Glider Crash in CA

Old March 10th 16, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Default Glider Crash in CA

On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 10:11:09 AM UTC-5, wrote:
He was not in control at all the final 20 seconds. They are very lucky to have survived spinning into the terrain they did and walk away. I assume the NTSB probably had no clue this footage existed when the report was written and I doubt most TV shows wait two years before airing footage. Guessing the show held it back until the report was finalized. Though I don't believe they mention it in the show, the pilot was supposedly the passengers cousin. He held a private glider license with 200 hours. Guessing they thought it was a cool idea to go shoot a glider flight up in the mountains and he lacked the experience to do it successfully.

A question I have is was that a Standard Type cert glider or does it matter about attaching a camera to outside and was there a log book endorsement for camera attachment to outside of glider for test prior to carrying a passenger or is that not needed?
Old March 10th 16, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

He was obviously flying too slow because he stalled, then spun. I wonder if the fact that he was approaching rising terrain created the illusion of a more nose down attitude than he really had, so he wasn't aware he had slowed down.

I doubt he was looking for a place to land right there, as he could clearly escape to the flatlands and find a better option.
Old March 11th 16, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

That was the creepiest damn thing I've ever seen. Then that awful crash...
Old March 11th 16, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I watched that plastic surgeons of beverly hills video, man bad news! Typical stall spin, absolute idiocy and what a way to misspromote soaring! I really hate videos and programs like this, all they do is reinforce public misperceptions of what we do. Whoever was piloting that ride need not ever step into another sailplane!
Old March 11th 16, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Having a camera rolling, especially for a TV show, probably had some factor in his chain of bad decision making to end up where he did. I've been guilty of it myself and have talked with plenty of other pilots who have put a lump in there throat (or worse) due to an audience or a camera rolling.

On Monday, March 17, 2014 at 6:56:49 AM UTC-7, Tom (TK) wrote:
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/gene...ear-wrightwood

Glad everyone is okay!

Old March 11th 16, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes DR, I can say I am also guilty of some hot dogging when a camera is rolling, i did some stunting in a 2-32 with a passanger and no chutes years ago but we were up at 10k feet, but geesh, a guy has got to know when to draw the line, ok you screwed the pootch by getting on the wrong side of the ridge, ok I guess your gonna land out, so accept the inevidable and set her down, if you can get outta the mtns to the valley, do it, if your really screwed and cant make the valley then set her down in a controlled fashion, ding the ship but walk away. This pilot totally messed up and its a miracle these guys didnt get seriously hurt. The video shows at least one complete revolution in the spin, i dont think this pilot had any clue as to what was happening to him.
Old September 4th 16, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Interesting to come across this. I just saw that TV show and decided to search web for info on this. In addition to news stories, NTSB report, and other stuff, I found this video from L.A. County Sherriff of the pax extraction from the site.

https://youtu.be/g0Jws14t0rk

Interesting to note the large GoPro camera rig that was on the left wing at time of crash is gone.

Yes, the account of attempted off-field landing in the report does not jive with the video footage we see in the show. Also, the report would have mentioned video if they had known about it, and thus certainly viewed it. Since there were no major injuries or property damage, an investigator likely did not go to the scene and the report was based on a statement from the pilot.

It appears that what really happened was that the Dr. or show producers probably figured a glider flight would make good footage for the show. So the Dr arranged for his cousin to take them up. Cousin may have wanted to impress with scenery over nearby Angeles Forest mountains. A 9000' tow is pretty high, but in mid March, with still cool-ish weather, there probably was no thermal lift or mountain wave, especially at around 11:00 am. Pilot was past ridge line and sunk right into valley with no hope of making it to a good landing area. So his story is pretty close, except he messed up and spun in. Very fortunate circumstances of terrain and angle plumped him relatively gently onto brush with almost zero forward speed.

My guess is that before rescue came, pilot persuaded Dr to hide the cameras/take with them.

And, as someone already mentioned, once the NTSB report was closed it was safe to put the footage into the show.

The only outstanding issue was if the pilot was asked if there was any photo or video evidence when he gave report, and he said no, that could be trouble for him.

Anyway, everyone was OK after, the show got some great story, and the glider appears to have been sold for salvage (Google it's reg number and you'll see). So it's a somewhat happy ending.

But one more thing: That glider school. The footage we see in the show makes it appear that the flight was expected to be about 30 minutes, yet when they hadn't returned an hour and a half later, the school appears to still not want to call for search and rescue, and that it was only after one of the Dr's friends called the Sherriff - over two hours after departure - did any rescue effort begin. That looks bad.
Old September 9th 16, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 3:20:31 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

A comparison of this video to the geography from Goggle Earth shows that he was south of Baldy instead of north towards the glider port. This area is a highly populated in the neighborhood of Ontario, CA. Given that, he was, at most, 13 nm and probably just 10 nm from the Brackett Field airport, which he was about 5000 ft above. This is a very easy glide from his crash location. Why didn't he glide into this airport? Who knows, but he may not have known of its location and elected to crash land rather than glide into a densely populated area. If so, the moral of the story is know ALL your options before leaving the ground.

Tom

Glider Crash in Shirley, NY [email protected] Soaring 15 May 7th 13 09:23 PM
Littlefield, Tx Glider Crash LongJourney Soaring 2 May 2nd 13 03:50 AM
Glider Crash - Minden? Mitch Soaring 141 September 13th 06 07:31 PM
Scottish Glider Crash Mike the Strike Soaring 22 July 16th 06 11:00 PM
Glider/Skydiving Crash dm Soaring 0 September 27th 03 05:13 PM