Saving tasks (routes) in iglide

Old July 25th 17, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Saving tasks (routes) in iglide

Does anyone know how iGlide saves tasks? I put in a task, sometime it saves it and sometimes not. Or it's I there for 3 weeks with the others and then they all disappear. Has anyone else seen this? It never loses my log files, but the tasks (routes in iGlide) seem to be stored in some non permanent location.
Old July 26th 17, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 3:49:00 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Does anyone know how iGlide saves tasks? I put in a task, sometime it saves it and sometimes not. Or it's I there for 3 weeks with the others and then they all disappear. Has anyone else seen this? It never loses my log files, but the tasks (routes in iGlide) seem to be stored in some non permanent location.

Never had them disappear. Occasionally after an update the maps will disappear, and this seems to depend on the iPhone model (happens more often on my 5s than on my 6+).

The routes are stored in a file called Routes.aip. When you back the phone up in iTunes, navigate to the app data and save it (along with the config.xml, navboxconfig.xml, and styles.xml. These are all text files in xml pseudocode which is pretty readable. There are some very interesting formatting features available by editing the config and styles files, not available in the iPhone UI. Save the old versions if you muck with them so you can get back. You can always throw the file out, next time iGlide is started it will create default ones. To use an edited version, drag it to the same app data area and overwrite the existing, then sync, then restart the app.

I'm hoping this gets easier in iOS 11, which will have the equivalent of a Finder app.
Old July 26th 17, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Easy peasy. PM me for more detailed description.

1) I believe you must have iGlide Pro although I am not certain.
2) You must rename the task/route (saves automatically in route list). See top of photo in "edit" mode

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B13J5HumnGaZKyV
Sean

Old July 26th 17, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've done that. The issue is that they disappear. Sometimes after a day, or a week, or a month. My saved routes are there one day, and gone the next. They last long enough to fly the route, but I can't seem to store any routes for an extended period of time. It's very strange. And annoying because other than this little feature iGlide is really good.
Old July 27th 17, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I tried the universal software fix. Delete and reinstall. That seems to have fixed it. I hope.
Old July 27th 17, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Interesting. Do you auto-update your iOS firmware and iGlide app via your iOS settings? Was iGlide possibly due for an update and/or on an older version and not updated to the latest version? I assume yes but felt it was worth asking. Some I know in rh Gliding world, for example, never updates their iOS. Many likely ignore the updates as well this can be a problem.

My iGlide has actually been experiencing a slight pause in response. Meaning it took a second for the app to respond to an input, in particular the addition of a TP or a change to a parameter such as radius. This was annoying me and I also did the uninstall reinstall with no improvement (it is rare that uninstall/reinstalls are the solution).

The reason I ask is that I just updated my iOS firmware this morning to the latest version, 10.3.3. This immediately solved the hesitation and the iGlide app is responding perfectly.

What model iPhone and what version of your iOS firmware are you running? Did you recently update? With complex apps such as iGlide or ForeFlight it is fairly import to keep them up to date.

This kind of "bug tolerance" is part of life and happens with most complex apps. Even my Forefligt app (huge development team with huge customer sat focus) has been buggy at times.

Keep in mind that the iGlide team is very responsive to these issues as well and an email to them is usually responded to in hours.

I'm posting this more for those who follow us into the "iGlide experience." I still believe iGlide is the best mobile soaring navigation app. I use it all the time as a backup in contests and as primary in all other glider flying and absolutely love it.

I'm glad to hear your issue is solved. It is still unclear what the problem was as the recent iOS 10.3.3 update might have been the issue. It might be worth an email to the iGlide developers (via App Store) so they can do some testing and have the issue on record.

Best,

Sean
Old July 27th 17, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 9:33:00 AM UTC-5, Sean Fidler wrote:
[...]

Sean,

I'm starting to learn cross country and was hoping that iGlide paired with a Nano would be an alternative to the Oudie IGC. It would be cheaper and nice to run off my phone. Do you see this as a good setup for a student XC pilot? Which version of iGlide would you recommend?
Old July 27th 17, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 9:25:58 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

iGlide Basic doesn't do any routes, only one "direct too" leg. iGlide Advanced does routes, so you probably want that for any serious cross country. iGlide Pro allows customization of turn point types and styles, and a few other things mostly used for racing. You can always upgrade at any time.

If you have a newer iPhone (6 or newer) it has barographic sensors. iGlide will use the built in sensors to make a pretty capable self contained glide computer. The GPS is not as accurate as a Nano but the consequences of that are small. Since the only wireless connection to an iGlide/iPhone is through WiFi, if you wanted to connect it to the Nano you would need to purchase the Air Connect serial interface. For connection to a Nano, I'm not sure there is much value in doing so. If you want to see Flarm targets on iGlide, you need the Air Connect.

I have an Oudie (Avier) with SYM, XCSoar, and Winpilot, but I only use iGlide. It's only drawbacks for me are that it does not do some types of US racing tasks, including Sean's favorite, the MAT.
Old July 27th 17, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm runnning iGlide on an iPad mini 4. I generally keep the iOS up to date.. But hadn't done anything to update iGlide. Until I deleted and reloaded.. It might just be that something got corrupted, because I hadn't had any trouble saving routes until recently. Anyway it's good now. And I agree, iGlide is really excellent - especially on an iPad.
Old July 28th 17, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

The middle one is great for xc
Expensive one for contests