Junkers Ju 87 (Stuka)

Old July 12th 16, 04:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

Default Junkers Ju 87 (Stuka)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_87

The Junkers Ju 87 or Stuka (from Sturzkampfflugzeug, "dive bomber") was a German
dive bomber and ground-attack aircraft designed by Hermann Pohlmann and first
flew in 1935. The Ju 87 made its combat debut in 1937 with the Luftwaffe's
Condor Legion during the Spanish Civil War. It served the Axis forces in World
War II.

The aircraft was easily recognisable by its inverted gull wings and fixed
spatted undercarriage. Upon the leading edges of its faired main gear legs were
mounted the Jericho-Trompete ("Jericho trumpet") wailing sirens, becoming the
propaganda symbol of German air power and the blitzkrieg victories of 1939–1942.
The Stuka's design included several innovative features, including automatic
pull-up dive brakes under both wings to ensure that the aircraft recovered from
its attack dive even if the pilot blacked out from the high g-forces.

Once the Luftwaffe lost air superiority, on all fronts, the Ju 87 again became
an easy target for enemy fighter aircraft. Despite these developments, because
there was no better replacement, the type continued to be produced until 1944.
By the end of the conflict, the Stuka had been largely replaced by ground-attack
versions of the Focke-Wulf Fw 190, but was still in use until the last days of
the war. An estimated 6,500 Ju 87s of all versions were built between 1936 and
August 1944.

Role Dive bomber
Manufacturer Junkers
Designer Hermann Pohlmann
First flight 17 September 1935
Introduction 1936
Retired 1945 (Luftwaffe)
Primary users Luftwaffe
Regia Aeronautica
Royal Romanian Air Force
Bulgarian Air Force
Number built Estimated 6,500

The design of the Ju 87 had begun in 1933 as part of the Sturzbomber-Programm.
The Ju 87 was to be powered by the British Rolls-Royce Kestrel engine. Ten
engines were ordered by Junkers on 19 April 1934 for £ 20,514, two shillings and
sixpence.[7] The first Ju 87 prototype was built by AB Flygindustri (sv) in
Sweden and secretly brought to Germany in late 1934. It was to have been
completed in April 1935, but, due to the inadequate strength of the airframe,
construction was not completed until October 1935

Despite being chosen, the design was still lacking and drew frequent criticism
from Wolfram von Richthofen.

These problems were to be resolved by installing the Daimler-Benz DB 600 engine,
but delays in development forced the installation of the Jumo 210 Da in-line
engine.

Specifications (Ju 87 B-2)

General characteristics
Crew: 2
Length: 11.00 m (36 ft 1.07 in)
Wingspan: 13.8 m (45 ft 3.30 in)
Height: 4.23 m (13 ft 10.53 in)
Wing area: 31.90 m² (343.37 ft²)
Empty weight: 3,205 kg (7,086 lb)
Loaded weight: 4,320 kg (9,524 lb)
Max. takeoff weight: 5,000 kg (11,023 lb)
Powerplant: 1 × Junkers Jumo 211D liquid-cooled inverted V12 engine, 1200 PS
(1,184 hp (883 kW))
Propellers: Three-blade Junkers VS 5 propeller, 1 per engine
Propeller diameter: 3.4 m (11 ft 1.85 in)

Performance
Never exceed speed: 600 km/h (373 mph) (373 mph)
Maximum speed: 390 km/h @ 4,400 m (242 mph @ 13,410 ft)
Range: 500 km (311 mi) with 500 kg (1,100 lb) bomb load
Service ceiling: 8,200 m (26,903 ft) with 500 kg (1,100 lb) bomb load

Armament
Guns: 2× 7.92 mm (.312 in) MG 17 machine gun forward, 1× 7.92 mm (.312 in) MG 15
machine gun to rear
Bombs: Normal load = 1× 250 kg (550 lb) bomb beneath the fuselage and 4× 50 kg
(110 lb), two bombs underneath each wing.

*

Old July 12th 16, 08:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Byker

"Miloch" wrote in message ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_87

Navalized Ju-87 Stuka and the carrier it never got to operate from
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ju87c-1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	85937  Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju87C-1-.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	85938
Old July 12th 16, 08:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Byker

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	junkers-ju-87-c-bomber-3.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	85939  Click image for larger version

Name:	SchleuderstartJu87C.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	85940
Old July 12th 16, 08:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Byker

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju87-Trager-7.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	85941  Click image for larger version

Name:	ju87c1---.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	85942
Old July 12th 16, 08:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Byker

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ju87.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	85943  Click image for larger version

Name:	ju87d4.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	85944
Old July 12th 16, 08:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Byker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_..._Graf_Zeppelin
Old July 20th 16, 07:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Rene[_2_]

On 12 Jul 2016 08:29:13 -0700, Miloch
wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_87

The Junkers Ju 87 or Stuka (from Sturzkampfflugzeug, "dive bomber") was a German
dive bomber and ground-attack aircraft designed by Hermann Pohlmann and first
flew in 1935. The Ju 87 made its combat debut in 1937 with the Luftwaffe's
Condor Legion during the Spanish Civil War. It served the Axis forces in World
War II.

A beautiful series!

I am very curious how those psycholochical warfare sirens actually
worked ("Trumpets of Jericho")
I know the were driven by small propellors in the slipstream; I have
seen several photos of these units, but I fail to see how the actual
noise is made.
All I can see is a ram air propeller on a smooth tube without obvious
holes for sound emission.
Does anybody have an exploded view or such of the internals of these
parts?

Just a curious mind that wants to know how such small devices could
make so much noise!
Old July 20th 16, 04:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Charles Lindbergh

wrote:

[...]

I think this is a better picture.

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...tuka-Siren.jpg
Old July 21st 16, 10:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Rene[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

In case my included photo does not work:
http://origin-images.rcuniverse.com/...12/Lj22042.jpg

No sound emitting holes!
Old July 21st 16, 02:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Charles Lindbergh

wrote:

[...]

Looking at the picture you posted, it appears that is only the drive
unit for the siren. I believe there is a shaft, behind and to the
right of the propeller which is driving the war horn / siren. Of
course, I could be wrong.