DG Flugzeugbau and LS: Not united...

Old December 2nd 03, 02:54 PM
Owain Walters

The way in that this deal has all come about is a bit
out of order. I understand that the associated parties
may feel angry about the whole situation and indeed
I also feel the high running feelings are justified.

However, believe it or not, even Eastern Europe is
in a market economy and if their products are no good
then they will go bust. By trying to force the manufacture
to remain in Germany and to refuse a higher bid is
nothing short of 'protectionism' and is highly uncompetitive.
I only highlight this as the Western European countries
(and Japan) have just forced the US to back down over
protectionism. (the steel import tariffs that the WTO
ruled illegal)

I beleive that German gliders are the best in the World.
But frankly the LS quality on the LS8s has been criticised
since day one of manufacture and I am not sure how
people can think that the Eastern Europeans can not
compete. Afterall, they are about to become our EU
brothers within the next year. They will be no worse
or better than the group.

Great way to welcome them on board.

Owain

At 14:36 02 December 2003, W.J. \bill\ Dean \u.K.\.
wrote:
I think it is a black day for all gliding, not just
for German gliding.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove 'ic' to reply.

'Janusz Kesik' wrote in message

Użytkownik W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.). w
wiadomo¶ci do grup dyskusyjnych

DG are publishing the messages they receive on their
web-site,
see 'Isn't it a shame - a black day for German gliding':

From their point of view, I fully understand that
'black day'. For
DG, not for German gliding.

JK

Old December 2nd 03, 04:30 PM
Paul T

In all of this DG/LS debate - haven't we just heard
one side of the story? What plans does Walter Eisele
& co have for the LS brand? It would be nice to hear,
before making judgements.

Old December 2nd 03, 05:09 PM
Marcel Duenner

"Janusz Kesik" wrote in message ...
U ytkownik W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.). w
wiadomo ci do grup dyskusyjnych
napisa ...
DG are publishing the messages they receive on their web-site,
see "Isn't it a shame - a black day for German gliding":

From their point of view, I fully understand that "black day". For
DG, not for German gliding.

JK

It remains to be seen what happens under the new owners and manufacturers.
I am not yet convinced it's a good solution for current LS owners.
I am pretty sure it's not the best solution for LS10 customers.

We shall see.
Old December 2nd 03, 05:22 PM
Greg Arnold

It remains to be seen what happens under the new owners and manufacturers.
I am not yet convinced it's a good solution for current LS owners.
I am pretty sure it's not the best solution for LS10 customers.

If the new owners decide not to produce the LS-10, probably they would
be quite happy to sell the molds and plans to the highest bidder. So
DG still could end up producing one LS glider. Of course, one suspects
that the real drawing card for DG was the LS-8, as the DG line lacks a
competitive Standard Class glider.

Old December 2nd 03, 09:13 PM
Ian Forbes

The DG / LS marriage makes sense from the point of view that the LS8 is a
proven, certified design with existing molds and an established reputation
for competitive performance.

DG does not have a competitive offering from their own stable. They could
do well having the LS8 in their catalogue.

I am not so sure about the argument of German or Eastern European
manufacture. I am pretty certain that if manufacture of the LS8
recommences, the bulk of it will happen in Eastern Europe. Despite what Mr
Weber may be talking about, between the lines it is clear that when he
took on LS the plan was to manufacture in Eastern Europe and any other
plans are at best only wishful thinking.

The argument then is between an organisation with German based design and
sales organization, or a an operation based entirely in Eastern European.
The later will probably get LS8's on the market at a lower price, and in
the long term that may count the most.

From my own perspective, as an owner of an LS3a, at this point in time the
DG option appears the most attractive. The uncertainty is obviously the
worst aspect.

As for the LS10, don't hold your breath waiting for it. Both DG and LAK
have exiting competing products that are already certified and in
production. The LS10 would have to have a significant performance
advantage over one of those two before anybody puts up the cash to make it
happen.

I don't expect to see the LS4 in production either. How much cheaper is it
to deliver an LS4 than an LS8. Particularly after you have paid for the
trailer, avionics and shipping. I suspect most buyers would pay the extra
and go for the new design with top of the class performance.

Watching this space with great interest.

Ian

Old December 2nd 03, 10:30 PM
John

This may be the best thing that could ever happen..... FOR SHEMP-HIRTH!

They're going to sell a lot of Ventus 2cx/18 ships.

Old December 2nd 03, 11:26 PM
Marc Ramsey

John wrote:

This may be the best thing that could ever happen..... FOR SHEMP-HIRTH!

They're going to sell a lot of Ventus 2cx/18 ships.

To those fortunate few who can still afford them. Oh, by the way,
before you take delivery, you might want to ask where the wings were made...

Marc