'Nother PW-5/World Class question

Old November 27th 03, 08:42 PM
Andreas Maurer

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:29:12 +0000, Robert Ehrlich
wrote:

On the question of which of Pegase and LS-4 has the better performance,
opinions vary. In my club, almost everybody including myself consider
them as equivallent in performance, although the LS-4 is considered as
a little easier to handle, and some people think than in strong days with
max water, the Pegase is slightly better. The Germans, like Andreas, prefer
their own production and this is reflected in the handicap tables made by
them. This is probably the reason why in the National French Club Class
Championship almost only Pegases are persent, although LS-4 are also well
spread in France, because the German handicap is used and so Pegases have
a little advantage.

I don't think that there are too many technical differences between
LS-4 and Pegase. Performance doesn't matter in this case (how many
student pilot's club ships are ever flown with water?) as long as the
L/D is in the range of 40.
The only advantage of the LS-4 I can think of at the moment is that
it's a little less prone to drop a wing during aerotow.

Bye
Andreas
Old November 27th 03, 08:50 PM
Andreas Maurer

On 27 Nov 2003 11:19:47 -0700, (Mark James Boyd)
wrote:

Hmmm...so is there anything that would prevent the 101D or LS-4
from being the next World Class glider?

Yes.. the commitee that decided that this was the job af the PW-5...
lol.

Were there limitations
on wingspan or retract for the world class? Weight limitations?
Ballast limitations?

I guess ballast limitations (no water ballast), maybe fixed gear. But
these limitations are up to discussion if a new glider was selected -
the selling price plays an important role here.

From a practical standpoint, the LS-4 seems to be mildly
competitive in the Standard class as well. One also
wonders how insurance compares between the LS-4, 101D, and PW-5.

More or less identical.

Is insurance based on ballast, retract, or handling?
How would the price differ if the LS-4 was delivered without
the water ballast option?

It might help a little (some standard class gliders are /have been
available without water bags or even with fixed gear.. but I don't
remember how much cheaper they were).
But the main problem of the high price is the finish - this is where
most man-hours could be saved, still delivering as glider with a
relatively good finish that can be enhanced in a club if necessary.

Could the ballast option be easily
added later by an A&P?

In Pegase and LS-4 - definitely yes.

There are some real disadvantages to an LS-4 instead of
a PW-5 (weight, assembly/wing weight, landout wingspan,
retract/ballast complexity, insurance) but it seems none
of these are elegantly avoidable if we want more performance
in the World Class.

Hmm... the PW-5 wings are a little lighter... but you barely feel a
difference. The same goes for the slightly higher ramp weight of the
LS-4.
If you have trouble to hit a field with 15 meters wingspan, you'll
definitely have the same trouble with 13.6 either.
Retractable gear and water would be eliminated to lower the costs -
and if the "World Class LS4" would be sold for a similar price as the
PW-5 (No doubt about that this is possible), insurance costs would be
similar.

Hmmm...I'm going to do a little investigation into
insurance for LS-4, PW-5, and 101D. Then perhaps a flight
to Minden, CA for an LS-4 flight ;-)

Don't do that. You will not want to fly a PW-5 again.
Bye
Andreas
Old November 27th 03, 09:47 PM
Waduino

Well, I guess some entrepreneurial chap could head off to China and find a
way to manufacture a dry LS4, maybe with fixed gear for a relatively good
price, assuming DG wanted to play along.
If it wasn't a new "World Class", and you probably wouldn't want to count on
it even if it was rumoured, could such a sailplane find a niche in today's
market?
Hmmmm.....
Wad.

"Mark James Boyd" wrote in message
I wonder if the IGC would consider something like the Centrair Pegasus
101D for the new WC. Maybe a slightly shrunk wingspan version? It

sure

fly with better performance, e. g. the LS-4.

Hmmm...so is there anything that would prevent the 101D or LS-4
from being the next World Class glider? Were there limitations
on wingspan or retract for the world class? Weight limitations?
Ballast limitations?

From a practical standpoint, the LS-4 seems to be mildly
competitive in the Standard class as well. One also
wonders how insurance compares between the LS-4, 101D, and PW-5.
Is insurance based on ballast, retract, or handling?
How would the price differ if the LS-4 was delivered without
the water ballast option? Could the ballast option be easily
added later by an A&P?

Old November 28th 03, 01:55 AM
tango4

Hmmm...so is there anything that would prevent the or LS-4
from being the next World Class glider? Were there limitations
on wingspan or retract for the world class? Weight limitations?
Ballast limitations?

How about all the current LS-4 or 101D owners who would just love to see
their ships value dive because a brand new one could be bought for fraction
of their current value?

Ian

Old November 28th 03, 02:11 AM
Eric Greenwell

tango4 wrote:

How about all the current LS-4 or 101D owners who would just love to see
their ships value dive because a brand new one could be bought for fraction
of their current value?

Would the new manufacturer be so foolish as to sell new gliders for less
than the price of an old one, when he could easily get a higher price?
It would be more profitable to sell them for more than the price of a
used one, and set the price for enough sales for a suitable production
rate.

The used prices might drop a bit, but the owners of the used gliders
would be pleased to know that parts are available.

--
-----
Replace "SPAM" with "charter" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old November 28th 03, 05:29 AM
Mark James Boyd

Andreas Maurer wrote:
What are the WC limitations?

I guess ballast limitations (no water ballast), maybe fixed gear. But
these limitations are up to discussion if a new glider was selected -

how insurance compares between the LS-4, 101D, and PW-5.

More or less identical.

But the main problem of the high price is the finish - this is where
most man-hours could be saved, still delivering as glider with a
relatively good finish that can be enhanced in a club if necessary.

Could the ballast option be easily
added later by an A&P?

In Pegase and LS-4 - definitely yes.

I think I'll try a LS-4

Don't do that. You will not want to fly a PW-5 again.

Hmmm...it seems that an LS-4 manufactured without ballast but
with retract gear might be an excellent new World Class glider.
A good polar and standard class capability adds to the appeal.
Those who wanted to could add ballast later if wanted.
I personally wouldn't be interested in a WC fixed gear
LS-4, however. Hopefully this is not a WC requirement.

Andreas, thank you very kindly for your input and
response.
Old November 28th 03, 06:17 AM
tango4

But part of the whole purpose of the WCG was to provide a reasonably priced
entry level ship!

I'm not saying that thats the way it should have been. I think that a ship
like the Discus perhaps should have emerged as the world class. The cost
aspect should have been given lower priority in the selection process.
People then would have wanted to compete in a class that leveled the playing
field performance wise but still was an optimum performer at the time. In
sailing the olympic class boats are far from veing the cheapies!

Perhaps the IGC could come up with a brief that allowed the entry into the
selection process on the basis that the manufacturer would share design info
after a period of time allowing all other manufacturers to produce an
identical ship after the initial period.

This would have got ships like the Discus and LS8's into the process. Who
knows by the time the process starts again maybe one of the manufacturers
will give up their exclusive rights and allow this to happen with an
existing ship?

With several manufacturers producing ships to varying levels of finish
state, Kit, part assembled, complete, there would be natural price
competition as well as some preference for a particular manufacturers
product.

Ian

Old November 28th 03, 07:23 AM
Marcel Duenner

"Waduino" wrote in message m...
Well, I guess some entrepreneurial chap could head off to China and find a
way to manufacture a dry LS4, maybe with fixed gear for a relatively good
price, assuming DG wanted to play along.

Unfortunately DG has no more say in this...

I seriously doubt a newly built LS4 would be anywhere near the price
of a PW5.

The last LS4s built by Schneider costed about 15% less than an LS8.
Take production to Lithuania and cut another 10-15%.
Your new LS4-WC price is still double the PW5's! Talking of prices ex
works. Of course, shipping overeas will cost about the same.

Saving money by having a fixed gear - I don't know. Might save
3000Euros or so but also costs 2 points L/D. I think the original idea
of choosing the LS4 was to have a WC with 40/1.
Save money on the finish? Please! Anyone competing seriously will have
it re-sanded and polished - so what's the point?
Old November 28th 03, 10:18 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article ,
Andreas Maurer wrote:

Hmm... the PW-5 wings are a little lighter... but you barely feel a
difference. The same goes for the slightly higher ramp weight of the
LS-4.

The PW-5 wings are like feathers compared to anything else I've rigged.

-- Bruce