeds in the logbook so I can only make rough approximations. I'm hoping someone's able to confirm from memory or has old pictures that show the N number.

7Q
Old September 6th 16, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_3_]

David Innes shipped his own Nimbus 3, UK comp no. 174 to the '83 Worlds,
so I guess Ake is the best candidate.

At 20:12 06 September 2016, Craig Funston wrote:
On Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 11:00:22 AM UTC-7, Michael Opitz wrote:
At 16:32 06 September 2016, Craig Funston wrote:
I'm hoping to update the historic record of my Nimbus 3 which=20

was flown in
the 1983 Worlds in Hobbs. The glider was owned by Lawrence=20

Wood at the
time. The flight hours were logged, but there's no mention of who=20

flew it
in the worlds. =20

Does anyone know which pilot flew Lawrence Wood's Nimbus 3=20

(7L - N3127Q) in
the '83 Worlds in Hobbs? Any leads would be appreciated.

Cheers,
7Q

7Q,
=20
The SSA on line archive has an article on the 1983 WGC by Doug=20
Lamont in the September 1983 issue:
=20
http://ssa.org/Archive/ViewIssue.asp...983&month=3D09
=20
It appears that nobody flying in the open class used 7L, which is=20
not to say that your glider didn't fly there. The pilot probably

just=20
used a different contest number. It looks like Holger Back of=20
Germany flew a Ventus with the CN# 7L. My guess is that because=20
Holger had already reserved 7L, your glider's pilot had to modify

the=20
contest number on your glider. The easiest modification from=20
looking at the score sheet would have been converting 7L to ZL with=20
some duct tape, etc. ZL was flown by Sweden's Ake Pettersson to=20
5th place. If the individual flights are logged, you might compare=20
speeds etc with the score sheet. David Innes of Guernsey flew #74=20

=

Old September 6th 16, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Craig

I purchased 3127Q from Lawrence Wood and knew it was flown at Hobbs Worlds per the logbook and Lawrence. This was over thirty years ago, but seems that Ake Petersen flew 27Q. The Ventus with comp # 7L was delivered to Lawrence Wood after the contest and was later acquired by Ken Sorenson.

Jim Callaway
Old September 7th 16, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

Thanks Jim
Old September 8th 16, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ake Pettersson flew a Cirrus I used to own at the 1974 World Comps in Waikerie, Australia. I contacted him via email, and he sent me a stack of photos of the glider during the comp - you should try the same thing!

Cheers,
Nick.
Old September 8th 16, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 7:47:26 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Ake Pettersson flew a Cirrus I used to own at the 1974 World Comps in Waikerie, Australia. I contacted him via email, and he sent me a stack of photos of the glider during the comp - you should try the same thing!

Cheers,
Nick.

Excellent suggestion Nick. Thanks

Craig

Soaring history question Don Pyeatt Soaring 2 July 24th 12 04:46 PM
pre worlds BB Soaring 5 July 29th 07 01:59 AM
History question: homebuilt pushers [email protected] Home Built 7 May 3rd 07 03:51 PM
Question for history buffs: Did the word 'snargasher' mean anything Wanda Puvogel General Aviation 2 December 29th 05 07:34 PM
Medical Question - History Pudealee Piloting 6 August 27th 04 09:59 PM