Cambridge 302 and Super netto

Old September 13th 03, 10:41 AM
Marc Ramsey

"John Galloway" wrote...
That's my point - you can configure winpilot/GlideNav
for a bugs adjusted final glide height calculation
on your PDA but there is no capability for the 302
to accept a bugs adjusted polar from either the PDA
or a 303. This is confirmed by CAI who, when I queried
this, said there was no need for a bugs page on the
302 or the 303 because the 302 couldn't use it.

The 302 accepts, but ignores, the bug setting. The 302 data protocol includes a
command to send a new polar, if the authors of the PDA wanted to, they could
send an updated polar each time the bug setting changes. Apparently, some don't
want to...

Marc

Old September 13th 03, 07:13 PM
John Galloway

Marc,

That is a very interesting and, to me, surprising piece
of information. Here is what Peter Rogers sent me
on Feb 10th in answer to a query about using a 302/303
combination which I had found had no setting for bugs
at all:

'Hello John -
As you know the 303 does not currently have a 'Bugs'
screen. The reason
for this is the 302 does not utilize any 'Bug' information
in determining
final glide. We may at some point implement it but
it has not been a high
priority. Since it's not used we didn't see a point
of making a screen for
it since it would give our customers a false impression
that we were using
the value in our calculations when in fact we were
not.

Pete'

Which software does send a new bugs adjusted polar
to the 302? Will it make the PDA software, the 303
final glide altitudes, and the 302 speed to fly all
use the same polar?
I know that GlideNav and PocketNav do not because if
I fly in buggy conditions and put a bug factor in GlideNav
the GN final glide altitudes and the 303 final glide
altitudes diverge subsantially so the bugs setting
on GN is only being used there and not sent to the
302/303. The ballast setting is sent.

Thanks,

John Galloway

Old September 13th 03, 07:37 PM
Marc Ramsey

"John Galloway" wrote...
Which software does send a new bugs adjusted polar
to the 302? Will it make the PDA software, the 303
final glide altitudes, and the 302 speed to fly all
use the same polar?

My homebuilt software changes the polar in the 302 when the bug setting is
changed. This affects the 302 STF indications, but would not, to my knowledge,
change anything in the 303 (I don't have one). The 303 listens for changes in
ballast, MacCready, etc., from the 302, but there probably isn't any way for it
to know that the polar has changed. The only way to get bug support in the 303
is to lobby Cambridge to change the firmware.

Marc

Old September 13th 03, 08:57 PM
John Galloway

Marc,

Thanks, I understand now. That would be a step in
the right direction and I think that a new pre-calculated
polar sent to the 302 will probably be used by the
303.

However that is not quite the same as the 302 having
the ability to calculate a new polar for itself from
a bugs setting entered on e.g. a hypothetical new bugs
factor screen which is what I think would be far more
generally useful (essential) in that it could be used
no matter what software is used in the PDA or even
with no PDA for 302/303 users.

In the case of ballast settings, I think that GN11
sends a setting to the 302 (which then calculates the
ballast adjusted polar internally) rather than sending
a newly calculated polar, so the 302 should be able
to do the same for bugs settings sent from the PDA
- IMHO.

Another note to CAI I think.

John Galloway

'John Galloway' wrote...