Alfonso Jurado

Old August 9th 16, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Alfonso Jurado

I had the privilege of flying with Fonz for many years at Thermal Research in Miami. I have photos of that very 20 flying in formation over the Florida coast .
Yes Alfonso was one of the very best and he could get the very best out of that ole bird. For a few years it was usually Bennie Flowers, Alfonso, Jon Fox and myself flying almost daily. Paul Crowell,"Pablo", was our tow pilot and was there to get us off the ground.
Yes, there are many tall tales about the Fonz, some would have you laughing and shaking your heads. He always could find that last thermal of the day to get home from those places like Shark River Valley, or the lower area of the Everglades Park. Those days of flying sailplanes In Miami were the best, and it was guys like Bennie, Jon, and Fonz that make those memories so special.
My wife and I attended the memorial fly-in at Homestead, I carried my old scrapbook that contained may pictures of Alfonso in that very 20. Pictures of many glider pilots and tow pilots were a welcome sight by many, Alfonso Jr. really enjoyed seeing his dad flying that 20. Alfonso was a unique person, kind, helpful, and a true friend. Thanks for the memories. Bob and Eileen
Old August 10th 16, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, September 6, 2015 at 4:52:18 PM UTC-4, Echo wrote:
That 20 definitely seems to know what to do, whatever magic he put on it! Any truth to the florida keys Soaring?

Jordan

Jordan,

My dad was a partner in an Open Cirrus at Kendall Gliderport and mostly flew there (or Richard's Field), back in the early to mid 1980's (Bill Harris was his flight instructor I believe). Eventually, he joined Thermal Research but by the 90's his business in the Upper Keys and our kids' weekend sports activities left him with little time for himself to fly gliders. I am aware of a first person account told by Frank Manson (of Marathon), where he and a handful of the regulars (so I would have to assume that would have included your dad), flew a sea breeze front that extended down the Keys down to Marathon but they chickened out before going any further to Key West. My understanding of it was that as the convergence built up there was lift that allowed them to climb up the side of the clouds so they were able to get up to 10-12k'+ maybe higher. I was just a kid at the time and didn't totally understand what all they were talking about but I've known that story for a long long time. In any case, if you ask around you might get the rest of the story.

On another note, Tom is right. I rented Miami Glider's Std. Cirrus once at Homestead General and when I got to 8,000+MSL right on the edge of Florida Bay I was really tempted to final glide to Tavernaero Airport (Plantation Key), where my family has a lot on the airport. If it hadn't been a rental ship I surely would have done it just to be the first to saor the Keys. Ironically, my dad's dream was to buy a Lark motorglider and routinely soar up and down the Keys. I still have a copy of a Purchase Order for a Lark that cost about $48k back in the early 80's. He must have backed out because he never bought it.

Best regards,

Chris Schrader

Old August 10th 16, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Echo

On Saturday, August 6, 2016 at 10:39:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi Jordan,
This is Sergio Jurado, Alfonso's son, please email me when you get a moment.....

Thanks,

Sergio, sent you an email. Thanks.
Old August 14th 16, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 2:53:08 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
[...]

What you are referring to is a flight that Bennie Flowers and I had back in the day where we encountered a strange cloud formation and rode a Florida Wave to over 10K. There was an article written about this flight in Soaring magazine titled, Catching A Florida Wave. Bennie and I actually did it twice, it was one of the best rides ever, we could have made Bimini. Bob
Old August 27th 16, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Echo

On Monday, August 8, 2016 at 7:28:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Would love to see those pictures!

Jordan
Old September 12th 16, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, September 4, 2015 at 7:06:30 AM UTC-6, Echo wrote:
Good Morning,

I am entering my 4th year as the 3rd owner of ASW20 #20463, better known as Alfonso's 20. I grew up soaring in New Castle, VA, and saw Alfonso a few times but never really knew him. It is my understanding that he has bad dementia now. I know the former Miami gliderport was his home field, however he never logged any soaring outside contests. I've heard many things, such as him soaring to the keys, aileron rolls with water, soaring with the canopy open, and impossible landouts. In an effort to write down all the legends, myths, and stories, I'm hoping to document all the stories and keep them with the airplane documents. Thanks!

...and yes, it still looks and flies pretty well! (and still manages to get me home)

Jordan
ASW20 'E'

The contest site was Littlefield, TX. Charlie called a triangle to Portales and Levelland. After turning Portales, the Fonz was 2 turns higher in a great thermal when he headed east southeast. I stayed in the thermal for 2 more turns and headed out following him. He started down, fast and I moved south into better air and watched him do the lawn dart thing - descending lower and lower and then dumping water. I lost sight of him as we went under a shelf and I went searching for lift. After finally making Levelland I headed back to Littlefield. Tuning in gate frequency at 10 minutes out served only to ruin my day as I was rewarded with hearing Alfonzo call 2 minutes out. A lesson in humility??
Old September 12th 16, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The contest site was Littlefield, TX. Charlie called a triangle to Portales and Levelland. After turning Portales, the Fonz was 2 turns higher in a great thermal when he headed east southeast. I stayed in the thermal for 2 more turns and headed out following him. He started down, fast and I moved south into better air and watched him do the lawn dart thing - descending lower and lower and then dumping water. I lost sight of him as we went under a shelf and I went searching for lift. After finally making Levelland I headed back to Littlefield. Tuning in gate frequency about 10 minutes served only to ruin my day as I was rewarded with hearing Alfonzo call 2 minutes out. A lesson in humility??