'Nother PW-5/World Class question

Old November 21st 03, 04:02 PM
Bob Kuykendall

Default 'Nother PW-5/World Class question

Somebody posted on this topic a while back, but I can't find it now.
So my apologies for repeating it:

For how long is the PW-5 the official glider of the World Class? Are
there any provisions in the FAI or IGC rules for the eventual
retirement of the design and a switch to a second-generation WC
glider?

Just wondering...

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com
Old November 21st 03, 04:04 PM
Janusz Kesik

AFAIK since about 1995, and I think there is at least ten years interval
between any changes.

Regards,

Janusz.

Old November 24th 03, 01:19 PM
cernauta

"Janusz Kesik" wrote:

AFAIK since about 1995, and I think there is at least ten years interval
between any changes.

I think there was a proposal to extend the time interval to 15 years
(2010); I am just not sure that it was approved.

Aldo Cernezzi
Old November 24th 03, 04:55 PM
JohnD

The original IGC committment was for 15 years taking the class to
2009. However at a recent IGC meeting there was discussion regarding
what to do in 2006 and there might be changes for that year. Some in
the committee consider the 15 year committment to be firm. There is no
clear idea as to how they would replace the WC.

Hope all is well with you and your family Bob. Happy Holiday & see ya
next June!

Old November 26th 03, 05:25 PM
Mark James Boyd

The original IGC committment was for 15 years taking the class to
2009. However at a recent IGC meeting there was discussion regarding
what to do in 2006 and there might be changes for that year. Some in
the committee consider the 15 year committment to be firm. There is no
clear idea as to how they would replace the WC.

I wonder if the IGC would consider something like the Centrair Pegasus
101D for the new WC. Maybe a slightly shrunk wingspan version? It sure
would be nice to have a retractable main wheel...
Old November 27th 03, 06:19 PM
Mark James Boyd

I wonder if the IGC would consider something like the Centrair Pegasus
101D for the new WC. Maybe a slightly shrunk wingspan version? It sure

fly with better performance, e. g. the LS-4.

Hmmm...so is there anything that would prevent the 101D or LS-4
from being the next World Class glider? Were there limitations
on wingspan or retract for the world class? Weight limitations?
Ballast limitations?

From a practical standpoint, the LS-4 seems to be mildly
competitive in the Standard class as well. One also
wonders how insurance compares between the LS-4, 101D, and PW-5.
Is insurance based on ballast, retract, or handling?
How would the price differ if the LS-4 was delivered without
the water ballast option? Could the ballast option be easily
added later by an A&P?

There are some real disadvantages to an LS-4 instead of
a PW-5 (weight, assembly/wing weight, landout wingspan,
retract/ballast complexity, insurance) but it seems none
of these are elegantly avoidable if we want more performance
in the World Class.

Hmmm...I'm going to do a little investigation into
insurance for LS-4, PW-5, and 101D. Then perhaps a flight
to Minden, CA for an LS-4 flight ;-)

Old November 27th 03, 06:29 PM
Robert Ehrlich

Andreas Maurer wrote:

On 26 Nov 2003 10:25:05 -0700, (Mark James Boyd)
wrote:

I wonder if the IGC would consider something like the Centrair Pegasus
101D for the new WC. Maybe a slightly shrunk wingspan version? It sure
would be nice to have a retractable main wheel...

I fail completely to understand why a smaller span (and crippled
performance) should lower production costs significantly. Why no
outgrown glider with up-to-date performance?

Changing wing span to, say, 14 meters will cost about 5 points of L/D,
and I doubt that it will safe more than $500 (slightly less material
needed, and three man-hours saved for finish).

I like the Pegase, but there are gliders out there that are easier to
fly with better performance, e. g. the LS-4.

Such a decision should have been taken earlier in order to have some
success. Centrair stopped the production of Pegases one year ago as
they had only one order for the year, Schneider stopped the production of
the LS-4 when DG took them over. Anyway if one of these gliders could be
built in a country of low cost, licensed from the original manufacturer,
it would probably have a better chance of success of success than the PW5
for a similar cost, as all initial investments (design, molds, tools,
certification) are already done. Reducing the wingspan will just re-introduce
such investments and related costs, and nobody is going to take such a risk
with a number of produced units difficult to foresee.

On the question of which of Pegase and LS-4 has the better performance,
opinions vary. In my club, almost everybody including myself consider
them as equivallent in performance, although the LS-4 is considered as
a little easier to handle, and some people think than in strong days with
max water, the Pegase is slightly better. The Germans, like Andreas, prefer
their own production and this is reflected in the handicap tables made by
them. This is probably the reason why in the National French Club Class
Championship almost only Pegases are persent, although LS-4 are also well
spread in France, because the German handicap is used and so Pegases have
a little advantage.