Glider Crash in CA

Old March 17th 14, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom (2NO)

Default Glider Crash in CA

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/gene...ear-wrightwood

Glad everyone is okay!
Old March 17th 14, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

What's miraculous to me is that the newspaper only used the word
"miraculous" three times, while the word "crash" was used eleven times.

A little better information would be much appreciated. I won't count on the
NTSB report and, if it was a commercial ride, I won't expect the pilot to be
talking much, either.

Old March 17th 14, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Clark, \B6\

"The glider, described as a DG Flugzeugbau DG100S, 'reportedly crashed in rugged terrain 5.6 miles north of Wrightwood under unknown circumstances," FAA spokesman Allen Kenitzer said. "The aircraft sustained substantial damage.'"

So easy and quick to get correct and complete basic information from the same FAA Databases the reporter seems to have used to identify the registered owner:
N624RM is assigned to DG FLUGZEUGBAU GMBH DG-1000S registered to SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA SOARING ACADEMY INC.

Using " DG-100S" for Make / Model Inquiry generates: "No records found for your request please try again"

Old March 17th 14, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

As I read the article, the reporter is quoting a Sheriff's department spokesperson on the "Miraculous" thing. One of the occurrences of that word in the article is in the lead, which sums up the entire article in a single 30 or so word sentence. The second is in a direct quote from the spokesperson.

The other two occurrences on the page are in the headline, which the hapless reporter has absolutely no control over, and the other is in a link to the article, citing it by its headline.

As for the description of the incident as a crash, I think that a layman's interpretation of 14CFR§830 would side with the reporter. The people on board sustained injuries and the aircraft is said to have sustained substantial damage, so this isn't the kind of thing where a routine off-field landing is reported as a "crash."

Yes, the reporter might have done a better job identifying the aircraft type. But again, they are probably quoting the Sheriff's department. As for why they didn't confirm with the FAA registry database, yes, that is a bit sloppy. Feel free to contact the reporter and set them straight.

Thanks, Bob K.

, and the

Old March 17th 14, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Monday, March 17, 2014 1:01:08 PM UTC-7, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

As for the description of the incident as a crash, I think that a layman's interpretation of 14CFR§830 would side with the reporter...

My bad, it is actually 49CFR§830.

Also, I apologize about the tone of my earlier post. I would just like to stress that reporters aren't necessarily out to get us. They are just in a tough business that gives them little control over how their stories appear and precious little time to do research.

If this guy got the time and place right, spelled the names right, and got the aircraft ID in the ballpark, then he is doing better than the NTSB sometimes does for glider accidents and incidents.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old March 18th 14, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Monday, March 17, 2014 5:54:40 PM UTC-5, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
Also, I apologize about the tone of my earlier post. I would just like to stress that reporters aren't necessarily out to get us. They are just in a tough business that gives them little control over how their stories appear and precious little time to do research. If this guy got the time and place right, spelled the names right, and got the aircraft ID in the ballpark, then he is doing better than the NTSB sometimes does for glider accidents and incidents. Thanks, Bob K.

That's OK, Bob. And when you read the article carefully, the most humorous part is the National Transportation Safety Boar. Yes, we have one of those. They bring him to the site of an accident. He roots around, kicks up a lot of dirt, snorts a lot, and in general messes things up. Tends to eat the evidence, too. Or, is that the National Transportation Safety Goat? I get them confused all the time.

Steve

Old March 18th 14, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Can't argue with that, Bob. ...And no offense taken. I was only
complaining about the hype and hysteria breathless type of reporting. Think
Joe Friday...

Old March 19th 14, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Glad all were OK.
Old March 27th 14, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:05:42 AM UTC-7, Sean Fidler wrote:
Glad all were OK.

Speedy work by the Sheriff's Dept. Good to have their equipment available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0Jw...em-uploademail

Old March 27th 14, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CLewis95

On Thursday, March 27, 2014 2:05:23 PM UTC-5, CindyB wrote:
On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:05:42 AM UTC-7, Sean Fidler wrote:

Glad all were OK.

Speedy work by the Sheriff's Dept. Good to have their equipment available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0Jw...em-uploademail

Great vid Cindy! .. thx for putting this link up. I will personally use this as another good illustration of superior "crash-worthiness" aspects of our modern glider designs.
Curt Lewis - 95

Glider Crash in Shirley, NY [email protected] Soaring 15 May 7th 13 09:23 PM
Littlefield, Tx Glider Crash LongJourney Soaring 2 May 2nd 13 03:50 AM
Glider Crash - Minden? Mitch Soaring 141 September 13th 06 07:31 PM
Scottish Glider Crash Mike the Strike Soaring 22 July 16th 06 11:00 PM
Glider/Skydiving Crash dm Soaring 0 September 27th 03 05:13 PM