Anyone get hassled for exceeding max car and trailer length?

Old June 26th 17, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

Default Anyone get hassled for exceeding max car and trailer length?

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 9:25:00 AM UTC-6, wrote:
It's all OK as long as you are towing with a Tost hook on your vehicle.
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 10:05:39 AM UTC-4, howard banks wrote:
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 9:41:15 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Have you thought about the risk you put on some sleeping baby's life or yours if you were to jackknife?

OMG! Not just a baby's life, but a SLEEPING baby's life! Oh! The Humanity! Crawl back into your nice "Safe Place" and let the rest of the world actually DO something.

Mark, the panty-attired blossom forgot to add that the baby was sleeping (illegally) in the arms of a sweet grey-haired grandmother, and she was maimed too.

Better yet. Carry a tape measure. See, many years ago, a friend was towing his Nimbus 4 with his motor home. He got stopped in California somewhere. State trooper asked what length he was overall and he stated he didn't know but had a tape measure.
State trooper asked him if he could use it, my friend said sure and even helped him. My friend held the tape on the front of the motor home as the state trooper walked back to the end of the trailer. As the tape approached 65 ft. my friend just slid the tape back along side the motor home. Trooper asked what it read, he said 65 feet. All good and have a nice day!

Best. #711.
Old June 27th 17, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

Registered Florida. Federal laws allow travel, but not on all state highways/roads.

Florida Length:
48′ trailer (53′ semi-trailer must have kingpin setting of 41′ from center of kingpin to center of rear axle to be legal)
75′ overall length.

1500 pound trailer jackknifing a 35,000 pound motor home. Now really, LMAO!
Already been discussed with insurance. Not only one doing this.
Best. Tom #711.

Gordon should be fine in Oregon most places like I said. In Florida the 75ft length is for a commercial tractor-trailer rig but for non-comm it's 65ft, putting %711 8ft over. But who cares, you're a rebel, right?
Old June 27th 17, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

But who cares, you're a rebel, right?

Yes, we are. That's why we play the "Star Spangled Banner" instead of "God Save The Queen."

Old June 27th 17, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gordon Boettger

Thanks all for the replies and most of all the humor tied to this boring subject I brought up. I'm good to go. Motorhome on the way!! See ya on the road and in the air.
Gordo
Old June 27th 17, 08:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul B[_2_]

On Tuesday, 27 June 2017 10:10:46 UTC+10, Duster wrote:
Registered Florida. Federal laws allow travel, but not on all state highways/roads.

Florida Length:
48′ trailer (53′ semi-trailer must have kingpin setting of 41′ from center of kingpin to center of rear axle to be legal)
75′ overall length.

1500 pound trailer jackknifing a 35,000 pound motor home. Now really, LMAO!
Already been discussed with insurance. Not only one doing this.
Best. Tom #711.

Gordon should be fine in Oregon most places like I said. In Florida the 75ft length is for a commercial tractor-trailer rig but for non-comm it's 65ft, putting %711 8ft over. But who cares, you're a rebel, right?

Oh, so it is OK to kill sleeping babies in Oregon then?

Cheers

Paul
Old July 20th 17, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Duster wrote on 6/26/2017 1:35 AM:
Though several references state the Oregon limit is well beyond your 60' combo, I think you meant you'd be 10' over a 50' max (not 10")? Nevertheless, some references have it as a 65' max, with some selected highways 60', 50' or shorter. As for Mr. Kelly driving well over most state's combo limit for many years and getting away with it. Have you thought about the risk you put on some sleeping baby's life or yours if you were to jackknife? Are you sure your insurance company will pay physical/medical claims when the forensic police report discovers you were pulling a 73' rig? Good thing the adjusters are too dumb to perform a simple internet search to evidence your public boasting here in social media!

Motorhomes are far more stable towing a glider trailer than any SUV or car. Even a
small one like I have - 25' long, 13,500lbs - totally controls the situation, and
my 2500' lb, 34' glider trailer is unnoticeable behind it. Often, the motorhome
driver's first hint there is a big problem with the trailer is an excited motorist
driving alongside him, pointing wildly to the rear!

I've dealt with the situation by adding a tire pressure monitoring system to my
motorhome. It monitors the 6 tires on the motorhome and the 2 on the trailer.

My motorhome and trailer are 59' long, which is, I believe, legal in every state.

Old July 21st 17, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Eric, which TPMS are you using? Any particular problems with the trailer tires?

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
Old July 21st 17, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 7:47:28 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Eric, which TPMS are you using? Any particular problems with the trailer tires?

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"

Chip,
I know the question was for Eric, but I'll chime in anyways. After losing an inside dual and also setting at trailer tire on fire on the way to Nephi several years ago I invested in a TPMS.

Ended up going with the EEZRV TPMS and a variety of stem mounted sensors. It's working well on a 28' RV with an open class trailer behind it. The stem mounted sensors do mean that re-balancing the tires is a good idea after they're installed.

Craig Funston 7Q
Old July 21st 17, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks, Craig! The EEZRV is the one I was investigating. I don't have an RV but I've had tires go flat on my trailers behind a van. Often you can feel it, even see it if you're watching the rear view mirror closely. But at night, wind, passing trucks, and twisty roads can mask it until you've done rim damage. Curious to know who else uses this technology for glider trailers.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
Old July 21st 17, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]

Last century sometime there was a flap in Oregon concerning a vehicle law that prescribed the ratio of tow vehicle wheel base to trailer axle distance, and all glider towing rigs flunked. Maybe that one went away or is ignored?

A TPMS is a must have item for me, as I can't see, hear or feel what's going on back there. It's saved a couple tires/fenders.

KS