Seeking input on Glasflugel/Slingsby Kestrel

Old September 9th 16, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Seeking input on Glasflugel/Slingsby Kestrel

On Sunday, May 2, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Bill Jackson wrote:
I am thinking about purchasing one of these ships if I can, the Sligsby
T59D 19m model. I have no familiarity with them and would like to hear
from pilots/owners in two main areas:

1) suitability of this ship for a relatively low time pilot, handling
etc
and
2) maintanance and upkeep etc.

I have about 200 glider hours total, most of it in a Russia AC-4 after
initial training and flying in Schweizers. I love the look of the
Kestrel and like the specifications. I have flown a Lark with flaps and
decided I would like my next ship to have them, hence my interest in the
Kestrel! How is this ship to assemble? I know its going to be a lot
more hassle than my Russia - does it have automatic control hookups?

I am also interested to hear if their are any maintenance issues owners
may have come across since I gather Slingsby is no longer in business.
Are parts available? Can parts be acquired from Glasflugel?

Any comments much apprecaited, either to the newsgroup or by email to me
at

thanks

Bill Jackson

Does anyone reading this post know where I can get a forward canopy section for my Kestrel in the USA?

Mike B
Old September 10th 16, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

On Friday, 9 September 2016 15:17:08 UTC-4, wrote:
Does anyone reading this post know where I can get a forward canopy section for my Kestrel in the USA?

Mike B

I seem to recall reading an article about modifying the Kestrel with a full-length canopy by using a DG-100 (101?) canopy. Sorry, don't recall the source.
Old September 12th 16, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Keith Andrews

wrote:
Does anyone reading this post know where I can get a forward

canopy
section for my Kestrel in the USA?

Mike B

I seem to recall reading an article about modifying the Kestrel with a
full-length canopy by using a DG-100 (101?) canopy. Sorry, don't

recall
the source.

We just had LP Aero at http://www.lpaero.com/ make a canopy for our
club glider. They did a very good job.

Keith A.

Glasflugel AD BruceGreeff Soaring 8 November 8th 11 01:06 AM
Seeking expert input on decompression/altitude sickness Glen Kelley[_2_] Soaring 0 September 17th 11 09:58 PM
FS: Glasflugel H401 Kestrel [email protected] Soaring 2 August 14th 07 05:52 PM
Slingsby Kestrel 19m Grant Johnson Soaring 1 July 27th 06 06:14 AM
Starter selection -- seeking input [email protected] Owning 3 April 5th 04 12:43 AM